Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peterborough United Away - Updates

Comments

• From OS report, seems Alnwick had another impressive performance. He's better than a Championship player IMO.
  • WSS said:

Are you saying they don't want to score because they're concentrating on getting fit?

No, I'm saying that they're not putting in there all cause there is no need. Any sensible manager would be completely against their players draining themselves if it isn't necessary. At least that's what I'm hoping anyway.
    Bleedin' ell is like listening to the mormans. Is there anything that happened that you wouldn't try and put a spin on to make it sound as though everything is just peachy ?
  • Love the it's all about getting fit line.
    Who is going to start up front against Brentford? All our strikers should be trying to score goals in order to get into the side.
    Bob's got a real challenge in deciding this.
    And it's probably worth remembering that we only managed 41 goals all of last season.
  • vffvff
    edited July 2014

Love the it's all about getting fit line.
    Who is going to start up front against Brentford? All our strikers should be trying to score goals in order to get into the side.
    Bob's got a real challenge in deciding this.
    And it's probably worth remembering that we only managed 41 goals all of last season.

There is a weakness up front that has not yet been addressed.

Are the alleged new signings going to address it ?
  • Also, he doesn't seem keen on playing Vetokele and Tucudean as a partnership for some reason. They are the only hope. Most fans would agree that Church and Pigott aren't good enough.

Still need a proven goalscorer. He will be more expensive but it could be the difference between which league you end up playing in.
  • Kap10 said:

Lack of goals is a real worry.

Have not been worried up until now, be we should be hitting the back of the net, albeit these are only friendlies.
    Welling no goals, St trudin no goals and tonight no goals. Surely it's going to be harder to score once the season starts.
    I was probably getting over confident given our summer signings but it isn't looking good.
    S I M O N

C H U R C H

Nuff said. Sit back and relax, he'll do 20 on his own......
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd be massively more concerned if we hadn't made any chances but seems like we made a few, especially first half.
  • Emotions running a bit rampant on here. Ok, we didn't win but I think some of the wrist slitting is a bit over the top. Think positive, not negative. A good life lesson.
  • @fmaddick‌ how did buyens play in the middle?
  • Cheers fmaddick, good to hear from someone at the game, sounds like you watched the same game our commentators watched too, maybe we can take them seriously. ;-)
  • Buyens was fairly anonymous, he didn't really do too much of note. Jacko was getting around a bit but does seem to have lost that yard or two of pace.
  • I agree TBH was our best player. Harriott was lively first half, Fox looked solid. I thought Cousins looked a better option than Buyens when he came on, although Buyens didn't do anything wrong. Gudmundsson showed a good range of passing and Vetokele some classy touches. I think it was a decent workout, I hope we do sign a striker that Vetokele can play off but that player could possibly be George. I guess he was injured tonight. Vetokele seemed to be struggling with an injury towards the end of the game.
  • We have not played our likely starting lineup yet. Quite a bit of tinkering going on. Maybe BP should have played them together by now which is a fair criticism but I would like to see the tucudean/vetokele partnership and see solly start with Wilson as RM and Gundmunson on the left before judgment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Im guessing Solly, Tucudean & Cousins will all start on Saturday, maybe one or two others who were on the bench tonight, considering it is only a two day gap between games.
  • As my username suggests it was a home game for me. Impressed that we passed the ball on the floor and this will develop further with games. we created plenty of chances tonight and hopefully when the real games come we will be ready. Presumably still the option of some decent loan players to come.
    Peterborough have had some decent friendly results, beat Brighhton 2-1 and a draw 2-2 v Wolves. So, I think take some encouragement from outplaying them tonight. I also thought TBH had a good match and looked very comfortable.
  • I think a lot of these games have also been to blood youngsters into the first team, hence why the likes of Fox was starting today. At least if and when players like Wiggins gets injured, Fox/Gomez/Pigott etc will be able to step up to the plate and feel a little more comfortable than say if they were just called upon suddenly. Plus it's the cheaper option.

I know it's not ideal that we are not scoring but again, there's a difference between playing Lower league opposition in a pre season friendly and making your debut in the first game of the season. Our aim is to get fit and ready whilst the lower leagued opposition would rather try and get a result against better opposition.
  • edited July 2014
    seth plum said:

Braziliance I certainly think the true assessment will start from the Brentford game, but it would be nice to be a little more convinced, if only to get bums on seats. We have scored once in four pre-season games played in this country, yeah I know it's meaningless and all that, but I bet Bob and the players whish it had been better, let alone us the fans.

We have scored once in four pre-season games played in this country - an important observation, Seth. It's curious, because our failure to score throughout last season was primarily caused by the vacuity of our midfield - their inability to supply the strikers - yet by all accounts we had plenty of goal-scoring chances tonight - and muffed them all.

So, is that progress, of sorts? I wasn't at tonight's game, and was away on holiday for Ebbsfleet, where apparently we fielded many from the development squad. But I was there on the terraces at Welling and was horrified by what I saw.

For our many readers and correspondents up-country and abroad, may I sketch the scene? There were 2,600 fans packed in at Welling: they won't have a bigger crowd all season. They are three divisions below us, and we fielded our strongest team.

What appalled me about that game, our 2-0 defeat, was that we made not a single winning challenge in midfield. Attacking play starts from there, seizing possession - then with forward movement and accurate passes. We failed not only ourselves, but also the Welling fans who attended in the expectation of seeing tough and exciting opposition.

Do pre-season friendlies matter? Not for anyone who thinks they serve only as an extension of the gym - as fitness trials - or for anyone who imagines that suddenly, as if by magic, in two weeks' time we will be strong, creative and incisive against a team three divisions above Welling.

Peeters is right to be worried. I have a question for any of our fans who were at Posh tonight. Presumably our midfield has actually arrived since the debacle at Park View Road. So why, even with a shed-load of chances, did we fail to score?

• Oh well, I think we can still get enough points in the next 45 matches to stay up. In Bob we trust.
  • Can say that Attacking wise we were inept against Welling but am sorry that match is ALWAYS first and foremost about fitness... Peeters himself also came out when we'd reached Spain that we'd been concentrating on our Defensive play prior to our trip so probably they didnt create much because of that reason.

We can moan about the players not scoring or giving 100% in pre-season friendlies but do any of us know what Peeters wants from these games... It could well be that he wants us to control matches and that for now he wants the goals to come but isnt worried if they dont (i.e. After ADCP he said he wasnt bothered by Pigott not scoring in that match as he wants him to save his goals for the League).

Ot course come the Brentford game he can turn to the players and say... Right you've shown me you can control games... Now go out and win them!!
  • Until we bring in another striker the team I would be playing Is.

Henderson

Wilson/Solly if fit
    Bikey
    Ben Haim
    Wiggins

Cousins
    Buyens
    Jackson

Gudmunsson
    Vetokele
    Harriott

Subs
    Pope
    Wilson/Solly
    Morrison
    Gomez
    Moussa
    Piggott
    Tucudean

I think we have good options all over the pitch apart from strikers and wingers but hopefully that's being sorted and after speaking to a couple of people I think Ben Haim is really gonna surprise a few people this season.
  • I'd take at 0-0 at Brentford if it was offered right now
  • Oh no we drew a friendly, what are we to do? panic! FFS if we score 10 goals a game in friendlys it will not mean shit by the time we kick off for real against Brentford....surely there cannot be a more moany fanbase than Charlton?