Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peterborough United Away - Updates

Comments

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Creating chances is the hardest part - if thats ok , the goals will follow.

No offence mate, but you haven't been watching Charlton for very long!!!
    No offence, but i have and we was not creating hardly any chances at all last season! At least now it sounds as if we are creating so i expect to see alot more goals this season from us.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Creating chances is the hardest part - if thats ok , the goals will follow.

No offence mate, but you haven't been watching Charlton for very long!!!
    haha point taken - but dont forget i'm a spurs fan , i know this kind of stuff...
  • Options
    This is the checklist regarding Bob, provided by Bob himself in his first interview.

Organization on and off the pitch.
    Everybody working hard and clear about what they have to do.
    'Good' players will be brought in.
    Academy prospects will get their chance.
    A passing game where chances are created.
    Knowledge of the demands of the Championship.
    Players will have strength and pace and a 'good attitude'.
    Aiming for the premier league.

The last one, 'aiming for the premier league' heavily implies we will score goals, win matches and stack up points.
  • Options
    Where are out short numbers?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nug said:

Hang on then, what's the likelihood that CAFC marketing and Peterborough's marketing dept. picked the same design shirts, shorts and hooped sock combo? Not likely meaning they were offered a full kit template to pick, in all likelehood they couldn't have said 'No we want white shorts and plain red socks with that shirt'. Don't know why but for some reason this has p'd me right off.

By the way I realise ours is red theirs is blue, but you get my drift.

I printed the picture out on my black and white printer and I'm now confused which team is which.
  • Options
    seth, words are just that. Interview cliches that you can take with a pinch of salt.

Proof will be in the results and the performances. Nothing else matters

• Options

Nug said:

Hang on then, what's the likelihood that CAFC marketing and Peterborough's marketing dept. picked the same design shirts, shorts and hooped sock combo? Not likely meaning they were offered a full kit template to pick, in all likelehood they couldn't have said 'No we want white shorts and plain red socks with that shirt'. Don't know why but for some reason this has p'd me right off.

I printed the picture out on my black and white printer and I'm now confused which team is which.

Phil
    No numbers on the shorts for CAFC Phil!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Nug said:

At least we have unique personalised catering deal.....

....errrm don't we?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

This is the checklist regarding Bob, provided by Bob himself in his first interview.

Organization on and off the pitch.
    Everybody working hard and clear about what they have to do.
    'Good' players will be brought in.
    Academy prospects will get their chance.
    A passing game where chances are created.
    Knowledge of the demands of the Championship.
    Players will have strength and pace and a 'good attitude'.
    Aiming for the premier league.

The last one, 'aiming for the premier league' heavily implies we will score goals, win matches and stack up points.

No shit Sherlock :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    byl said:

Have faith guys - the team i support in the belgian league, Lierse, had a preseason were they didn't score in 5 consecutives friendlies before the first league game, but you saw a team being moulded. Last weekend was the first league game against Oostende, a side who everyone predicted ending in the top 8. After 25 mins we were 2 nil up and won comfortably, outplaying them large parts of the game.

So not scoring in preseason friendlies means nothing.

Yeah but this is English football, its different then what you guys and the rest of the world plays............. ;-)
  • Options

May I give you example? There is nothing wrong with our defence. Under siege, Morro nods the ball out of the box, and it lands fifteen yards out, a superb clearance. But where are our midfielders to receive it? They are late, or slow - or simply absent.

We lost all those games last season and the season before - and at non-league Welling two weeks ago - because of this vacancy. There is nothing wrong with our strikers: we have five, six, and seven of them, even including Joe Pigott and exluding Reza - take your pick.

I don't mind. When we played Barnsley at the end of last season, did you think their players were individually more skilful than ours? Or more naturally talented, perhaps? We lost at The Valley to Barnsley because they were a better team, better coached, better drilled - and still they went down.

Jordan Cousins didn't save us - and neither did Diego Poyet. We lost. Every single club in the Championship has as an academy bubbling and fizzing with superb young players. We lost those games because of our vapid midfield and weak coaching.

