Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

General MYTHS that annoy you

Comments

• more myths that annoy? christopher columbus as heroic explorer, instead of a murderous invader lost at sea. the complete myth of "thanksgiving" - in both cases, pity the native american peoples, who, after their genocide/ethnic cleanse, now largely invisible/relegated to the middle of nowhere...

To be fair there is quite a big movement in America to remove this from being a public holiday as a lot of people are aware of what he did. I certainly wasn't taught what he was really like in school...
  • more myths that annoy? christopher columbus as heroic explorer, instead of a murderous invader lost at sea. the complete myth of "thanksgiving" - in both cases, pity the native american peoples, who, after their genocide/ethnic cleanse, now largely invisible/relegated to the middle of nowhere...

To be fair there is quite a big movement in America to remove this from being a public holiday as a lot of people are aware of what he did. I certainly wasn't taught what he was really like in school...
    now there's a thread moutuakilla, "myths taught in school".

About the only people who get the day off on Columbus Day are government workers. In the private sector it almost goes unnoticed, except for the fact that the roads are much less congested and retailers have sales.
  • limeygent said:

more myths that annoy? christopher columbus as heroic explorer, instead of a murderous invader lost at sea. the complete myth of "thanksgiving" - in both cases, pity the native american peoples, who, after their genocide/ethnic cleanse, now largely invisible/relegated to the middle of nowhere...

About the only people who get the day off on Columbus Day are government workers. In the private sector it almost goes unnoticed, except for the fact that the roads are much less congested and retailers have sales.
    typically, he is still lionized, and those of italian descent show no sign letting the legend/myth go.
  • Fumbluff said:

Maybe @bedsaddick should do a poll of top 5 annoying listers, i reckon i'm an outside bet for #6</blockquote

Mmm good idea...

• Fumbluff said:

Maybe @bedsaddick should do a poll of top 5 annoying listers, i reckon i'm an outside bet for #6

now, that thread would be a top barrel o' fun!;>)
  • edited August 2014

without wishing to ontinue jousting, as for the chief overnight accusations, here a few rapid responses:

a) i have been on here before as lincs/maybe baby and other aka's or interlopers??? : i invite anyone to do a search of my posts to see a diverse range of questions/views etc.coast suggest otherwise, or ask the admin my location/origin. but even if it were so, what's the big deal.

Okay cards on the table since you invited comments...

1. As far as I know no one has suggested you were Lincs Addick but interesting you have brought up a poster who stopped before you started getting involved IIRC.

2. Having followed your posts from the start you have mentioned on more than several occasions your much younger partner and your drug taking. You're obviously at pains to point out how much more you know about music than most, you've developed this hippy/weirdo persona and post at odd times of the night...all just like maybe baby but apparently now on the basis that you live on the US west coast. We haven't even got on to the utter rubbish and offensive views you post, again in the style of dearly departed maybe. I think you're more Ludlow than LA myself...and frankly I'm surprised that so few have picked up on the pointers that have been there from the start.

3. It matters because inevitably when you are finally banned as per maybe/windscreen, etc you can't help but pop up elsewhere bragging about how you have mugged off CL but, essentially, you are taking the pee of plenty of (good) people on here who are dealing with you on face value.

Getting back to the thread nobody laughed at him when Kennedy said “Ich bin ein Berliner”...
  • without wishing to continue jousting, as for the chief overnight accusations, here a few rapid responses:

a) i have been on here before as lincs/maybe baby and other aka's or interlopers??? : i invite anyone to do a search of my posts to see a diverse range of questions/views etc. that suggest otherwise, or ask the admin my location/origin. but even if it were so, what's the big deal?...

...all just like maybe baby but apparently now on the basis that you live on the US west coast. We haven't even got on to the utter rubbish and offensive views you post, again in the style of dearly departed maybe. I think you're more Ludlow than LA myself...and frankly I'm surprised that so few have picked up on the pointers that have been there from the start...

Just so we can finally put the debate about shootershill2tropics' location to bed, I have looked up the information that I have available. From what I can see he is based in Westminster. Don't get too excited though BA. It's Westminster CA, not Westminster SW1.
  • Stig said:

without wishing to continue jousting, as for the chief overnight accusations, here a few rapid responses:

a) i have been on here before as lincs/maybe baby and other aka's or interlopers??? : i invite anyone to do a search of my posts to see a diverse range of questions/views etc. that suggest otherwise, or ask the admin my location/origin. but even if it were so, what's the big deal?...

...all just like maybe baby but apparently now on the basis that you live on the US west coast. We haven't even got on to the utter rubbish and offensive views you post, again in the style of dearly departed maybe. I think you're more Ludlow than LA myself...and frankly I'm surprised that so few have picked up on the pointers that have been there from the start...

