Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Fun Day - Sunday 3rd August

Comments

• Options

Seriously? Emailing the club to complain at how poor a free event was? How pathetic. Yes some people travelled to get there but would you rather the club did nothing at all and had no communication with the fans?

Absolutely pathetic

But that is a false premise.

The options aren't a free event of poor quality with rude staff or no event at all.

If I go into a shop and get poor or rude service can I then not complain because it was "free"?

The options were a really good event or a less good event.

I didn't go but some people felt it was poorly organised, other enjoyed meeting the players and seeing the ground so those who went can say which it was as some already have.

However, some fans, including kids, faced rudeness from staff which is unacceptable regardless if is was free or paid for IMO.

The test of any organisation (or person) is not whether they make mistakes because they all do. The test is how they react when they realise a mistake has happened.

Over to the Club now

• Options

I believe BDL was flying back today from holiday.........

Ah, thanks, T.C.E

who or what is BDL, please.

Belgian dickless leader??
  • Options
    That's who it was aimed at im sure people just think people come on here to have a pop at the club if I was a kid I would turn my back on us after today coz the thing that got me to love charlton was the family club my 1st game was kid for a quid
  • Options
    My 7 year old cousin loved it and came back with a huge smile on his face. We didn't get there til 3 which may have helped as we missed a lot of the confusion by the sounds of things.
  • Options

Ah, thanks, T.C.E

Badly Damaged Legacy (after today's events). ;o)
  • Options

Seriously? Emailing the club to complain at how poor a free event was? How pathetic. Yes some people travelled to get there but would you rather the club did nothing at all and had no communication with the fans?

Absolutely pathetic

There goes someone who obviously hasn't read any of the thread before posting... I hope?

PL54 said:

How many there then?

Over 1,000 they reckon.
    Would have been 4 more had we been allowed in !

Just to quantify a bit as i understand its open season to slag me off here and elsewhere apparently for some reason.

I've no comment, issue, criticism or praise for anything going on in the lounges as we were refused entry. My issue is a personal one based on how my wife and one of my four year olds was spoke to / dealt with by someone who works for the club when refusing us entry.

That's my issue, no one else's, and i'll take it up with the right people. If anyone gets some satisfaction from nose being put out of joint , well then that's up to them. But coming away from a 'fun for all the family' day with you and your missus upset, and one of your kids crying his eyes out wasn't what we was hoping from our first ever family visit to the Valley.

I don't see it as open season to criticise you, I enjoy reading your posts generally - much more than can be said for many others. All I've seen is one muppet having a dig, and that's before you'd actually hinted at what had occurred.

Pretty disgusted to hear how your family was treated, and (even without going in to full details), I'm sure I'm not the only on here who hopes you get some form of apology and the club deals with this sincerely and strongly.

It's the same screw stewards who bully week in week out, their time will come

Most likely the same ones who go missing at the slightest sign of them actually being needed.
  • Options

• Options
    Big Dave Lockwood.
  • Options

Ah, thanks, T.C.E

BDL is Big Dave Lockwood the PA announcer.

His Charlton Life user name is BDL.
  • Options
    The same coward mugs week in week out need to be ironed out and removed from the club, bottlers and mugs Been shown for what they are before and will be again, the last time people had to take into account that they bought kids with them, the next time they want to prey the kids are there again

He knows who and what he is and his muggy pals

Shit house kid bullying mugs how they are still involved in cafc astounds me

It isn't the first time it's been said it won't be the last,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    unfortunately this is spot on even the menus were printed wrong and had taken away,free or not it was pretty poor on a plus side the 2 stewards on the main gate was polite and helpful and the players manager etc was fantastic on arrival in the car park signing autographs and stopping for pictures that was the highlights for me
  • Options
    I was there.
    I am really disappointed that anybody was refused entry, or that staff were rude, however stressed or in the dark those staff might have been.
    If there was confusion, (and it was all a bit haphazard) and that had an impact then I am afraid the problem rests with the club despite it being free.
    It is all a great pity as I believe the afternoon was mooted with the best of intentions, but fell down a bit on the organization. Perhaps 'open day' would have been a better title than 'family fun day.
    For my part, unencumbered by any children, I more or less ambled about, and it was quite nice, I got to the end of the first Q&A, and stayed for the whole Q&A with Bob Peeters and Jacko, even asking a question...(wehey and all that).
    The Valley pitch looks to be in very good condition, and generally the stadium looked pretty nice, and there is no way you would describe Bob Peeters as dour.
  • Options
    Were the stewards the usual hospitality stewards or stadium stewards
  • Options
    Free or not if a day designed to improve public relations does not then it is a failure from both a business and dissatisfied "customer" viewpoint.

I wasn't there just making an observation of principle.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

The same coward mugs week in week out need to be ironed out and removed from the club, bottlers and mugs Been shown for what they are before and will be again, the last time people had to take into account that they bought kids with them, the next time they want to prey the kids are there again

Can anyone convert this into English for me so I can understand it?
  • Options
    Bully screw mugs will get theirs soon
  • Options

Who????? Explain?????
  • Options
    It is a confusing read
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

He is saying that he believes that there is an element amongst the stewards that will single out soft targets like families for rude, unpleasant treatment yet disappear as if by magic should there be any real trouble.
    Thanks mate. Appreciate that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

NLA is dissatisfied with certain stewards, who despite previously been made aware of their inability to deal with situations involving grown men somehow always seem to push their weight about with youngsters, who are not in a position to argue their case.

