Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v India Test Series

Comments

• Options
    I've been watching England at Test level for 50 years and this is the first time we have ever had a player who could turn out to be a genuine spinning all rounder.

With Buttler in the side too, that will give us so many options so far as the balance of the team is concerned. On a bunsen burner we could now play two spinners (plus Root) and three quickies.

Say it quietly and it is only one Test but with all the top seven batsmen demonstrating some form the future might just be brighter than many of us thought a few weeks ago.

And who needs KP?
  • Options

Might wrap it up before Lunch.

Anybody else not been able to use Cricinfo this test, as its been so damn slow/unresponsive? Had to revert back to the good 'ol BBC.

working ok on pc ..not so good on phone

• Options

I've been watching England at Test level for 50 years and this is the first time we have ever had a player who could turn out to be a genuine spinning all rounder.

With Buttler in the side too, that will give us so many options so far as the balance of the team is concerned. On a bunsen burner we could now play two spinners (plus Root) and three quickies.

Say it quietly and it is only one Test but with all the top seven batsmen demonstrating some form the future might just be brighter than many of us thought a few weeks ago.

And who needs KP?

What a difference a week makes
  • Options
    One of the best all round performances for a while - everyone pretty much chipped in.
  • Options
    1 win in 10 and we get the 'who needs KP comments'.
  • Options

I bet Monty Panesar will be sinking a large Scotch about now....poor bastard, bet he can't believe his bad luck.

With an off spinning all rounder at 6, there's still scope for a slow left armer as well, as we could play both and still play 3 seamers. And of course it's not bad luck that Monty is out of the team!

An excellent performance by England, a complete reversal from Lords's, as this time it was India who were dismal. After the bore draw of Trent Bridge, suddenly the series looks exciting. Might try to get along to the Oval.
  • Options

I bet Monty Panesar will be sinking a large Scotch about now....poor bastard, bet he can't believe his bad luck.

With an off spinning all rounder at 6, there's still scope for a slow left armer as well, as we could play both and still play 3 seamers. And of course it's not bad luck that Monty is out of the team!

An excellent performance by England, a complete reversal from Lords's, as this time it was India who were dismal. After the bore draw of Trent Bridge, suddenly the series looks exciting. Might try to get along to the Oval.
    Good point Killer, lets not forget how dreadful India were in this game - dropped catches,Slog shots and out, no guts, bowling ineffective - so dreadful that even Kent would have beat them - hmmm, maybe thats pushing it a bit too far !
  • Options
    Yeah we needed that, bit of fortune in India deciding to forget how to bat against spin. But we did need that with a developing squad.

I love watching Joss Buttler and Moen Ali bat
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

1 win in 10 and we get the 'who needs KP comments'.

From what I can see he has a top score of 39 from his last 10 innings.

Still, I'm sure Surrey think that its money well spent - adds a few onto the crowd and he can't do any long term damage to the dressing room, can he?

Freddy's clearly a big fan too as he clearly blames Moores for the debacle the last time he managed England:

Moores is at it again . He's built successful teams everywhere he's been and this is the start of it ! #sussexenglancseng
  • Options
    Anderson found not guilty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/news/20876/9403234/james-anderson-cleared-of-breaching-code-of-conduct.

So, if Anderson is not guilty of pushing/jostling Jadeja.
    Surely Jadeja should be charged with something, like bringing the game into disrepute/wasting hearing time etc ?
  • Options

http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/news/20876/9403234/james-anderson-cleared-of-breaching-code-of-conduct.

So, if Anderson is not guilty of pushing/jostling Jadeja.
    Surely Jadeja should be charged with something, like bringing the game into disrepute/wasting hearing time etc ?

I think let it be - we dont want to be seen in the same childish light as India.Lets just smack them in the Test and beat them 3-1 - that will hurt them enough.
  • Options
    I agree entirely. But I'm just saying, if Anderson wasn't guilty, then he must have made it up ?
    Or he was guilty and it's all been swept under the carpet.
  • Options
    Great win. Thanks for all the updates all. I treat this like the Charlton match thread as, in the States, it is not that easy to keep on top of what's going on with the cricket. Excellent job :-)
  • Options
    Got tickets through work for day one at The Oval and then dinner with Graham Gooch, nice.
  • Options
    We've got tickets for day 1, but no dinner with Graham Gooch :-)
  • Options

We've got tickets for day 1, but no dinner with Graham Gooch :-)

Who's want to eat dinner with a West Ham supporter anyway :-)
  • Options

I agree entirely. But I'm just saying, if Anderson wasn't guilty, then he must have made it up ?

