Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford vs Charlton Ath | Sat 9th August 2014 | Match Preview and Predictions

So this is it!

After a World Cup-filled summer with perhaps, unsurprisingly, another disappointing tournament for England, this weekend will the start of a new Football League campaign with not a single ‘B’ team involved.

Charlton kick off their campaign away at Griffin Park against Brentford, in a game which will see the Bees play in the Championship (first division) for the first time in 21 years.

Saturday will also be the first competitive game in charge for Addicks boss Bob Peeters, and his first line-up will no doubt see some debutantes in the red (black) shirt.

The Opposition:

Brentford will be fairly confident of a good season this year after finishing as runners-up to Wolves in last year’s League One campaign.

Manager Mark Warburton has certainly added to his squad this season with the likes of Moses Odubajo and Andre Gray arriving from Leyton Orient and Luton respectively. Alex Pritchard (on loan from Spurs), Scott Hogan (from Rochdale) and Marcos Tebar (from Almeria) were some other new faces at Griffin Park this summer.

Warburton’s side may include two ex-Addicks this weekend with David Button in goal and Alan (McOxo) McCormack in defence/midfield. The pair didn’t enjoy the best of spells at the Valley, but were regulars in the side that helped Brentford achieve promotion last season.

Key player Adam Forshaw has been a transfer target for Wigan in recent weeks, so whether the midfielder will start or not on Saturday remains unclear.

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Brentford:

The Bees’ player to watch is summer signing Moses Odubajo. The ex-Leyton Orient winger was signed for a rumoured £1m and will certainly be wanting to show that he is worth that fee. He is a skilful, fast and tricky player and Charlton’s full-backs will have to be on top of their game to deal with him.

He also has the ability to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg5yKX2WwCY

Charlton:

CAFC’s player to watch on Saturday is striker Igor Vetokele. After seeing him last weekend in Portsmouth, I was very impressed with the way he could create a chance out of hardly anything. He’ll be a key player for the Addicks this season, if we want to enjoy a good campaign.

In case you haven’t seen what he can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhamlNPGq_I

The Line –Up:

Well the game against Pompey last Saturday certainly gave an indication into the starting eleven that Peeters may select this weekend.

Henderson was given the full 90 minutes in goal against his former side, so is likely to be given the number one spot ahead of the upcoming 'keeper Nick Pope.

Chris Solly, Andre Bikey, Tal Ben Haim and Rhoys Wiggins were the defence and are likely to continue on Saturday. However, the likes of Michael Morrison and Lawrie Wilson will also be in contention for places at Griffin Park.

In midfield, Johann Gudmundsson, Yoni Buyens and Johnnie Jackson are set to start. On the left wing, it will be most likely Callum Harriott who will be selected but only if the academy graduate is fit. Franck Moussa may be fit enough for a place on the bench.

It’s possible Peeters will go with a 4-4-2 after George Tucudean and Igor Vetokele impressed as a partnership up-front against Pompey. If ‘Big Bob’ selects an extra man in midfield then Tucudean will probably drop to the bench and Jordan Cousins will most likely be selected as the extra midfielder.

The Prediction:

A 1-1 draw to start the season.

Comments

• Options
    2-1 to start the season COYR!!
  • Options
    Call me crazy but 4-1 to us
  • Options
    Tough game to start with. Lot of unknowns for both sides. I'd start Morro with Ben Haim.

Draw would be a decent result
  • Options
    First throw-in: 87 seconds
    First corner: 6 mins 17 seconds
    First sending off: 32 minutes
    Floodlight failure: 79 minutes

(Those who have seen the other thread re live stream will get the jist...)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ohhhh how I've missed a preview....

Welcome back everyone to the Charlton Merry Go Around....

Charlton 2-1 win. Vetokele brace.
  • Options
    2-1 win for us, Gudmundsson and Vetokele with the goals.
  • Options
    2-2
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    1-2

2 for Igor
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Playing a newly promoted side away on the first game of the season is not what we want.

3-1 defeat
  • Options
    i think 1-1. we will show decent spells and so will they but oth teams wont want to lose (as opposed to those times when teams do want to lose ;))and we hold out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-0 to us. Igor to score. Jacko to miss a penalty.
  • Options

Despite all the changes, we have the same essential problem as last season. No creativity in midfield and far too lightweight for a Championship campaign.

Might scrape a draw but I suspect we will be over-run in midfield by hard-working and busy bees desperate for points early on.

0-1 and nil points.
  • Options
    2-1 defeat Moses Odubajo with the winner.
  • Options
    3-3 and a real humdinger of a match with enough in there for shouts of "promotion challenge" and "tough season ahead" to keep all the fanbase on tenterhooks
  • Options

Despite all the changes, we have the same essential problem as last season. No creativity in midfield and far too lightweight for a Championship campaign.

Might scrape a draw but I suspect we will be over-run in midfield by hard-working and busy bees desperate for points early on.

0-1 and nil points.

but...but...new signings :(
  • Options
    I have a sneaky feeling that we will win this 2-0. Sadly I'm away this weekend with no access to a PC, therefore I cant do the match thread, however @lancashireLad has agreed to step in (thanks mate) and will get the honour of the first match thread of this promotion (hopefully) season. COYR's
  • Options
    and here we go again!

love it! 3-2 the Valliants ... in a total blinder .... 90 minute winner for Yohann...

COME ON YOU REEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    May I just say I haven't a clue what the result of this one will be?

I think it will take four or five games before we get to know how good or otherwise this side is.
  • Options
    Go to go for the old 1-1 London derby score on opening day. Both managers satisfied and both clubs unbeaten...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think that this is just the kind of opener we didn't want. Newly promoted side whose ground will be buzzing, just like Bournemouth last season. I would also play Morro and Ben Haim at the back. And pack out the midfield with Cousins.

Would be delighted with a point. Think it will be a tough game but excited to see if the hype we have given our side is justified.

• Options
    Great work Stubbers! 2-0 Addicks.
  • Options
    A comfortable victory and a clear sign of things to come.

3-0 to the Addicks
  • Options
    Tough game this. They'll be so up for it having won promotion and their fans will be buzzing having not played in the second tier for two decades.
    I also get the feeling Bob could do with another week or two of pre season training.
    I'll go 1-1. Jackson for us.
  • Options
    McOxo is nailed on to have a stormer, that's all I know.

Winner gets Delort
  • Options
    Welcome back to the land of football everyone, great preview Stubbers.

No idea how this goes, don't be surprised to see Fox at LB and Wiggins at LM. I'd also expect Wilson to start instead of Solly or Johnnie B Gud.

Can't wait and gagging for the first pint already !

COME ON YOU ADDICKS !!!!!!

• Options
    Harriot to start and score in a score draw.

C'mon Charlton
    C'mon Charlton
  • Options
    I'd take a point right now... Not gonna be easy against a side who have just come up, and have probably been trained harder than us because of the gap between divisions. 1-1 with us hanging on at the end. They will stay on til the end as they're at home....inorder to win... We need to shut them up early doors with a two nil lead.... Igor brace... But my moneys on 1-1.
  • Options
    I can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • Options
    Tough game. Head says 2-1 defeat but I'm going with my heart - 2-1 addicks, Vetokele and Jackson on the score sheet.