Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General MYTHS that annoy you

Comments

• Options
    Another old one is the guy who got a tomato seed stuck up his japs eye after a session potting the brown.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Stig said:

DiscoCAFC said:

99% of stuff posted on Facebook about immigrants and Muslims.

That global warming isn't happening

Why do you think global warming exist's when the science has not even been settled yet?
    You are joking, aren't you?

Climate change is one of the defining issues of our time. It is now more certain than ever, based on many lines of evidence, that humans are changing Earth’s climate”. The Royal Society, Feb 2014

"Most climate scientists agree the main cause of the current global warming trend is human expansion of the greenhouse effect”. NASA, 2014

"Scientific research shows that the climate - that is, the average temperature of the planet's surface - has risen by 0.89 °C from 1901 to 2012. Compared with climate change patterns throughout Earth's history, the rate of temperature rise since the Industrial Revolution is extremely high". The Met Office, February 2014

"It is clear from extensive scientific evidence that the dominant cause of the rapid change in climate of the past half century is human-induced increases in the amount of atmospheric greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide (CO2), chlorofluorocarbons, methane, and nitrous oxide." American Meteorological Society, 2012

"Although the earth’s climate has changed considerably in the past (and will due in the future) because of natural factors, it is very likely that most of the global temperature rise observed since the middle of the last century has been caused by increasing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere from human activities such as fossil-fuel burning'. Royal Meteorological Society, 2014

"The evidence is incontrovertible: Global warming is occurring. If no mitigating actions are taken, significant disruptions in the Earth’s physical and ecological systems, social systems, security and human health are likely to occur. We must reduce emissions of greenhouse gases beginning now." American Physical Society (2007)

Of the more than 29,000 observational data series, from 75 studies, that show significant change in many physical and biological systems, more than 89% are consistent with the direction of change expected as a response to warming” Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007

"Climate change is happening now. The U.S. and the world are warming, global sea level is rising, and some types of extreme weather events are becoming more frequent and more severe". US Global Change Research Program, May 2014

Rapid change is unfolding throughout the Arctic: A warming climate is reshaping Arctic ecosystems, causing the loss of sea ice and glaciers, thawing of permafrost, and changing snow patterns”. US National Academy of Sciences, April 2014

"By the end of this century, droughts in Europe are expected to be more frequent and intense due to climate change and increased water use". European Geosciences Union, January 2014

Unfortunately, humanity, through energy generation, changing land use and other processes, has produced a substantial increase in the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, enhancing the natural greenhouse effect, and it is feared that this continuing change will lead to a major shift in global climate”. University of East Anglia, Climatic Research Unit, 2000

"Glaciers are melting, sea levels are rising, cloud forests are drying, and wildlife is scrambling to keep pace. It's becoming clear that humans have caused most of the past century's warming by releasing heat-trapping gases as we power our modern lives. Called greenhouse gases, their levels are higher now than in the last 650,000 years". National Geographic, 2014

"There is an overwhelming scientific consensus worldwide, and a broad political consensus, that greenhouse gas emissions are affecting global climate, and that measures are needed to reduce these emissions significantly so as to limit the extent of climate change". Society of Biology, 2014

"The scientific evidence is clear: global climate change caused by human activities is occurring now, and it is a growing threat to society." American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2006

"Antarctic ice cores reveal the clearest link between levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and the Earth's temperature. They show that the temperature of the climate and the levels of greenhouse gases are intimately linked". British Antarctic Survey, 2014

"It is clear that major efforts are necessary to quickly and strongly reduce CO2 emissions". European Federation of Geologists, 2008

"Comprehensive scientific assessments of our current and potential future climates clearly indicate that climate change is real, largely attributable to emissions from human activities, and potentially a very serious problem." American Chemical Society, 2004

"Human‐induced climate change requires urgent action. Humanity is the major influence on the global climate change observed over the past 50 years. Rapid societal responses can significantly lessen negative outcomes." American Geophysical Union, Adopted 2003, revised and reaffirmed 2007, 2012, 2013