Just so we can finally put the debate about shootershill2tropics' location to bed, I have looked up the information that I have available. From what I can see he is based in Westminster. Don't get too excited though BA. It's Westminster CA, not Westminster SW1.
    Ha, ha Stig fair enough if that's the case. I don't know anything about them tbh but would that take into account things like proxy servers though?
  • That's all the I've got, I don't know anything about it either.
  • Sponsored links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbbMIg-Aw8E
  • without wishing to continue jousting, as for the chief overnight accusations, here a few rapid responses:

a) i have been on here before as lincs/maybe baby and other aka's or interlopers??? : i invite anyone to do a search of my posts to see a diverse range of questions/views etc. that suggest otherwise, or ask the admin my location/origin. but even if it were so, what's the big deal?

b) i am a so-called troll? : if you want to converse with yourself, go the nearest mirror; however, isn't this a forum? i am merely a person who constantly questions everything in reviewing and refining my path and the world i inhabit. i am newly inhabiting charlton life because i am a charlton fanatic, however, i can move on if unwelcome. btw, i really appreciate those who can see i mean well, while not agreeing wholesale with my posts.

c) i do not provide quick/straight answers? : sorry that my explanations are nebulous for you, algarve. unlike the prevailing medical model, i seek to provide context and understanding in highlighting an optimal way of life, which in turn requires a re-assessment of deeply held beliefs.

d) steve jobs? : i don't know the full details are where he was and how he arrived there, and so, i cannot provide a view as to why he developed acute and then, chronic symptoms, and eventually passed on. what i do know, is that if we continue to contravene the laws of nature, then our bodies will eventually run out of protective options, and thereby elect to efficiently move back to the earth, and begin the life-giving process once again in a new form.

e) if we didn't enslave, commodify and murder cows and other non-human animals, their only refuge would be zoos : there is so much wrong with that assertion, that i don't know where to begin, without taking up pages. how about for a start, see all life as YOU, and personalize your relationship with those you so easily/lazily dismiss; and in putting yourself in the shoes of others, employ some basic compassion & empathy? or at least care for your own health, and live accordingly. zoos are prison camps. did you ever look deep into the prisoner's eyes, and see their broken spirits?

f) the merit of cows milk? : i consumed lakes of cows milk, until as an adult i questioned this aberrant habit, and i soon got it. yum yum, blood and pus filled secretions from scabby/dis-eased teats anyone? even calves don't consume their mother's breast milk after weaning, let alone another completely unrelated species doing so. if breast milk is so wonderful and vital to you beyond continuing a misguided habit, then at least stick to your own species. furthermore, to be very clear/straight algarve, unless we are biologically adapted and naturally designed to consume a substance, then by definition it is a poison for us. this basic rule is the same for all sentient beings, except nature's "clean-up crew", ie those invaluable, efficient & effective consumers of waste, eg. ants, rats, cockroaches, bacteria and other micro-organisms.

in summary, i mean well, and with certain issues such as health, i have witnessed such transformation that it is hard to temper my enthusiasm for methods that seem to just work! i am so confident that my clients receive a money back guarantee! how many practitioners in the field of health offer such an assurance?!?! albeit, that i do admit, some of my posts are polemic, but hey, i am far from the finished article, and i often irritate myself, so can fully understand how others might feel similarly.

What does nebulous mean?
    "I can't give you a straight answer that does not contradict what I have previously posted" in this case I guess?
  • Stig said:

without wishing to continue jousting, as for the chief overnight accusations, here a few rapid responses:

Ha, ha Stig fair enough if that's the case. I don't know anything about them tbh but would that take into account things like proxy servers though?
    my word bournemouth, were your ancestors from salem per chance? so, in seeking a solution, seriously, how can i meet your needs here, as you appear disgruntled? btw, i am actually located in lawndale, just inland from the better known manhattan beach, part of los angeles, if anyone wants to say hello for the purpose of establishing the veracity of my words. (also ba, regarding lincs, it was suggested by at least one party that i might be the same, soon after i recently arrived on cl.)
  • Please tell me Florida_addick is back @Shag will be pleased.
  • I will be over the moon , picture proof is required though
  • Plaaayer said:

Please tell me Florida_addick is back @Shag will be pleased.

when i was accused of being florida addick soon after arriving, i checked out some of his posts - dear oh dear, please nooooo!!! all i pictured was "medallion man", which is planets away from me.
  • edited August 2014
    Wednesday were once Massive :-)

Some believe they still are!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably mentioned already but....

A swan can break your arm with it's wings
    Sheff Wednesday are a massive club
  • Wasps are aliens
  • Ducks originally lived underground
  • Istanbul is the capital of Turkey
  • Duck quacks don't echo
    Yeah they do, just not as much as other noises

Running in the rain gets you wetter than walking
    not a fecking chance
  • If you swallow chewing gum it gets stuck in your insides.
  • If you pick your nose your eyes will drop out.
  • . Dolphins might not be as intelligent as we thought. Turns out a whacky scientist did some crazy shit to them in the 60s and people took his research far too seriously
  • the daily mail ...