Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Devastating news about Our Duke. RIP you absolute warrior.

• Options
    Such a shame
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Newmarket:

1.50 Aurum
    4.45 Kew Gardens
    I backed these at the races and from memory they both won Thanks

• Options
    Not sure how anyone could spend money on a 19 horse maiden but fair play.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    PaddyP17 said:

Devastating news about Our Duke. RIP you absolute warrior.

That is so sad. Already a star and such a promising future ahead.
  • Options
    Yep, ignore me on the flat...
  • Options
    the last 2 results at newmarket are the reason ill never be a flat fanatic, i feel you get no value for your money if a horse misses a break you know you have lost with the race to go.
  • Options

the last 2 results at newmarket are the reason ill never be a flat fanatic, i feel you get no value for your money if a horse misses a break you know you have lost with the race to go.

Part of a flat race horse is it’s ability to get a clean break from the stalls, no less than a jump horses ability to get over a hurdle. If it falls at the first your money’s already done.
  • Options

Part of a flat race horse is it’s ability to get a clean break from the stalls, no less than a jump horses ability to get over a hurdle. If it falls at the first your money’s already done.
    In a sprint certainly - but with 7f plus there is usually time to correct a poor start if the horse is good enough.
  • Options
    Common sense prevails at Cheltenham. 3m 2f is cancelled due to the heat. Not sure if the rest of the card will carry on, as the heat should subside and the races are shorter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

true, i think i just find jumps more entertaining, although i do always like to watch the big flat races.
  • Options
    they've stopped racing at cheltenham because of the heat.
  • Options

they've stopped racing at cheltenham because of the heat.

Rest of the card going ahead, just not the fourth race
  • Options
    I much, much prefer the flats.
  • Options

Give me Royal Ascot over Cheltenham any day of the week.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Not for me - Cheltenham stands alone (and I much prefer flat to jumps)

Royal Ascot for the racing is wonderful - as an experience it has been ruined. I'll take Glorious Goodwood every time.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Royal Ascot for the racing is wonderful - as an experience it has been ruined. I'll take Glorious Goodwood every time.
    Bob, in your esteemed opinion (and indeed others'), if I were to go to a race outing with a few mates, where are we most likely to find (and then likely strike out on) the good looking women?
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

bobmunro said:

Bob, in your esteemed opinion (and indeed others'), if I were to go to a race outing with a few mates, where are we most likely to find (and then likely strike out on) the good looking women?
    Chantilly. For somewhere easier to get to, try any course offering music after racing.
  • Options
    I’m a keen racking fan. (Preference for jumps but enjoy it all) I’m looking at doing a big flag meet this summer for a friends birthday and was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion. Guineas 2000 & 1, oaks/derby or Royal ascot.
    Guineas could clash with a potential big game for us, so have more or less ruled that out. What would people’s advice be from any experiences?
  • Options

I’m a keen racking fan. (Preference for jumps but enjoy it all) I’m looking at doing a big flag meet this summer for a friends birthday and was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion. Guineas 2000 & 1, oaks/derby or Royal ascot.
    Guineas could clash with a potential big game for us, so have more or less ruled that out. What would people’s advice be from any experiences?

York - Ebor meeting would be a good choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

bobmunro said:

Chester is pretty good for that! Great atmosphere, not too crowded, and everyone has a party afterwards in the city.
  • Options

I'd avoid Royal Ascot like the plague. I used to attend on the Tuesday and Thursday every year up to the early 90s, but even then it was becoming seriously over-crowded and overpriced.
    Of the Derby or Oaks I'd pick the Oaks, just because it's an easier day to attend.
    For Ascot I'd choose King George VI day at the end of July.
    As Bob Munro has said Glorious Goodwood is great. Have attended Sussex Stakes day several times and never been disappointed. It is far lower key day out than the other "festivals" and just so much more enjoyable, in a great setting.
  • Options

avoid royal ascot after attending last year said wouldn't go back on a Saturday, equally the weekdays are just as bad. they do have a summer meeting (king george) that is a bit less informal and a lot easier to have a drink and a good time.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

bobmunro said:

galway if you cant pull there then there is no hope, was at the gn last weekend and i was quite happy i took my shades.
  • Options
    Avoid Royal Ascot and Glorious Goodwood too many idiots.Guineas meeting at Newmarket is good but racecourse is the pits.Out of all the big flat meetings I’d say attend in no order are Epsom Derby,Chester and Ebor at York.
    But by far the best are Cheltenham Festival infact any meeting at Cheltenham and any meeting at Fontwell lovely little track plus Brighton is an experience especially there three day festival in August
    Got to mention the three day festival at Yarmouth in September too (Alan Dugdale will recommend that)
    Cartmel lovely area and experience but racecourse is nearly as bad as Newmarket!
  • Options

Avoid Royal Ascot and Glorious Goodwood too many idiots.Guineas meeting at Newmarket is good but racecourse is the pits.Out of all the big flat meetings I’d say attend in no order are Epsom Derby,Chester and Ebor at York.
    But by far the best are Cheltenham Festival infact any meeting at Cheltenham and any meeting at Fontwell lovely little track plus Brighton is an experience especially there three day festival in August
    Got to mention the three day festival at Yarmouth in September too (Alan Dugdale will recommend that)
    Cartmel lovely area and experience but racecourse is nearly as bad as Newmarket!

Totally agree about the Rowley Mile course at Newmarket, although I've had some great days there. The July Course is much more atmospheric but even then that wouldn't be my first choice!

York is wonderful - everything about the place is spot on and then the city afterwards is buzzing. Chester isn't the best for racing as the track is a joke, although I love the history of the place - but overall a great day and night out. I'm lucky as it's only 30 minutes door to door for me.

• Options
    Just for paddy and the fillies watching any Chester meeting,ladies day at Aintree and even though can be a nightmare night any music night at Lingfield............
  • Options

I'd suggest Sandown Park, perhaps for the Eclipse day on Saturday 7th July.

It's just such a great track - excellent viewing, easy to get around, easy to get to from town with the train station next door, etc.

I'd avoid the big festivals too - mostly it's more hassle than it's worth.
  • Options

I'd suggest Sandown Park, perhaps for the Eclipse day on Saturday 7th July.

It's just such a great track - excellent viewing, easy to get around, easy to get to from town with the train station next door, etc.

I'd avoid the big festivals too - mostly it's more hassle than it's worth.
    If you're going to Sandown, pop into Marney's Village Inn, it's about 10 min walk just out the way of the crowds.