Duchatelet has imposed a rookie manager because he's cheap, can be pushed around, and sacked when it all goes tits-up in November. I wonder how this is going to work for us, the fans. Bob Peeters wears a baseball cap, can't believe his luck, and is already failing in the pre-season friendlies. Our captain, Johnnie Jackson, is seven years younger - yet he has more knowledge, intelligence and experience and in his little fingernail.

i quite like like some of your summarized points viewfinder, but though still having some reservations/questions particularly in the midfield where we routinely get outfought it seems, i remain optimistic, because what's the good alternative? new season, new mix of players, new coaching, new regime, new pitch, new paint, all round fresh 'n new, and yes, a less than stellar pre-season, but wait and see for a few matches....that's my feeling. roll on brentford....
  • Options
    Are you for real Viewfinder?
  • Options

May I give you an example? There is nothing wrong with our defence. Under siege, Morro nods the ball out of the box, and it lands fifteen yards out, a superb clearance. But where are our midfielders to receive it? They are late, or slow - or simply absent.

We lost all those games last season and the season before - and at non-league Welling two weeks ago - because of this vacancy. There is nothing wrong with our strikers: we have five, six, and seven of them, even including Joe Pigott and exluding Reza - take your pick.

I don't mind. When we played Barnsley at the end of last season, did you think their players were individually more skilful than ours? Or more naturally talented, perhaps? We lost at The Valley to Barnsley because they were a better team, better coached, better drilled - and still they went down.

Jordan Cousins didn't save us - and neither did Diego Poyet. We lost. Every single club in the Championship has as an academy bubbling and fizzing with superb young players. We lost those games because of our vapid midfield and weak coaching.

Duchatelet has imposed a rookie manager because he's cheap, can be pushed around, and sacked when it all goes tits-up in November. I wonder how this is going to work for us, the fans. Bob Peeters wears a baseball cap, can't believe his luck, and is already failing in the pre-season friendlies. Our captain, Johnnie Jackson, is seven years younger - yet he has more knowledge, intelligence and experience in his little fingernail.

Were you at the Welling game? Accepted we were poor in the first half, maybe part of an earlier post I wrote will give some ideas as to why. However in the second half we absolutely dominated midfield. Jackson and Buyens in the centre of midfield had plenty of possession. No, they did not thread it through to Ventokele and Ansah as Welling defended their eighteen yard line.

Instead they played it wide to one of Solly, Nego, Fox or Harriott. We crossed th ball umpteen times In that game but did not score. Both strikers and Harriott missed decent chances. So, I would argue that the issue is with the forwards, because as with last night's game the report shows plenty of chances for our frontmen which were not converted.

You are in danger of rehashing the same points as you made last season. Yes, we lost to a team who got relegated. We also beat the champions and the team who won the play offs. I don't get the point you're making unless you think that the team who has the 'better' players on paper automatically wins the game on the pitch.

Agree with you about Jackson though.
  • Options
    Thought I'd read through the Brighton forums Peterborough thread and it seems pretty identical tbh. Except they seem happy with their strikers and very concerned about their defense instead. The odd people saying what I and some others have said about not being concerned etc and then others saying that they have no chance of getting promoted etc and moaning about the lack of signings.

They all seem to be praising O'Grady too. Shame that is.
  • Options
    Infact reading through more they seem even more worried than we do. I actually thought we would have been the worst club fans by miles for overreacting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

May I give you an example? There is nothing wrong with our defence. Under siege, Morro nods the ball out of the box, and it lands fifteen yards out, a superb clearance. But where are our midfielders to receive it? They are late, or slow - or simply absent.

I don't mind. When we played Barnsley at the end of last season, did you think their players were individually more skilful than ours? Or more naturally talented, perhaps? We lost at The Valley to Barnsley because they were a better team: better coached, better drilled - and still they went down.

