Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford vs Charlton Ath | Sat 9th August 2014 | Match Preview and Predictions

Comments

• Options
    Great preview - don't you just LOVE the start of a new season!!

I'll go with that team, except Morro to start with Bikey with TBH on the bench.

1-1, with Johann grabbing the goal.

Allez les Rouges!!!!!!
  • Options
    Very competitive game, I will be happy with a point, 1-1.
  • Options
    A win's a win

As long as it isn't the same result as our opening match last season...
  • Options
    1-3 and a brace for Igor with Jacko scoring the other

COYR
  • Options
    London derby - so a draw
  • Options
    4-5-1 to start the season away from home and against a newly promoted side (remember Bournemouth) - Cousins in middle a must for me for first 60 minutes. See how we are then perhaps throw second striker or even just let Harriot loose up there to poach.
  • Options
    Good to have the previews back and can't wait for sat.

Similar team to Peterborough away.

Same result as Bournemouth last year. We just fall short in a 2-1 defeat.

Coyr
  • Options
    edited August 2014

The Prediction:

A 1-1 draw to start the season.

I hope we don't wear last season's kit! I hope Henderson wears a goalkeepers shirt too.

Why do I get tempted to type Anderson whenever I refer to Henderson?

My mystic ball says as it's a televised game being shown abroad...

We'll go a goal behind from a set piece in the 6th minute (standard). Goal from Tony Craig. 1-0

Vetokele will score from 27 yards out in the 18th minute 1-1 and somehow be ruled out as offside. There's a fogginess as to whether he is on or offside at the time of winning the ball.

Tucudean will get an equaliser. Deflection bouncing off of him from a Vetokele shot that was going wide. 1-1

Jackson will pop up with what we all think is the winner with 1-2 7 minutes remaining.

Brentford break and score from the kick off Odubajo top right corner. 2-2

With around 30 seconds left on the clock Gudmundsson is to have a shot paried into the path of Harriott... Don't know if he scores....that's as far as i got...

• Options
    This is the formation I expect

But fear massively.
  • Options
    (As my picure won't upload):

Henderson

Morrison
    Ben Haim
    Bikey

Gudmundsson
    Cousins
    Buyens
    Jackson
    Harriott

Tucudean
    Vetokele
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We will have too much for Brentford.

3-0 addicks win.
  • Options
    Brilliant preview - and very glad to proper have football back !

It shows how much our squad has come on that pretty much everyone agrees that Wilson wont start the game given he was (for me at least) pretty much our best player last year.

I'm always ridiculously optimistic at this time of year, so I'm going for 2-1 to us - last minute winner from Buyens.

Does anyone else have an irrational, almost pathological, dislike for McOxo ? For me he's the one man embodiment of a terrible time in our clubs history even though I'm aware that's pretty unfair.
  • Options
    2-2
  • Options
    Surely Morrison starts unless he is injured?
  • Options
    I would like to see Morrison and Cousins in the starting line up. I think we'll need the latter's energy and legs in midfield against a high tempo side who will be full of running and confidence. My feeling is that starting with both Gudmundsson and Callum Harriott may leave us light in midfield and a bit too open.

I'll be very pleased with a point, given Brentford's momentum and the fact that they only failed to win 4 at home last season. Whatever happens, it will be a great occasion, given that this is their first game back at this level for 21 years.
  • Options
    2-2 they get a late equaliser
  • Options
    At home I think we would have done 'em but this will be a test. I do think we'll be too strong from them to beat us. It's got 0-0 written all over it unless George, Igor or another mystery French forward that may or may not sign in time find their shooting boots.
  • Options
    3-0 win...
  • Options
    0-0.

Less signings start than people think. Peeters will bed them in slowly.
  • Options
    Tight little ground where officials can be swayed and we'll find out who among the new signings is suited to fixtures like this. I'm desperately hoping everything clicks but just feel they'll be too used to winning for the last couple of seasons, and a bit too savvy for some of our newcomers. Some encouraging signs of much-needed flair but 2-1 to them, possibly due in part to a dodgy decision. George's scrambled late consolation isn't quite enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

think you may have a point @SELR_addicks‌

• Options
    edited August 2014

think you may have a point @SELR_addicks‌

Hope not. Minus Poyet, Dervite and Hamer - we would have been in the crap last year big time.

We need the new players in order to put a decent team out!
  • Options
    Not that impressed by the summer of comings and goings, but this may be born out of the unknown element of our new squad. Nobody seems to agree what the best starting 11 or line up should be, but again this could also be our lack of knowledge with regard to new players.
    Lets hope Bob has a clearer vision.
    Still I fear this all adds up to a sound beating from a team right up for it, a total agree with the Bournemouth comparison. Looking forward to the day, albeit with no great expectations.
    3-1 Brentford
  • Options
    2-0 defeat. A reasonably encouraging goalless first half followed by a second half collapse, as our Foreign Fancy Dans are outfought by Brentford's British Bulldogs. This despite vociferous support throughout from the away end, marred only by a few halfwits who insist on giving dog's abuse to McOxo, leading to the former Charlton man putting in an inspired performance and capping it off with the winning goal, which he celebrates by hurling Oxo cubes at the furious Charlton supporters.

On the bright side, the mixture of terracing and seating at Griffin Park means that the inevitable arguments about the rights and wrongs of standing in seated areas are delayed until after the Brighton match, leaving Lifers free to spend the evening deciding whether to blame Duchatelet, Ventekole, Peeters, Katrien, Powell, Parky, Dowie, Seed or each other.
  • Options
    1-1 with us having the better of it. JJ with ours.
  • Options
    CANNOT BLOODY WAIT!

Somehow, jammy git that I am, managed to get myself a ticket. Got a feeling Brentford are going to go for it but our class will shine through and we'll take all 3 points in a 3-1 win.
  • Options
    I reckon we'll surprise a few people and win 3-0. We'll get an early goal, confidence will rise and players like Gudmunsson and Vetokele will start to take control. First goal will go to Gudmunsson, second to Vetokele, toward the end of the 1st half. Late third from Jackson :)

COYR
  • Options
    Am full of optimism and high expectations - the team as set out by Stubley is strong. But beware upstarts newly promoted: I'm old enough to remember Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park. We'll win at Brentford, 2-1.
  • Options
    Brentford fans leave the ground, "this lot were sh*t last year, so we really are in for a hard season in the Championship", post a 1-3 defeat to the rip roaring goal scoring Addicks. Closer than all that, but Vetokele's pace undoes them twice and Moussa kills the game late on... We all start wetting our pants about promotion - everybody stay calm......