Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General MYTHS that annoy you

Comments

• Options
    Urinating on Jellyfish stings
  • Options
    Great idea for a thread. Although the sun one annoys me. Clearly it's yellow. The colour of something is determined by what colour you see when you view it, not what a scientist tells you it is, based on what can never be truly proven.

Did you hear about that guy whose business was going bust? He was due to get a phone call at 4 o clock to tell him it had been saved but if no phone call came it meant the business was doomed and he had lost everything. 4 o clock came and no phone call so he went to the top of his building and jumped off. As he was passing his window, the phone was ringing.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    "Cannabis is a gateway drug".
    It goes like this:
    "Every junkie starts on cannabis, then they work their way on to harder and harder drugs so if they didn't smoke cannabis they won't have drug problems".

No. Nonononononono.

Only people who find that cannabis doesn't do it for them will work their way onto harder and harder drugs. Eventually they find one they like and stick with it, be that heroin, crack, ecstasy, bare knuckle fighting or Glenlivet.

• Options
    Or, in my case, Sainsbury's finest chocolate cake.
  • Options

March51 said:

Toast always lands buttered side down. It might be true for you and me but it's actually a 50/50 chance.

I remember seeing this proved a while back, it is to do with tables being the right height that the bread only manages half a rotation before it hits the floor, and therefore will more often falls butter side down then up. Their solution was very high tables or keeping your side butter side down on the plate. Maybe not dropping it also might help
    That's right. It seems when the BBC's QED programme de-bunked the theory they were throwing toast up in to the air. But if it just drops off a table it will land butter down 62% of the time.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Ah beaten to it.
  • Options
    The classic student spending their student loan story: Something along the lines of them deciding to spend all their money on a speedboat, and then having to make money by pretending they had found objects in food, such as pubes in tuna etc, and writing off to the companies to get compensation. Heard this story from at least 4 people that gave talks at uni/school before I went, all of whom claimed it was their mate.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The whole of the Vietnam war was played out to Jimi hendrix and Creedence Clearwater Revival records

Men never went to the moon because the flag is moving etc etc

The Nazca lines are landing strips for aliens as being intelligent enough to travel through space for hundreds of light years they will need a fecking landing strip

Jesus died for somebody's sins (but not mine).

• Options

Or, in my case, Sainsbury's finest chocolate cake.

But that'll taste so much nicer after a spliff...............
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah the usual ones; dragons, Loch Ness monster, Father Christmas, god(s) - all that shit
  • Options
    That masturbation will blind you
  • Options
    Starve a fever and feed a cold.

Don't go out with wet hair, you'll get a cold.

And the biggest of the lot: god.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    1.The Impecibally behaved, jolly, tolerant, tartan army.

2.All England football fans are thugs/hooligans etc etc.

3. You must be a far right, racist nethanderal to consider voting UKIP.

4. The reputation of Paris.

5. Ibiza/Aiya Napa etc are not safe/enjoyable for anyone other than 18-30's.

6. The atmosphere at Anfield (insert any big clubs ground tbf)

7. Newcastle fans are the best in the world.

8. The Carribean has the best beaches.

9. The good die young.

Not sure if these fall under myth category or people speaking bollocks but hey ho.
  • Options
    Big feet big.................
    Nope forget that, not a myth.
  • Options
    Elvis DID NOT die on the toilet, he had a large reading chair in an annex room in his private bathroom, he was found wearing pyjamas (blue, see, we even know the colour) and dressing gown, face down in the carpet in a crouching position as he had fallen forward from the chair whilst reading...fact.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Elvis DID NOT die on the toilet, he had a large reading chair in an annex room in his private bathroom, he was found wearing pyjamas (blue, see, we even know the colour) and dressing gown, face down in the carpet in a crouching position as he had fallen forward from the chair whilst reading...fact.

It might have been a big fart.
  • Options
    Parents telling kids that they can't swim for 1 hour after eating otherwise they'll get cramps.

Violent video games cause people to commit violent crimes. Same goes for violent films/tv shows/books etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    That mankind has to consume animals to survive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They actually play football in the MLS.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Nah. That's the myth put about by Elvis fans. He died crawling away from the crapper mid-poo, "straining at stool".
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

That masturbation will blind you

Aways wondered what Soapy Jones looks like
    @soapy_jones
  • Options
    Eating crusts will make your hair curl.

( Plenty of lads on here will no doubt debunk that one....obviously makes it fall out ! :-)
  • Options

DA9 said:

Nah. That's the myth put about by Elvis fans. He died crawling away from the crapper mid-poo, "straining at stool".
    Whatever
  • Options
    Bears can't run downhill...I saw one chase Anthony Hopkins down a hill the other week and if anything it was going even faster than on the flat. Would be more than annoyed to have that particular myth debunked in different circumstances.
  • Options

The myth that everyone who lives north of Watford has an outside toilet. I've lived up north for thirty five years and I have never used an outside toilet. Though I have pissed in a watering can in my shed once. Desperate times and all that.

Shouldn't you be down t' pit?
  • Options

The myth that everyone who lives north of Watford has an outside toilet. I've lived up north for thirty five years and I have never used an outside toilet. Though I have pissed in a watering can in my shed once. Desperate times and all that.

Were your pigeons in there at the time?