Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Delort hype

edited August 2014 in General Charlton
I really don't understand the absolute buzz around this guy, I get that he, like all our signings, could potentially be wonderful but people seem to be going absolutely mad about the prospect of signing him. To be fair this isn't just our fans, Leeds fans seem to be going crazy on twitter too. Three days ago I had never heard of him and I'd bet a decent amount of our fanbase had never heard of him either. I don't understand what he has done to deserve this, maybe it's just me I guess.

Comments

• Options
    He looks to have incredible technical ability, is lightning fast, knows where the goal is and has that arrogant swagger that a good striker needs. And he seems to be rated by a lot of teams. The true question is, why wouldn't you be excited.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

The true question is, why wouldn't you be excited.

Cos he'll end up signing for a championship rival?
  • Options
    Everyone's excited at the thought of us actually paying 3m for a player
  • Options

Chunes said:

The true question is, why wouldn't you be excited.

Cos he'll end up signing for a championship rival?
    That wasn't the point of the OP
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He looks to have incredible technical ability, is lightning fast, knows where the goal is and has that arrogant swagger that a good striker needs. And he seems to be rated by a lot of teams. The true question is, why wouldn't you be excited.

Based on YouTube?
  • Options

Chunes said:

Based on YouTube?
    Based on his stats too... 24-Goals in 36-Appearances!!

Thats better than what Ross McCormack / Jordan Rhodes / Sam Baldock all managed last season
  • Options
    Way over the top..............but has he signed yet , really hope this goes through F5 day again.
  • Options
    The only hype about him is the number of threads on here on the subject.
  • Options

Chunes said:

Based on YouTube?

Thats better than what Ross McCormack / Jordan Rhodes / Sam Baldock all managed last season
    So which Championship team did he score these 24 goals for last season ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Delort Believe The Hype
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Chunes said:

Based on YouTube?

Could say the same bout Diego Costa for Chelsea though...

Take a look at his stats on Wikipedia... He's had one good season with Atletico Madrid and now regarded as a class Striker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Costa#Club_2

Same could be said for Franck Ribery... When he was around the same age as Delort he was playing for Olympique Alès and Stade Brestois 29 (Who where the equivalent of an English League One team) before being snapped up by Metz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck_Ribéry
  • Options

Chunes said:

Based on YouTube?

There is some serious over-hyping of the championship going on here. Do people really think players like Adam Le Fondre, Ross McCormack etc (who people here would be fainting with excitement over) are top names on the continent?! They are not world class talents, and are in reality ok players who are performing in a bog standard league.

If Delort turned out to be an ok player who can perform in a bog standard league that would be just fine by me.
    Also just look @ Britt Assombalonga... scored... 23 League Goals in 43-Appearances in League One last season and he's off to Nottingham Forest for £5.5m (Who has never scored in the Championship either)
  • Options
    this saga seems to be dragging on! Whenever its like this we rarely ever get the player in the end. Hope I'm wrong!

At least its for real...... Even the guy in the club shop said Delort had been around the club the last couple of days
  • Options
    Our strikers couldnt score last year

Igor looks like he can score

Delort looks like he can score

2 goal scorers can be the difference between any of relegated/stay up/top half/playoffs

Fact

We had to watch some real shite last year so like a man desparate for a drink even the tiniest drop of water is worth getting excited about.
  • Options

A lot of people on here and elsewhere have fallen for agent-driven hype.

If he signs for us (which I doubt) then fine, and lets hope he can deliver. There is no way however that RD is going to sanction the type of money being talked about in the media. And quite right too.

Stop and ask yourself two things

1. We can now find at least 14 clubs linked to him this window. Even in this hysterical bubble, that is a lot. Yet not one are established French First Division clubs. Doesn't that strike you as a bit odd?

2. Does anyone remember another striker whom no one had heard of who had been banging in the goals in a European 2nd division, and big name clubs are after him...Benfica, Villa, West Ham... but we "swooped" and got him from under their noses. I am damn sure RD does and he aint gonna get fooled again.