"The Geological Society of America (GSA) concurs with assessments by the National Academies of Science (2005), the National Research Council (2006), and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, 2007) that global climate has warmed and that human activities (mainly greenhouse‐gas emissions) account for most of the warming since the middle 1900s." The Geological Society of America (2006; revised 2010)
    yeah, but Nigel Lawson and his GWPF nutters (along with the Daily Mail) says it doesn't exist, so it can't be true.

actually the GWPF are not nutters. Lawson is an neo-liberal arch capitalist who sees such science as getting in the way of him and his mates making money. There is a strong not coincidental link between GWPF and people with a financial interest in fracking companies. Th Global Warming Policy Foundation looks, from the outside, like a cynical attempt to discredit the science that points to global warming to allow through policy which will let them start fracking and make financial gain.
    Even if Global Warming exists, we would not be achieving anything by using cleaner energy because Countries like China and India are building Coal Fire Power stations. Cheaper energy in these Countries but more expensive in the EU Countries.
    that wasn't my point. it was that people like Lawson, and other similar naysayers, are not that interested in whether global warming exists or not. what concerns them is that the drive for green clean energy is getting in the way of their ability to make money through fracking.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

Stig said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Why do you think global warming exist's when the science has not even been settled yet?
    You are joking, aren't you?

Climate change is one of the defining issues of our time. It is now more certain than ever, based on many lines of evidence, that humans are changing Earth’s climate”. The Royal Society, Feb 2014

"Most climate scientists agree the main cause of the current global warming trend is human expansion of the greenhouse effect”. NASA, 2014

"Scientific research shows that the climate - that is, the average temperature of the planet's surface - has risen by 0.89 °C from 1901 to 2012. Compared with climate change patterns throughout Earth's history, the rate of temperature rise since the Industrial Revolution is extremely high". The Met Office, February 2014

"It is clear from extensive scientific evidence that the dominant cause of the rapid change in climate of the past half century is human-induced increases in the amount of atmospheric greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide (CO2), chlorofluorocarbons, methane, and nitrous oxide." American Meteorological Society, 2012

"Although the earth’s climate has changed considerably in the past (and will due in the future) because of natural factors, it is very likely that most of the global temperature rise observed since the middle of the last century has been caused by increasing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere from human activities such as fossil-fuel burning'. Royal Meteorological Society, 2014

"The evidence is incontrovertible: Global warming is occurring. If no mitigating actions are taken, significant disruptions in the Earth’s physical and ecological systems, social systems, security and human health are likely to occur. We must reduce emissions of greenhouse gases beginning now." American Physical Society (2007)

Of the more than 29,000 observational data series, from 75 studies, that show significant change in many physical and biological systems, more than 89% are consistent with the direction of change expected as a response to warming” Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, 2007

"Climate change is happening now. The U.S. and the world are warming, global sea level is rising, and some types of extreme weather events are becoming more frequent and more severe". US Global Change Research Program, May 2014

Rapid change is unfolding throughout the Arctic: A warming climate is reshaping Arctic ecosystems, causing the loss of sea ice and glaciers, thawing of permafrost, and changing snow patterns”. US National Academy of Sciences, April 2014

"By the end of this century, droughts in Europe are expected to be more frequent and intense due to climate change and increased water use". European Geosciences Union, January 2014

Unfortunately, humanity, through energy generation, changing land use and other processes, has produced a substantial increase in the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, enhancing the natural greenhouse effect, and it is feared that this continuing change will lead to a major shift in global climate”. University of East Anglia, Climatic Research Unit, 2000

"Glaciers are melting, sea levels are rising, cloud forests are drying, and wildlife is scrambling to keep pace. It's becoming clear that humans have caused most of the past century's warming by releasing heat-trapping gases as we power our modern lives. Called greenhouse gases, their levels are higher now than in the last 650,000 years". National Geographic, 2014

"There is an overwhelming scientific consensus worldwide, and a broad political consensus, that greenhouse gas emissions are affecting global climate, and that measures are needed to reduce these emissions significantly so as to limit the extent of climate change". Society of Biology, 2014

