Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This storm

edited July 2014 in Not Sports Related
Thunder and lightning around Gatwick all sides for around an hour so far.

It's incredibly cool.

Though I can't flipping sleep with it going on!

Comments

• Options
    Just reached Woolwich. I like a good storm.
  • Options
    Would be far more enjoyable if it wasn't 0308
  • Options
    Probably the biggest storm I can ever remember. Incredible.
  • Options
    Mental. Good hour or so in Hainault
  • Options
    Finished now but seems very dark out.
  • Options

hail that fell on Calgary today after at least a week of 30+ temperatures.....
  • Options
    NLAs balls have doubled !

Man, that was a decent storm. Has an exact replica one in Majorca last month, but that's the most sustained lightening I can remember here.

Could not get to sleep, was so hot, then when I finally got off about 2 the storm started and was up for another hour or so.

Great prep for a 14hr shift !
  • Options
    Absolutely amazing. Was happy to be woken up to be honest. That was so cool. Reminds you how powerful nature is!
  • Options
    At one point the wind shut the quite stiff double glazed bedroom windows. Also had to tape down our letter box at wind was constantly rattling it. Surprised no damage in garden to be honest.

Like others have said, not sure seen such sustained lightning in this country before. Reminded me of a storm in Thailand.
  • Options
    Loudest thunder I've heard in 40 years
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most wild electric storm I think I have experienced in the UK - hit me at 1.30 so must have been heading North / East

Little 'un didn't notice it all of course !
  • Options
    I was sitting here chatting to my brother on skype last night and could hear it coming over loud & clear at his end down in Worthing. We then ended up watching it moving ever closer to the coast on this http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Within the hour it had worked it's way up into kent

Rolling thunder that didn't want to end, accompanied by a fantastic light show and topped off with a torrential downpour. I actually found it very peaceful...........
  • Options
    mental storm, sat there at 3am just looking out the window....at the washing on the line!!!!.....and then realised the loft window was open DOH!....can't believe the kids slept through it!
  • Options
    Came right overhead at Falconwood.. Spectacular
  • Options
    Gutted to have slept through it. Am 20 mins away from Gatwick and my wife claims it was as loud and bright as she can remember, but it didn't stir me unfortunately. One of the best I have seen was from a hotel balcony in Dubrovnik as the storm and lightning gate crashed what was a calm Adriatic Sea before me. It was a little too close for my liking, but thrilling to watch.
  • Options
    now I either slept right through it in coastal East Sussex or it passed us by completely.
  • Options

now I either slept right through it in coastal East Sussex or it passed us by completely.

I'm in central Brighton and it definitely went over us here, amazing experience as others have said. So loud and vicious, just awesome.
  • Options

you could sleep through a nuclear war...........

As for Swanley last night...........lots of thunder & lightening followed by heavy rain but I don't think it was as good/bad as others had. Cooled the air down though & we now have a nice breeze this morning.
  • Options
    I live 10 minutes from Gatwick and I slept though it all
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Slept right through it!
  • Options
    Slept right through it
  • Options
    Tons of lightning but only distant rumbles of thunder here in Barnet. A tropical-style downpour though.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Looked decent from my bed but all a bit far away - Snodland seemed to miss much of the good stuff.

I was watching where it all was on lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en - it's amazing to see a flash and then 4 seconds later a local map shows exactly where it struck.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Tons of lightning but only distant rumbles of thunder here in Barnet. A tropical-style downpour though.

We had a lot of loud noise but the thunder bolts of lightning were worse... Was very very frightening
  • Options
    Brilliant storm in Woolwich, the flashes of lightning were amazing, like a strobe light at times, and the thunder was spectacular, the first rumble I heard sounded like a lorry had just driven through a building!
  • Options

I'm in central Brighton and it definitely went over us here, amazing experience as others have said. So loud and vicious, just awesome.
    I always think that Eastbourne and slightly beyond are in their own micro climate and bad weather seems to skirt round the downs as opposed to go over them and so we miss out.

Or I slept through it :-o

• Options
    That web link is quality Swiss.

Its all going off at Northampton
  • Options
    I thought the storm last year was far worse. No up-rooted trees this morning.

Managed to get back to sleep with no problems, thank god I closed the windows!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    What happened? A night of loud banging and flashing was just what I needed... Slept through it. Bollox!