Duchatelet has imposed a rookie manager because he's cheap, can be pushed around, and sacked when it all goes tits-up in November. I wonder how this is going to work for us, the fans. Bob Peeters wears a baseball cap, can't believe his luck, and is already failing in the pre-season friendlies. Our captain, Johnnie Jackson, is seven years younger - yet he has more knowledge, intelligence and experience in his little fingernail.

Yeah the famous Rotherham academy won't stop spitting out worldies

• Options

May I give you example? There is nothing wrong with our defence. Under siege, Morro nods the ball out of the box, and it lands fifteen yards out, a superb clearance. But where are our midfielders to receive it? They are late, or slow - or simply absent.

Duchatelet has imposed a rookie manager because he's cheap, can be pushed around, and sacked when it all goes tits-up in November. I wonder how this is going to work for us, the fans. Bob Peeters wears a baseball cap, can't believe his luck, and is already failing in the pre-season friendlies. Our captain, Johnnie Jackson, is seven years younger - yet he has more knowledge, intelligence and experience and in his little fingernail.

i quite like like some of your summarized points viewfinder, but though still having some reservations/questions particularly in the midfield where we routinely get outfought it seems, i remain optimistic, because what's the good alternative? new season, new mix of players, new coaching, new regime, new pitch, new paint, all round fresh 'n new, and yes, a less than stellar pre-season, but wait and see for a few matches....that's my feeling. roll on brentford....
    The alternative is good coaching, SH2T. Have a look at any one of our strikers when he receives the ball on the edge of the box with his back to goal. He has a defender marking him tight, and no-one else near. Our man passes it back to the man who gave him the advantage in the first place - and he skies it in to Row Z.

Paul Walsh didn't have that problem. He received the ball with his back to goal on the edge of the box with a defender up his backside - and swivelled, and shot on target. Paul Walsh was doing that when he was aged 17. Decades later, with all our coaching expertise and experience, our strikers are like Edwardian wardrobes in transit to the removal van.
  • Options
    you are right about simple, basic technique which seems to be absent in so many modern games. purrrrrrr...paul walsh, i'm dreamn' on tho.....

• Options
    In some games last year we were absolutely dominated, and one way or another opponents were going to force a win, Burnley is one good example, Derby another. We got wins and points ourselves, but more often by the skin of our teeth (QPR, Leeds away are two examples) than by dominating and being forceful.
    I would like to think that somewhere in our locker we have the ability to wrest points from some games whatever the opposition try to do. Right now I am unconvinced that we can be any kind of irresistible force in any game next season, I hope to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    Lol i that knee jerking was a spurs thing but you guys are good at it too
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Decades later, with all our coaching expertise and experience, our strikers are like Edwardian wardrobes in transit to the removal van.

Viewfinder, the above quote are taken from your two most recent posts. In one you say 'there is nothing wrong with our strikers, ' and in the other 'our strikers are like Edwardian wardrobes in transit...'

As eloquently as you write your posts I must admit to finding them, well, rather confusing. You contradict yourself and then compare the likes of Church, Sordell, Pigott etc to Paul Walsh. Regardless of the quality of coaching there is something called quality. Certain attributes you cannot coach. Paul Walsh had ability in abundance, hence he played in the top league for many seasons. I'm not sure he is a worthy comparison.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    seth plum said:

In some games last year we were absolutely dominated, and one way or another opponents were going to force a win, Burnley is one good example, Derby another. We got wins and points ourselves, but more often by the skin of our teeth (QPR, Leeds away are two examples) than by dominating and being forceful.
    I would like to think that somewhere in our locker we have the ability to wrest points from some games whatever the opposition try to do. Right now I am unconvinced that we can be any kind of irresistible force in any game next season, I hope to be proved wrong.

Another example, Seth, of our weak coaching is with Bradley Wright-Phillips. I can see him now: He was on the edge of the box with easy options, yet he swivelled and hammered low and hard through three defenders' legs and the keeper fumbled it round the post. None of our players expected this, nor yet the opponents; the keeper got up off his knees with a look at the world: Don't ever do that to me again.