"The scientific evidence is clear: global climate change caused by human activities is occurring now, and it is a growing threat to society." American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2006

"Antarctic ice cores reveal the clearest link between levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and the Earth's temperature. They show that the temperature of the climate and the levels of greenhouse gases are intimately linked". British Antarctic Survey, 2014

"It is clear that major efforts are necessary to quickly and strongly reduce CO2 emissions". European Federation of Geologists, 2008

"Comprehensive scientific assessments of our current and potential future climates clearly indicate that climate change is real, largely attributable to emissions from human activities, and potentially a very serious problem." American Chemical Society, 2004

"Human‐induced climate change requires urgent action. Humanity is the major influence on the global climate change observed over the past 50 years. Rapid societal responses can significantly lessen negative outcomes." American Geophysical Union, Adopted 2003, revised and reaffirmed 2007, 2012, 2013

"The Geological Society of America (GSA) concurs with assessments by the National Academies of Science (2005), the National Research Council (2006), and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, 2007) that global climate has warmed and that human activities (mainly greenhouse‐gas emissions) account for most of the warming since the middle 1900s." The Geological Society of America (2006; revised 2010)
    yeah, but Nigel Lawson and his GWPF nutters (along with the Daily Mail) says it doesn't exist, so it can't be true.

actually the GWPF are not nutters. Lawson is an neo-liberal arch capitalist who sees such science as getting in the way of him and his mates making money. There is a strong not coincidental link between GWPF and people with a financial interest in fracking companies. Th Global Warming Policy Foundation looks, from the outside, like a cynical attempt to discredit the science that points to global warming to allow through policy which will let them start fracking and make financial gain.
    Even if Global Warming exists, we would not be achieving anything by using cleaner energy because Countries like China and India are building Coal Fire Power stations. Cheaper energy in these Countries but more expensive in the EU Countries.
    F*** it, you're right. We might as well join them. Are you up for helping set some limits? Are you cool with the smog of the 19th century? Should we re-introduce leaded fuel? Commit 100% of rubbish to landfill?
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

JiMMy 85 said:

DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Why do you think it doesn't?
    The World climate changes all the time and just because temperatures have broken then everyone seems to think we are heading for disaster. Let's not forget the medievil warm period when it was warmer than it is today and ever wondered why Greenland is called Greenland? Because their was an colony hundreds of years ago before the land frozen.

Not all scientists are saying Global Warming is happening, some are saying we are heading to a period of global cooling.

I'm not a denier, I just don't see any real evidence to suggest it is happening when looking at the history of the weather in this Country.

Did you not see Stig's post? Was it like a colour blind test and you literally cannot see the words?
    Yes I did and I did not have much time to reply back until now, before you start being patronising.

Now some of my evidence:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2415191/And-global-COOLING-Return-Arctic-ice-cap-grows-29-year.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/climatechange/10294082/Global-warming-No-actually-were-cooling-claim-scientists.html

http://joannenova.com.au/2014/06/big-news-viii-new-solar-model-predicts-imminent-global-cooling/

http://rt.com/usa/171656-patrick-moore-global-cooling/

http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/10/31/russian-academy-of-sciences-global-warming-over-in-central-asia-current-temps-not-unique-cooler-era-ahead/

http://www.globalclimatescam.com/category/global-cooling/
    I've not gone a all the way down your list and frankly I'm not going to waste my time on it, but I will respond to the top one because I know from off the top of my head that that has already been explained by a mis-reading of the data. In short, what you've linked to is wrong and it is out of date.
  • Options
    General myths that annoy you......that there are actually any rumours in the rumours thread.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Recycling helps!
    An utter myth, while Asia, Russia and the USA are ignoring any save the planet campaigns and in fact spuing out more waste than the rest of the world put together, anyone recycling anything is wasting their time!
    Anyway the world will run out of food long before the ice caps melt!

Surely every little helps? As long as it isn't making the situation worse isn't it a good thing? For the very little effort involved, isn't it worth a try?

