Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford vs Charlton Ath | Sat 9th August 2014 | Match Preview and Predictions

Comments

• Options
    Can't wait... Great preview btw...
  • Options

First throw-in: 87 seconds
    First corner: 6 mins 17 seconds
    First sending off: 32 minutes
    Floodlight failure: 79 minutes

(Those who have seen the other thread re live stream will get the jist...)

Dont forget Jacko to miss a pen 89 minutes
  • Options
    1-1 Gudmunsson for us.
  • Options
    new players have to see what it is all about, Morro & Cousins will start.
  • Options

Playing a newly promoted side away on the first game of the season is not what we want.

3-1 defeat

Brentford have been on a roll for the past two seasons, and as you quite rightly said about the promoted sides, worst game to have on the opening day.
    Stand by that even if we do win convincingly, I will be very happy with a draw.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

Tough game this. They'll be so up for it having won promotion and their fans will be buzzing having not played in the second tier for two decades.
    I also get the feeling Bob could do with another week or two of pre season training.
    I'll go 1-1. Jackson for us.

Their fans buzzing, to excuse the pun eh!
  • Options
    6-8 victory! A quiet opening few mi diesel leads to both defences going crazy and defending from the oppositions penalty box!

Alternatively

The whose squad is affected by food poisoning the night before so we are forced to play nock Pope up front! Turns out to be an inspired move from big bob as they can't handle his height and he sticks in a hat trick! Who says we need a new strikee! ;) 3-0
  • Options
    Just found out I'm going, we will probably score a shedload cos I've got to button it in the Brentford end
  • Options
    Opening day win for the Addicks... 0-1
  • Options
    Impossible to predict. We don't know if we are any good or if they are any good. Glad pwopa footy is back though! 14-0 to Brentford, TBH sent off after five mins, Igor breaks his leg and JJ misses six pens. Nah, not really. Fancy us for at least a point. Always look on the bright side of life etc.

PS. If any if you betting boys follow my nonsense and lump on at 5000 to 1 that we lose 14 - 0 and we do, I'll expect commission.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is more of a buzz this year with all the signings so its a bit like a new beginning with lots of players wanting to prove something so I think no complacency and a win and would love any new signing to score.
  • Options
    New signings take division by surprise?
    New signings don't adapt to English game?
    New team fails to gel?
    New team and manager bring fresh momentum?
    New team and manager result in too much disruption?
    Brentford on a promotion high?
    Brentford freeze on big occasion?

I'll be happy with a draw.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014
    3-0 to Brentford, (outside 2-0 to Brentford).
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    6-0 to the Addicks. Hattricks to Vetokele (all first half) and Delort, who dashes from the Eurostar and comes on as an impact sub in the 70th minute.

or

3-0 to Brentford who injure ALL of our new signings so that Simon Church is our only strike option for the next 3 months.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014

Call me crazy but 4-1 to us

You are crazy @Redandwhiteinmyviens

(you maybe a bit dyslexic as well or delirium is affecting your typing)
  • Options
    Two more sleeps
  • Options
    They ought to get you in the dressing room for the pre match gee up, Fanny!

COYR!! Bobby P's red and white army!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    vff said:

A tight team the core of who have played together for 2 seasons with some quality added against team of players who are just getting to know each other with a weak midfield, slow central defence and have trouble finding the back of the net. Brentford have played some good teams in the pre season with good results. They will be itching to prove themselves in their first championship fixture since 1993. Not a good opening fixture for Charlton.

Apologies to all for bringing some realism to this thread (not that it is likely to make much difference to the wildly optimistic predictions)

A superb analysis, weakened only by your apologies at the end. Stick to your guns, lad. Stubley's team and formation at the head of this thread is damn strong - is it too early to appoint him as our new manager?

We have a healthy mix of experienced pros, a mad dog, 'young guns', and strikers ravenous for the onion-bag. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't storm the play-offs next May. We'll beat Brentford on Saturday, 2-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The less goals the better. 0-0, 1-0 to us or 3-2 to them. Sitting on the fence? Yep. And, I'll still be wrong.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014

vff said:

A tight team the core of who have played together for 2 seasons with some quality added against team of players who are just getting to know each other with a weak midfield, slow central defence and have trouble finding the back of the net. Brentford have played some good teams in the pre season with good results. They will be itching to prove themselves in their first championship fixture since 1993. Not a good opening fixture for Charlton.

