Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Fun Day - Sunday 3rd August

Comments

• Options
    And the price of a pizza to cheer the kids up
  • Options
    The event was free granted but you do expect to be treated well because if this was my 1st visit to the valley I wouldn't be in a rush to go back
  • Options
    Took my 3 year old today. He enjoyed it, the players were quality with him, all posed for pictures & signed autographs. Callum Harriott was brilliant with him, real credit to the club.

Having said that, there wasn't much to do, other than badge making & loom bands - great idea from the club, just think it needed better organising, as some have already said, some of the staff didn't really know what was going on & it was a bit of a farce - the autograph session was the longest queue & loads of kids were bored.
  • Options
    Almonds said:

How can you criticize a free event, what do you have to complain about when its free.

Yes it was free but you still expect a certain level of service - there wasn't enough to do for the number of Children there
  • Options
    It was advertised as fun day , and if standing in a queue for a couple of hours to get autographs and waiting 30mins to get served at the bar is fun then i definately wasnt in the right place , it should av been just a photo shoot and looking at the players they really didnt want to be there ben haim looked really pissed off to me.
  • Options
    The organisation was poor and why it wasn't held outside is beyond me, but me and the kids met and got autographs from 24 of the first team squad (all of whom couldn't be friendlier), a photo with Johnnie Jackson and saw the ground in all it's glory and all that for free meant we had a great day.
  • Options
    Must say the stadium looks in good nick and the pitch looks superb .
  • Options

PL54 said:

How many there then?

Over 1,000 they reckon.
    I've no comment, issue, criticism or praise for anything going on in the lounges as we were refused entry.

To be fair, shouldn't really be pre-drinking for this sort of event AFKA, bouncers would never let you in...

Just jesting... :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PL54 said:

How many there then?

Over 1,000 they reckon.
    Would have been 4 more had we been allowed in !

Just to quantify a bit as i understand its open season to slag me off here and elsewhere apparently for some reason.

I've no comment, issue, criticism or praise for anything going on in the lounges as we were refused entry. My issue is a personal one based on how my wife and one of my four year olds was spoke to / dealt with by someone who works for the club when refusing us entry.

That's my issue, no one else's, and i'll take it up with the right people. If anyone gets some satisfaction from nose being put out of joint , well then that's up to them. But coming away from a 'fun for all the family' day with you and your missus upset, and one of your kids crying his eyes out wasn't what we was hoping from our first ever family visit to the Valley.

Sad to hear AFKA , but some people who work for the club nowadays are definately up there own arse , u never missed anything thats for sure.
  • Options
    Was it the chap on North stand reception? As far as the players couldn't be friendlier, he was the total opposite.......
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    My mate just texted me. He said it was the most appalingly disorganised event, he has ever attended.
    Boom, back of the net, own goal to Charlton.
    The moral of the story ......... if you can't do it properly, then you're better off, not doing it at all !
  • Options
    Hmm yeah, I went and took along a group of freinds. I think there coupd have been some quick wins, set up dome stuff in the car park like hook a charlton duck, take a pen against nick pope or someone from the trust, there were some nice ideas but just needed more really. I remember the onea at sparrows lane in the 80's loads to celebrity or vets matches games, players wandering around. Do it at sparrows
  • Options

Hmm yeah, I went and took along a group of freinds. I think there coupd have been some quick wins, set up dome stuff in the car park like hook a charlton duck, take a pen against nick pope or someone from the trust, there were some nice ideas but just needed more really. I remember the onea at sparrows lane in the 80's loads to celebrity or vets matches games, players wandering around. Do it at sparrows

That's basically what last year's was like. This year did feel like, as has been said elsewhere, it was organised by someone that doesn't have children. My ten year old was bored from the minute we got there until when we left. It didn't help that we asked the 'security' guard when we arrived where the Q&A was and he sent us to the North Stand, and by the time we made our way back to the 'well hidden' room Richard Murray and Katrien and virtually finished. For the second session it was so hot in there I had to take my son out for some fresh air and the 'door man' said that due to the queue if we left we couldn't come back in.

We went to the North Stand for a drink and I ordered a pint of shandy (I was driving) the girl managed to confuse water for lemonade so I drank two mouthfuls and we left. £6.65 for a J2o!

I will probably go back next year if my son is remotely interested, but if it isn't better that today I'll not bother going again.

After the administrative mix ups, I don't think the Q&A with Richard Murray can be used to satisfy the promise the club made last season to address fans. When we arrived, five minutes before it finished there were about fifty people in there.
  • Options

PL54 said:

How many there then?

Over 1,000 they reckon.
    Would have been 4 more had we been allowed in !

Just to quantify a bit as i understand its open season to slag me off here and elsewhere apparently for some reason.

I've no comment, issue, criticism or praise for anything going on in the lounges as we were refused entry. My issue is a personal one based on how my wife and one of my four year olds was spoke to / dealt with by someone who works for the club when refusing us entry.

That's my issue, no one else's, and i'll take it up with the right people. If anyone gets some satisfaction from nose being put out of joint , well then that's up to them. But coming away from a 'fun for all the family' day with you and your missus upset, and one of your kids crying his eyes out wasn't what we was hoping from our first ever family visit to the Valley.

TBH ( NOT the one looking pissed off) this post is not good news.

Although I am not a close friend of AFKA's , I have known him for many years and if he is upset & dissatisfied with today's event, then something must seriously be wrong - he is NOT one to complain without good reason. As to it being "open season " to slag him off, I can only hope that the guilty parties have a stern word with themselves. I'm sure you know who you are.