I believe he's had enough of it.

NLA can argue his case.

Normally very successfully :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I remember when we played Leeds at home a couple of seasons back, When Obika came off the bench and scored the winner!

I saw a few of the security team that stand in the South Stand laughing and joking outside the chippy in Floyd road about how many leeds fans they had ejected. There was another team we played at home last season I can't remember who it was now but they scored and one of there fans jumped over the gate at the front of the south and then jumped back in the stand. The security lot went in 5 handed to take him out and then frog march him out the ground. For what?

Or the time against brighton when another member of the security team walked over to the east stand A block and told a Charlton fan to keep his eyes on the game and not the away fans. Maybe they were worried he might have taken on 3000 Brighton Fans.

I could continue but won't. Even the J block are scared to sing the referees and wanker for fear of being ejected.

That lot need to live in the real world. Didn't see them ejecting palace fans when they went mental with the smoke grenade's

Rant over sorry CL. I apologise
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    enjoyed the whole thing----------------herd Big Bob, spoke very well.We are beating smallwall twice this year after i asked Jacko if we would---yes the top boy was me-----you limp wristed Gaurdianistas-----went to Cross Bars and had our pics taken with our Chairwoman who was getting bored by some knob untill we turned up-----she even said sorry she was taller than some of ours cos she had her tall heels on ----bless and she was a laugh.

good beer in the lib after ------- bring it all on.
  • Options

D bang on mate some people dont realise the way these people react to certain situations , they are bullies mate.
    Took the family today yes it was free doesnt matter the club should show some class and it was lacking ,bad organisation , told by people higher up at the club they felt it could have been handled better , in a nutshell pile of shite , for the amount of people that turned up u had 2 bar staff madness.

Little bit more planning needed in future.

• Options

It's entirely irrelevant that it was free.

On a glorious Summer's day, with the stadium sparkling, most of the players present and in good fettle, and some promising activities laid on, the fact that a not-insignificant number of fans felt they had been seriously let down means only one thing - this was a wasted opportunity. On or off the pitch, when you get your chances you have to take them, because they are precious and pretty scarce.

Under the new regime so many excellent things have happened in a very short time. However, when there has been the occasional failure it has often been very distressing, especially because from the fans' point of view the disasters could mostly have been avoided. Whether it is the many or the few who are directly affected is immaterial - we all share the pain because it is indivisible and I'll say it again: we are MANY, we are ONE.

It has been said that The Big Man is not a football man, and that his entourage are not conversant with the English game nor with the daunting challenges presented by The Championship. All I can say in response is that for novices and strangers they ain't 'arf done well, and in only six months or so they've clearly learned a lot (albeit some of it the hard way). They've decided that CAFC is well worthy of serious attention and investment, and they've come through in fine style.

So, they need to have a very focused and urgent inquest into today's performance (of course not forgetting the good things as well); deal fairly but sternly with the individuals who for whatever reason came up well short of what was expected of them on the day; make individual amends with those like AFKA and his family by inviting them to a special, exclusive party for them alone (stadium tour, meet-and-greet, etc - won't cost the club hardly a cent apart from a bit of time, but it might just mean the whole world to the young 'uns involved); and finally somehow or other repeat today's exercise for the general fan-base, allowing for the difficulty of doing this during the season, but at least to make some kind of effort and on a much better footing than this afternoon's patchy affair.

This club has turned the tide. We can look round our dear old stadium now with a fair degree of pride (it's never been really bad, but certainly got a bit shabby and weather-beaten, and as for the pitch - just fantastic, and how do they get that special pattern, a sort of turf-tartan ?) and now it needs to make timely progress re-building its fan-base before WHU get on the march, developing the elusive magic formula for that ol' match-day experience, finding new friends and welcoming back old ones. And - you know, I think we just might be in for a good season. COYA !!

Well said.

• Options
    Oakster said:

Talking of stewards, we were in Portland (the Oregon one not Dorset) on Saturday night - we popped up to the stadium to see if the Timber's club shop was open, it wasn't as it was around 8pm.

As we wandered the perimeter of the stadium we passed a steward who was patrolling the main gate. He called us over, "do you guys want to take a look inside?". He opened the gates & took us inside the stadium - where we had a good look around & took loads of pictures. My kids were thrilled.

Now Portland Timbers are not small fry, this is a club with close to a quarter of a million followers on Facebook & a lovely, old school stadium steeped in history. It was a really nice gesture from a guy obviously proud & passionate about his club.....

I went into the Costa Rica national stadium in similar circumstances a few years back. Even walked around the pitch, unaccompanied by any steward or security guard.

As for yesterday's event, sounds fortunate that I am back in Thailand because I would have taken the missus and daughter had I still been in London.

These things take a lot more time and effort to properly organise than people often realise and it sounds that yesterday's fun day was a good example of how not to do it. New owners, less staff, they haven't done anything like this before at Charlton so hopefully they have learned from it.
  • Options

Absolutely pathetic

Maybe if it was your family that was spoken to and dealt with in the same way you'd get it! Why don't you pipe down unless you know the facts.