The surprise - the shock. A man with Bradley Wright-Phillips' rare talent, who scored regularly for us in one division, doesn't suddenly lose all his marvellous skills because we are promoted. When he began missing the one-on-ones with the keeper, it was the responsibility of our coaching staff to bring him through it. BWP didn't fail us - Powell and Dyer failed him.

Pre-season friendly, away at Edgware Town, 1993. Lennie Lawrence was hunkered down in the dug-out. Colin Clarke was walking along the touchline saying to Scotty Minto, a winger, aged 17: "Stay wide. Don't go in. Here." The ball was thirty yards away. Clarke was tracking Minto up and down, from the halfway line to the corner-flag. "Here, here - along the line." Scotty received the ball, knocked it in to the box and wanted to chase after it. "Stay wide. Don't go in. Here." Clarke was teaching Scotty about position and space, all through the game.

We won, 3-1.

• Options
    In the final 16 games we secured 1.5 points per game and we won seven(?) so we were fully capable of winning. At the end Sordell and Harriott were scoring for fun but to cite that as conclusive would be the same as recalling the nightmare aka barnsley at home.
    I watched a lot of Championship football on sky and the top clubs (who beat us 3-0 in the run in) all have top strikers.
    Now we have just acquired three players all rated at €2m who will play in the front six along with Cousins, Harriott, Jackson or perhaps Wilson.
    Sure we need more to cover for injuries and to make game changing subs around the hour mark... But my guess is that we are mid-table in the making and will climb higher if the right additions are made and we get lucky.
    So only a couple more weeks to go and I rate our chances of being in a good place end September.
  • Options

Decades later, with all our coaching expertise and experience, our strikers are like Edwardian wardrobes in transit to the removal van.

Viewfinder, the above quote are taken from your two most recent posts. In one you say 'there is nothing wrong with our strikers, ' and in the other 'our strikers are like Edwardian wardrobes in transit...'

As eloquently as you write your posts I must admit to finding them, well, rather confusing. You contradict yourself and then compare the likes of Church, Sordell, Pigott etc to Paul Walsh. Regardless of the quality of coaching there is something called quality. Certain attributes you cannot coach. Paul Walsh had ability in abundance, hence he played in the top league for many seasons. I'm not sure he is a worthy comparison.

Of course you are right, SJH. A good coach could teach players some of Walshy's skills: Receive, swivel, attack. It needs practising again and again until it becomes instinctive. The players who beat us don't rush down the wing with a manual in their pockets: they don't need directions. They are coached, rehearsed, drilled.

The obverse is us: 0-1 down at half-time, facing the Covered End - all frantic and ragged. The kitchen sink would be lovely, if only our midfield could find it.

• Options

seth plum said:

Another example, Seth, of our weak coaching is with Bradley Wright-Phillips. I can see him now: He was on the edge of the box with easy options, yet he swivelled and hammered low and hard through three defenders' legs and the keeper fumbled it round the post. None of our players expected this, nor yet the opponents; the keeper got up off his knees with a look at the world: Don't ever do that to me again.

The surprise - the shock. A man with Bradley Wright-Phillips' rare talent, who scored regularly for us in one division, doesn't suddenly lose all his marvellous skills because we are promoted. When he began missing the one-on-ones with the keeper, it was the responsibility of our coaching staff to bring him through it. BWP didn't fail us - Powell and Dyer failed him.

Pre-season friendly, away at Edgware Town, 1993. Lennie Lawrence was hunkered down in the dug-out. Colin Clarke was walking along the touchline saying to Scotty Minto, a winger, aged 17: "Stay wide. Don't go in. Here." The ball was thirty yards away. Clarke was tracking Minto up and down, from the halfway line to the corner-flag. "Here, here - along the line." Scotty received the ball, knocked it in to the box and wanted to chase after it. "Stay wide. Don't go in. Here." Clarke was teaching Scotty about position and space, all through the game.

We won, 3-1.

The might of Edgeware town???? Imagine what a player Freddie Ljundberg would have been if wenger hadn't coached him to go inside and score all them goals. In fairness you've done you're job and I've replied to you when you're clearly on the wind up so well done sir.