As someone who decided to give it a miss both last year and today, a couple of things come to my mind .... For those who attended last season's event and who went again today, what was the main difference(s) ? Were there more activities for the kiddies last time? Was the signage, interaction with staff better last time ?

On neither occasion was the FF involved in the organisation or volunteering of said event. Just wanted to state this, as possibly some input direct from the fanbase might have been helpful to the new "regime". And, should there have been insufficient numbers of staff available to ease proceedings this afternoon, I'm sure some of the "usual suspects" would have helped out. However, Idon't know whether Trust committee members were involved ..razil ?

Regarding the attitude of staff today, or at least one member encountered by Dan & his family, I sincerely hope that an apology is forthcoming from the Club , although it will sadly be too late to make up for the distress felt by the family. I am very reluctant to criticise staff at our Club as we are all aware of the pressures they have worked under in the past few seasons including the redundancy threats which, alas, haven't always been just threats and I'm certain that Dan is mindful of this too but there is no excuse for rudeness or an unhelpful attitude.

I shall be raising a personal incidence of just this at the next FF mtg on 4th September which I believe I mentioned on here at the end of last season, regarding an away ticket purchase after the midweek loss to Barnsley. And I have also been asked to raise a question regarding home tickets for groups( scouts, cubs etc) by someone who was treated very unfairly and discourteously last season when trying to purchase tickets as she has done every season for the past 3 years. If there is one thing I expect from the Club I support, it is courtesy from staff at the first ( and subsequent) point of contact. If this is lacking, then why should we expect "customers" to return ?

From those who have been fortunate to see the "new, improved Valley" , it would appear that the old girl has a new lease of life which will be admired by fans, both old and new. We now need to ensure that those valuable supporters who pay their hard earned cash to watch our team are treated courteously at every stage of their Valley experience and hence, will want to revisit. Of course, staff in general should not be tarred with the same brush but as customers, we have the right to air our concerns and to expect someone to listen and respond if/when someone gets it wrong....

As Aretha sang, R-E-S-P-E-C-T is all we ask.
    Thank you very much this would be much appreciated I like everyone on this site love this club (nearly as much as the wife) lol and win lose or draw (or fun day) want to enjoy spending time at the Valley I also realise the club may be short on staff and cannot begin to imagine how the people who have been made redundant feel but as you say there is no need for rudeness or people being unhelpful
  • Options
    The Supporters Trust wasn't asked to be involved. We would have been happy to but, because of the short notice I think we would have struggled to make much difference. I think, however, we might have suggested that the club make announcements or put up notices about the timetable of events. I'm sure we were promised a training session and, because I was waiting for that, I missed the RM/KM Q&A.
    We did manage to get to the Bob and Jacko Q&A which was informative and entertaining. There should be a report of it on the CASTrust website very soon.
  • Options
    Pico said:

The Supporters Trust wasn't asked to be involved. We would have been happy to but, because of the short notice I think we would have struggled to make much difference. I think, however, we might have suggested that the club make announcements or put up notices about the timetable of events. I'm sure we were promised a training session and, because I was waiting for that, I missed the RM/KM Q&A.
    We did manage to get to the Bob and Jacko Q&A which was informative and entertaining. There should be a report of it on the CASTrust website very soon.

Thanks for clarifying, Pico.

I fully endorse your suggestions re signage etc. Surprised BDL wasn't asked to be a part of the event.

I also thought a training session was promised on the OS.

Looking forward to the Q & A write up.

• Options
    Seriously? Emailing the club to complain at how poor a free event was? How pathetic. Yes some people travelled to get there but would you rather the club did nothing at all and had no communication with the fans?

Absolutely pathetic
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good grief; at least there are no problems in the world that make this sort of banal thread pale into insignificance! Imagine if this event was not a 'freebie'!?!?!?
  • Options

Pico said:

I fully endorse your suggestions re signage etc. Surprised BDL wasn't asked to be a part of the event.

I believe BDL was flying back today from holiday.........
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Pico said:

Ah, thanks, T.C.E

• Options
    You wasn't the one that shelled out money in the club shop plus season tickets plus getting there and then basically treated like shit as were a few other people that have commented on this thread my son part of the future of this club was left unhappy I tried to see if I could cheer him up by taking him to the Colchester game his answer was er no thanks as it is the poor kid gets shit from kids at school coz he supports charlton and not a big premier league team I said to him this morning you don't get a fun day at the big clubs all they are interested in is your money his reply after the fun day was I wish we hadn't gone and if watching charltons going to be that rubbish and the people are going to be so horrible I don't want my season ticket anymore now that what a free cock up has done
  • Options
    It's the same screw stewards who bully week in week out, their time will come
  • Options
    dancafc said:

You wasn't the one that shelled out money in the club shop plus season tickets plus getting there and then basically treated like shit as were a few other people that have commented on this thread my son part of the future of this club was left unhappy I tried to see if I could cheer him up by taking him to the Colchester game his answer was er no thanks as it is the poor kid gets shit from kids at school coz he supports charlton and not a big premier league team I said to him this morning you don't get a fun day at the big clubs all they are interested in is your money his reply after the fun day was I wish we hadn't gone and if watching charltons going to be that rubbish and the people are going to be so horrible I don't want my season ticket anymore now that what a free cock up has done

Think that answers bazjonster & 000_Jaaaaay_000 cries of "pathetic" , dan !

• Options

Ah, thanks, T.C.E

who or what is BDL, please.