Genuine questions, interested in the answers.
    Sean Lock hit the nail on the head, 'recycling is the equivalent of turning up at the aftermath of an earthquake with a dustpan and brush'
    Without recycling Millwalls ground would be in a nicer area.
    That's a myth, it will look a rats nest no matter what.
  • Options
    That the British have poor teeth. We all know this is only true if you live north of Birmingham
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Another old one is the guy who got a tomato seed stuck up his japs eye after a session potting the brown.

I'm disappointed. I heard that he let it grow and had a real Moneymaker on his hands, or was it a Cherokee Purple.
  • Options
    Sheffield United will come good
  • Options

Ice cream vans play their jingle when they have run out of ice cream.

Haha, my sister has been running that game on my niece and nephew for a couple of years now - imagine that they'll be posting the same thing on a similar thread a couple of decades from now
  • Options
    Hang on...if I can't catch a cold from either "something going around" (SH2T), or being cold/wet (jimmy85), then what the fuck is happening to me at least twice year? Global warming?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    That fat ugly birds try harder

That's just bollox they cost more in the kebab shop and take up two seats in a cab the only thing that trys harder is the bloke getting their fat arses out of the cab and through a normal sized door without lube
  • Options

Hang on...if I can't catch a cold from either "something going around" (SH2T), or being cold/wet (jimmy85), then what the fuck is happening to me at least twice year? Global warming?

if you are seriously interested avid, then message me personally and will share some gratis guidance...i don't want any further "internet troll" accusations;>)
  • Options
    Shooters- the cold is caused by contact with the cold virus.

Here endeth my lesson.
  • Options

I read an article about the various strains of cold (like, 20-odd types or something) that come around and the idea that there's one bug 'doing the rounds' is a bit unrealistic. I don't know if SH2T can explain that better or not. All I can tell you is, a cold is a virus. Being cold and wet does not introduce a virus into your body - you have to get infected to get a cold. Not BE cold. You can't get an STD from being cold any more than you can get a common cold from being cold. It just doesn't make any sense.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I read an article about the various strains of cold (like, 20-odd types or something) that come around and the idea that there's one bug 'doing the rounds' is a bit unrealistic. I don't know if SH2T can explain that better or not. All I can tell you is, a cold is a virus. Being cold and wet does not introduce a virus into your body - you have to get infected to get a cold. Not BE cold. You can't get an STD from being cold any more than you can get a common cold from being cold. It just doesn't make any sense.
    Dont tell my mrs
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

Why do you think it doesn't?
    The World climate changes all the time and just because temperatures have broken then everyone seems to think we are heading for disaster. Let's not forget the medievil warm period when it was warmer than it is today and ever wondered why Greenland is called Greenland? Because their was an colony hundreds of years ago before the land frozen.

Not all scientists are saying Global Warming is happening, some are saying we are heading to a period of global cooling.

I'm not a denier, I just don't see any real evidence to suggest it is happening when looking at the history of the weather in this Country.
    You are right, I think it's about 90% of scientists who say that global warming is happening, and I choose to go with that opinion rather than the 10 percent, a number of whom are in the pay of oil companies and similar corporations who make pots of money with no thought for the future. The rest probably think F1 is a sport and drive SUVs around Knightsbridge... ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's without a doubt happening just why how fast and how to stop it is unknown
  • Options
    Jeremy Clarkson is always denying the existence of global warming.
    He's probably also a member of the flat earth society.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Shooters- the cold is caused by contact with the cold virus.

