Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford vs Charlton Ath | Sat 9th August 2014 | Match Preview and Predictions

Comments

• Options
    Comfortable 3-0 home win. No shots on target for Charlton.
    Feeling optimistic!
  • Options
    3-1 to Brentford.
    Abandoned at 1/2 time because of a waterlogged pitch.
    Lightning can strike twice you know!
  • Options
    I just want us to get off to a good start so all the negative people can be quiet and allow us positive people a chance to enjoy our team
  • Options

To be honest and fair, in my humble opinion, I've read bigger wind ups and more offensive posts than that written by Viewfinder. It's just harmless nonsense, especially the attempt to set up Hemingway, Greene, Larkin et al as the standard by which we should judge the stuff written on here. This isn't a literary competition. Just to prove it I'll start the next sentence with "and". And "suffix" is a noun, not a verb. One cannot "suffix" anything. It isn't big or clever.

Hurrah! You should be proud of understanding the importance of the grammatical distinctions. Have you ever looked at the thread titles on CL? - the headlines state "that", when referring to a human being. 'A Striker That Left Us..."

For those who don't understand the difference, "Who" is who they are. The rest of the thread is full of casual slagging off, a revolting mixture of bitterness, envy and pride. "That" refers to objects, inanimate.

Henry Irving made a very important point a few months ago: He pointed out to you - Don't refer to players as "dead wood".

I have a suggestion: Go back in to the archives of Charlton Life and look at the first pages, 2006, and notice how the discussion is conducted with natural courtesy. Now, even an innocuous frippery like 'Would Ya?' or 'Whose Rack' descends into acrimony within five minutes.

"You said..." "But I said..." Simon Church has vastly more footballing skill and intelligence than you could ever have, Wheresmeticket. And, he's "He", not "That".

• Options
    13 - 1 win. Easy. COYA
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Henry Irving made a very important point a few months ago: He pointed out to you - Don't refer to players as "dead wood".

When you say "you", do you mean "you" plural - that is, everyone who is not "me" - in this case you, or do you mean "you" singular, in this case me, I, Wheresmeticket? ?

If the latter, I am afraid you are mistaking me for someone else.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    #acrimony
  • Options
    Tough game to call this. Interesting stat from last season, of all 12 promoted teams from the football league none lost their opening fixture... can't see that happening this year but can see a tight game here. 1-1 after going 1 down, suicide squad come out on here before one of the new boys gets an equaliser with us hanging on for a point at the end.
  • Options

When you say "you", do you mean "you" plural - that is, everyone who is not "me" - in this case you, or do you mean me, I, Wheresmeticket? ?

If the latter, I am afraid you are mistaking me for someone else.
    You work it out, son. Come back tomorrow with something better.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very nice.
  • Options
    I hope they have put some sort of cover over the pitch
  • Options

I hope they have put some sort of cover over the pitch

And a cover over the English language class above!
    Perhaps they will tip more water on the pitch in the morning? Still gonna beat them :)
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2014

vff said:

Not quite sure what you are talking about there @Viewfinder. You post is not really relating to my comment.

.....You are not the only one who feels that way.

A) That your post does not relate to what was just written and you have gone off on a tangent of your own ?
    B) That you sometimes get carried away with the prose in your post and lose focus on the main thing you are saying ?
    C) That you sometimes have a few too many red wines before you post.
    D) That some of the stuff you write is a bit of a wind up ?
    E) Something that you have thought that was said but not specified what that is.
    &
    F) What are you talking about ?
    G) What is your prediction by the way ? (to get the thread back on track)

H - Evidently there are plenty of other people on this site who are suffering with Asperger's syndrome -You could set up a support group, or you could spend your whole life prefixing messages with 'To be fair', 'To be honest', 'In my opinion' - and this takes the biscuit - 'In My Humble Opinion'.

Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

Did Hemingway ever suffix his paragraphs with an emoticon? Or Albert Camus? Or Raymond Carver, Georges Simenon or John Updike? Or John Cheever, Saul Bellow or Philip Larkin? Or Patrick Hamilton or Graham Greene?

You are going to say: "Who are they?"
    Yes, err sticking to the point of the thread is a terrible thing to do on a football forum. All slightly surreal and entertaining nonsense there Viewfinder. Yes, Hemmingway probably would have a blog and do selfies whilst doing the bull run in Madrid (if he was around today).

Is there a confirmation of your actual prediction for the game ?

2-1 to Charlton was it ?

• Options
    When I read Viewfinder's posts Stuart Hall always springs to mind..

The Radio 5 match report Stuart Hall... not the other stuff ...
  • Options
    Already given my prediction (which I hope so much is wrong) but I desperately hope for two things tomorrow:

1. We test Button several times. Too often over the past few seasons I've left a game barely noticing the opposing keeper.

2.Every single Charlton player gives his absolute all - Brentford will. If it's not quite enough, so be it while they all bed in.
  • Options

Just found a bar here in Oludiniz, Turkey that is showing the game - happy days.

2-2 draw

Really? Where? I'm in Hisarono,just up the road from oludeniz?
  • Options
    I think we will win easy here. We are a better team than that lot. I am going for 3-0, Bikey,Harriott,Vetokele
  • Options
    I'm so excited
    And I just can't hide it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just found a bar here in Oludiniz, Turkey that is showing the game - happy days.

2-2 draw

Really? Where? I'm in Hisarono,just up the road from oludeniz?
    I'm in Marmaris. Any idea what channel I should ask for?
  • Options
    Point will be a good one but sadly i see a 2-0 defeat on the horizon. I will be there hope i am wrong.
  • Options
    Omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg it's finally here!!!!! Omg omg omg
  • Options
    Buzzing for today 2-1 or 3-2 win I would say. I reckon this team has goals in it.
  • Options
    StevieK said:

Buzzing for today 2-1 or 3-2 win I would say. I reckon this team has goals in it.

We have hidden it well so far so could be they are not expecting it :-)
  • Options

2-2 draw

That's brilliant !

On the HMS Hurlingham making steady progress down the Thames.

2-1 win to us, winner in the 75th from Harriott.
  • Options
    1-1, Igor fgs
  • Options
    Just polished off pint number two in The Griffin. The home fans are understandably confident but cautious.

The barmaids (of which there are not a few) are steeling themselves for the arrival of 'the boat people'. Off to The Lord Nelson in a minute for lunch and a couple more pints of Pride.

The atmosphere is building and I think the buzz in this ground will equal anything in the football league today.