Suspect they are both guilty of a bit of handbags but the authorities, wisely for once, have decided to treat it as precisely that. A case of "behave yourselves ladies and move on".
  • Options
    Finn called into the squad for the 4th test, replacing Plunkett
  • Options

Suspect they are both guilty of a bit of handbags but the authorities, wisely for once, have decided to treat it as precisely that. A case of "behave yourselves ladies and move on".
    cant find the link at moment, but based on Sunday Mail back page, it doesnt seem that India are prepared to let go on this, surprise,surprise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Finn called into the squad for the 4th test, replacing Plunkett

Plunkett has an injury (ankle I think).
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2714295/England-bowler-James-Anderson-punished-altercation-Ravi-Jadeja-Indian-officials-consider-appealing-ICC-decision-lack-video-evidence.html

Jimmy Anderson case rolls on - not content with making themselves look stupid re DRS, they feel a need to continue with their arrogant and bullying stance.
    If i was Jimmy, i would look for a counter stance of harassment.
  • Options
    See the Weather forecast for Manchester for the game next week is fairly sh1tty, likely to be lots of rain and therefore would think a good candidate for a draw, so, all on the Oval for likely decider.
    I personally think they should dump Manchester and Headingley tests - they are always interrupted by the weather, have cr4p attendances, and good god, that monstrosity of a building they built at Old Trafford deserves to be demolished.
    Replace them with a guaranteed Southampton test, and another one in London, maybe we could spice it up a bit by having the first 2 days at Lords, then the next 2 days at The Oval, and then if they need a deciding day, have it at the Olympic Stadium.
  • Options

Got tickets through work for day one at The Oval and then dinner with Graham Gooch, nice.

Graham Gooch came out with one of my favourite cricket quotes about Warnes "Ball of the century." He reckoned Gatting would never have missed it if it had been a cheese roll....
  • Options
    edited August 2014

See the Weather forecast for Manchester for the game next week is fairly sh1tty, likely to be lots of rain and therefore would think a good candidate for a draw, so, all on the Oval for likely decider.
    I personally think they should dump Manchester and Headingley tests - they are always interrupted by the weather, have cr4p attendances, and good god, that monstrosity of a building they built at Old Trafford deserves to be demolished.
    Replace them with a guaranteed Southampton test, and another one in London, maybe we could spice it up a bit by having the first 2 days at Lords, then the next 2 days at The Oval, and then if they need a deciding day, have it at the Olympic Stadium.

Southampton Test had awful attendances as well !

I'd go for. Lords, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston, Old Trafford & Oval.

Durham & Cardiff, always rains & poorly attended.

Yorkshire & Southampton were poorly attended.
  • Options

Only poorly attended because of Sunday start - if it had been Thursday start it would have had full houses for first 4 days - promise !
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Only poorly attended because of Sunday start - if it had been Thursday start it would have had full houses for first 4 days - promise !
    Certainly better attendances. Day 1 gets a boost (Thursday) while Friday feels like part of the weekend!

If you have 2 tests in London, then Soton seems a bit of a duplicate as a number of people in SW London or North Hampshire could go to the Oval or Lords instead.
    A surprising number of people come up from London to watch matches elsewhere, with tickets nearly half the price and cheap train deals it can work out worthwhile
  • Options

Certainly better attendances. Day 1 gets a boost (Thursday) while Friday feels like part of the weekend!

If you have 2 tests in London, then Soton seems a bit of a duplicate as a number of people in SW London or North Hampshire could go to the Oval or Lords instead.
    A surprising number of people come up from London to watch matches elsewhere, with tickets nearly half the price and cheap train deals it can work out worthwhile
    Suppose i'm a bit biased , living down the road from The Ageas, and the fact thats its best stadium in England for watching a match (where else can you walk around the ground and still watch the cricket becasue of its elevated position) but you have to remember that there is a big corridor into Dorset/Devon and Sussex via the M27/A27 which would enable people from those areas to go to a match that they might not be able to go to in London.
    I would also have 3 Tests in London just to wind up Norveners, but, tbh, the attendances at OT and Headingley just dont warrant having them there - lets see what happens with the crowds this coming Test.
  • Options

Graham Gooch came out with one of my favourite cricket quotes about Warnes "Ball of the century." He reckoned Gatting would never have missed it if it had been a cheese roll....
    lets face it though ...rather have lunch with Gatts ..it would be bigger, last longer with no naughty boy long distance runs

• Options
    I went to OT last summer and Headingley the year before. Infinitely more enjoyable than any test I've been to at the Oval. Having said that I am going to the Oval for the fifth test this time but that's through being busy for the other tests this summer.