I believe Montpellier have been linked with him and there are an established French first division club
  • Options

If he signs for us (which I doubt) then fine, and lets hope he can deliver. There is no way however that RD is going to sanction the type of money being talked about in the media. And quite right too.

1. We can now find at least 14 clubs linked to him this window. Even in this hysterical bubble, that is a lot. Yet not one are established French First Division clubs. Doesn't that strike you as a bit odd?

2. Does anyone remember another striker whom no one had heard of who had been banging in the goals in a European 2nd division, and big name clubs are after him...Benfica, Villa, West Ham... but we "swooped" and got him from under their noses. I am damn sure RD does and he aint gonna get fooled again.

That's why I'm not getting excited this time. If we sign him great. I'll give him a chance just like any other player and fingers crossed he can bring his form to the champ. But I remember enjoying pistol petes you tube video and seeing all them goals fly in. Means nothing.

Still, it's not going to stop me posting them excited/gutted gifs :D
  • Options

Chunes said:

Based on YouTube?

Take a look at his stats on Wikipedia... He's had one good season with Atletico Madrid and now regarded as a class Striker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Costa#Club_2
    20 goals in 45 games and 36 goals in 55 games, that's 2 seasons... the season before 16 games 10 goals. Before that he was relatively quiet.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A certain Oliver Giroud scored alot of goals in Ligue 2 and it was for Tours FC as well
  • Options

Chunes said:

Based on YouTube?

There is some serious over-hyping of the championship going on here. Do people really think players like Adam Le Fondre, Ross McCormack etc (who people here would be fainting with excitement over) are top names on the continent?! They are not world class talents, and are in reality ok players who are performing in a bog standard league.

If Delort turned out to be an ok player who can perform in a bog standard league that would be just fine by me.
    I am not over hyping Championship players. Delort was being compared and I simply asked the question because how can you compare Delort against Championship players if he hasn't played in the Championship.

I have no idea how good the league he has played in is. He might be better than those mentioned but till I see him in the Championship or Premiership I'll ignore the hype.

Sordell was hyped up last season and we can go back to the likes of McCloud and the Utube factor.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Chunes said:

Based on YouTube?

20 goals in 45 games and 36 goals in 55 games, that's 2 seasons... the season before 16 games 10 goals. Before that he was relatively quiet.

And before last season he was playing 2nd favourite as Falcao was Madrid's number 1 striker
  • Options

Chunes said:

Based on YouTube?

Same could be said for Franck Ribery... When he was around the same age as Delort he was playing for Olympique Alès and Stade Brestois 29 (Who where the equivalent of an English League One team) before being snapped up by Metz - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck_Ribéry
    You might be right but, if he is as good as you are suggesting (Ribery etc) then wouldn't Premiership clubs be in for him.
  • Options
    p.s

Ligue 2 is a fair bit worse than the Championship, which is a fair bit better than League One.

However the championship is a bit worse than Ligue 1 which is a bit worse than the Premier League.

So we're getting a mid championship striker if we're lucky and do sign him and knowing our luck even if we do win the race to sign him, he won't cut it.

:o)
  • Options

Who are you referring to?
  • Options

I believe Montpellier have been linked with him and there are an established French first division club
    Do you have a source for Montpelier? Not one of the 14 we have collectively found up to now. It is close to his home town, and you know how fans dream up such connections.

The only two so far named are Rennes and Lens, both promoted. And Lens actually can't sign anyone because of a breach of financial regulations.

I'm not saying the Ligue 1 guys don't rate him. However I would guess that they think the price is ridiculous.
  • Options
    About 4 games in we will either be claiming he is the worst player we have ever seen or he is about to go to Barcelona.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Who are you referring to?
    Petey.
  • Options

Chunes said:

Based on YouTube?

You might be right but, if he is as good as you are suggesting (Ribery etc) then wouldn't Premiership clubs be in for him.
    Southampton and Leicester were both linked with Delort before we came along