Apologies to all for bringing some realism to this thread (not that it is likely to make much difference to the wildly optimistic predictions)

A superb analysis, weakened only by your apologies at the end. Stick to your guns, lad. Stubley's team and formation at the head of this thread is damn strong - is it too early to appoint him as our new manager?

We have a healthy mix of experienced pros, a mad dog, 'young guns', and strikers ravenous for the onion-bag. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't storm the play-offs next May. We'll beat Brentford on Saturday, 2-1.
    Not sure how there can be 'a superb analysis' and 'we have a healthy mix of experienced pros - 2-1 win. It is a bit contradictory.
  • Options
    I'd take a point, vff.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    There's nothing wrong with optimism though is there? Regarding your first post @vff the fact is you don't know if our midfield is weak, you don't know if we are going to score goals or not and I wouldn't reckon you know whether Bikey and Ben Haim are particularly slow. On top of that, what do we know about Brentford other than they'll have a bit of momentum? Are they definitely going to be stronger? Haven't they got new players to bed in? Didn't Donaldson leave for the might of Birmingham?

I'm not going to get too excited about Saturday but to say people being too optimistic is due to too much time in the sun is a bit condescending IMHO. Basically, neither you nor I have a clue what's going to happen so we may as well go for the wildly positive mightn't we?

I predict a 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    vff said:

vff said:

I take no pleasure in pointing out the realities as I see them. Everyone can be wildy happy and optimistic for the start of the season and for the fixture. I would be happy to be proved wrong. IMO, the optimism relates to everyone being out in the sun for a long period and happiness for the start of the football season. I am just concerned for the crash and burn when it goes all a bit pear shaped. All those with wild optimism will pay no attention in any case, so I probably shouldn't worry.
    Your understanding of the reality - about the strengths of the opposition and the weakness of our squad - is absolutely spot-on, Vff. I agree with you, and thousands don't.

Yet, "crash and burn" is something the poor victims in war-zones suffer; nobody dies at football. You are right to be sceptical - about our midfield especially - and about whether we will play well this season.

Some of our supporters implore: "Get behind the boys, cheer them on! - and if you criticise any one of our players, you are disloyal." Their cries are daft because they abrogate the responsibility of the manager, coaches and players to play good football - and they treat us, the questioning fans, as recalcitrant sheep.

Do our opinions have any effect? Of course they do. Had we all hated Chris Powell, Duchatelet would have sacked him on the day of his takeover. He was well aware of our admiration and respect for Powell, expressed forcefully through Charlton Life, so he gave him - and us - a month.

I have been watching Charlton for 50 years. Every single player in our club plays to the very best of his ability; no professional player doesn't. It isn't the players themselves who decide whether they are good, nor their agents or the club's PR department; nor even the coaches, the managers and owners.

It is us, the fans, who are the arbiters.

• Options
    So hard to predict, although I think Brentford will get at least one goal, maybe we will score too/two...or more.
    Early season with rusty officials can be a bit hairy until things 'settle down', don't be surprised to see a sending off, if it is one of ours could be Bob is sent off too.
    Stab in the fence sitting dark 1-1.
  • Options
    You know the script.Early sting by a Bee.Whilst trying to extract the poison,we get stung again.2-0.
  • Options
    1-1 draw or a 1-0 loss. Miracles aren't created overnight, think it may take us a bit of time to get scoring goals. Brentford will overrun us in midfield if Big Bob isn't careful. Not sure they're going to give us the space Bob will be hoping for for the likes of Vetokele to get some chances. Intrigued as ever, this will say alot about Bob as a manager, early doors but let's see the confidence of the man. He usually bigs up attacking formations and style of play holding the ball, but not so sure he will do here. COYR
  • Options
    Tough looking game against a newly promoted side with a lot of belief - 2-1 Brentford
  • Options
    0-0