Here endeth my lesson.

the medical business launched the tall "evil virus" tale when the germ theory began to lack impact, and when popular drug "remedies" began to sometimes fail to fully suppress the symptom. (no drugs, or any invasive medical protocols EVER address cause.)

i fully understand that it is very challenging to let go of the contagious premise, (whether germ, virus or creepy crawly du jour), however, even the the originator of the fallacious germ theory, louis pasteur, recanted later in life, but by then society had perpetuated the lie, which conveniently states - nothing is your responsibility, all "ills" are caused by micro-organisms that we cannot see. if germs really were the cause of our "ills", then how would you explain that they are in/on absolutely everything? you have more bacteria cells inside you than human cells etc. etc. - all sentient life would soon perish if they really WERE our enemy.

all physiological imbalance, (so-called sickness), is caused by our incorrect lifestyle choices, and only correcting those choices will return us to balance.

through two decades of professional and personal experience, my asserting this truth does not typically lead to it being embraced, but more often, resistance, a lively debate or an idealogical clash is the result. what does work, is when an individual takes inventory of all their lifestyle choices, makes the appropriate corrections, and then proves that the germ theory is an empty lie.
  • Options
    all physiological imbalance, (so-called sickness), is caused by our incorrect lifestyle choices, and only correcting those choices will return us to balance.

utter bunkum.

what lifestyle choice causes Leukaemia ?
  • Options
    So Bazalgette was wasting his time building the sewers then?

Your theory on germs is like saying you wont get eaten by a lion because Tiddles likes to sit on your lap and get his tummy tickled.

I don't think anyone claims "all ills" are caused by germs do they? I am pretty sure I have never heard anyone suggest cancer is caused by a germ?

I am sure you have a point that big business/drug companies do prey on our fears in order to shift their products, but my lifestyle is pretty much the same 24 hours a day seven days a week, and sometimes I have a cold and others I don't; is it because I didn't eat the crusts on my bread on Wednesday that week, or because I didn't go to bed until 12.30 on Sunday?

• Options

Jeremy Clarkson is always denying the existence of global warming.
    He's probably also a member of the flat earth society.

What I was alluding to when I mentioned scientists driving SUVs, most people who deny global warming are those that want to carry on their environment damaging ways which bring them pleasure or profit.
  • Options
    The old favourite that's wheeled out before every Manchester Derby that Denis Law scored the goal that relegated Manchester United in the 70's. No he didn't, the goal made absolutely no difference as other results that day would have relegated United regardless.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

utter bunkum.

the precise nature of incorrect or aberrant life choices that contravene our natural design, differ slightly from individual to individual, and require a full and frank consultation, albeit that our societal deviations are fairly similar, ie. in these key categories of human need: air, rest, movement, sunlight, food, water and self-respect. toxemia, (one medical business name for which being leukemia), is a description of a body where the barrage of toxins caused by incorrect life choices has overridden the being's ability to defend against such an unnatural onslaught - hence, toxic overload/toxemia.; at which time, the body has to produce an extraordinary healing action to begin to correct the imbalance in protecting the key organs/overall being, which is the symptom, which we then seek to suppress, instead of accept the temprary discomfort as being caused by our own aberrant choices, (or in the cases of babies, their mothers).

tbh, mr one lung, is my explanation in giving voice to the/your body gaining any real traction, or are we merely jousting? instead, i encourage you to try my basic lifestyle guidance, (see "exercise experiment" thread, and thereby prove these universal truths over time.
    coya.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

utter bunkum.

the precise nature of incorrect or aberrant life choices that contravene our natural design, differ slightly from individual to individual, and require a full and frank consultation, albeit that our societal deviations are fairly similar, ie. in these key categories of human need: air, rest, movement, sunlight, food, water and self-respect. toxemia, (one medical business name for which being leukemia), is a description of a body where the barrage of toxins caused by incorrect life choices has overridden the being's ability to defend against such an unnatural onslaught - hence, toxic overload/toxemia.; at which time, the body has to produce an extraordinary healing action to begin to correct the imbalance in protecting the key organs/overall being, which is the symptom, which we then seek to suppress, instead of accept the temprary discomfort as being caused by our own aberrant choices, (or in the cases of babies, their mothers).

tbh, mr one lung, is my explanation in giving voice to the/your body gaining any real traction, or are we merely jousting? instead, i encourage you to try my basic lifestyle guidance, (see "exercise experiment" thread, and thereby prove these universal truths over time.
    coya.

So mr know it all, what bad life choices do/have children made to contract such a disease ?