Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Delort hype

Comments

• Options
    Jaddick said:

The fact this guy hasn't played in England is irrelevant. At the end of the day natural goalscorers are few and far between and cost an absolute fortune.

This guy has proven he can score, not just with the quantity but the quality of goals too, and it's well worth the risk. If we can score 15 goals in this league next season he's already increased in value. The amount of ridiculous fees for players who've done quite well in the championship is stupid. Dwight Gale ended up going for 5m+3m addons after less than six months of ok scoring, McCormack just went for 11m and Assombalonga scored just over 1 goal every other game in league 1 and goes for 5.5m.

No guarantees but Delort is easy worth the gamble. We're not going to find a proven championship goal scorer for under 5m, and certainly won't be finding one who is top-tier and capable of scoring in the premier league for under 10m, so people should stop complaining that he's not from England. It's a risk but obviously a few people in the club think he has the ability to be a proven championship goal scorer and can possibly step up a level, which is worth gambling on based on the going rate for anyone who can score 20 in this league.

Maybe I have missed it, but I don't think that people are saying that. After all they are not saying that about Vetokele.

Also, unless you have an inside track I am not aware of anyone in the club indicating any opinion at all about him. That's the main thing. This is all coming from his agent.

Anyway there is a press conference with Bob Peeters coming up now. Lets see what he says, he is bound to be asked. Hopefully it will put an end to one of the most ridiculous player related discussions I can remember.

• Options
    It's not gonna happen folks.

Charlton Athletic FC @CAFCofficial · 2m

BP on Andy Delort: He is a player who has been on our radar but I cannot talk about players who are not ours #cafc

• Options

BP on Andy Delort: He is a player who has been on our radar but I cannot talk about players who are not ours #cafc

That is the classic line used by a manager whose club is locked in discussions with another over a player. If it wasnt going to happen, then he would say so.
    This
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Where have you got that from? It doesn't say

He is a player who has been on our radar but I cannot talk about players who are not ours #cafc in fact if they're not already ours I don't want to sign them at all.

It doesn't say we're not trying still. It just says he aint ours yet.
  • Options
  • Options

A certain Oliver Giroud scored alot of goals in Ligue 2 and it was for Tours FC as well

Ye, imagine if we were signing him, nightmare.

You're right, lets pull out of the deal.
  • Options
    Up-to-dates on the CAFCWall, except nothing has happened for the last 10 minutes
  • Options

Jaddick said:

The fact this guy hasn't played in England is irrelevant. At the end of the day natural goalscorers are few and far between and cost an absolute fortune.

This guy has proven he can score, not just with the quantity but the quality of goals too, and it's well worth the risk. If we can score 15 goals in this league next season he's already increased in value. The amount of ridiculous fees for players who've done quite well in the championship is stupid. Dwight Gale ended up going for 5m+3m addons after less than six months of ok scoring, McCormack just went for 11m and Assombalonga scored just over 1 goal every other game in league 1 and goes for 5.5m.

No guarantees but Delort is easy worth the gamble. We're not going to find a proven championship goal scorer for under 5m, and certainly won't be finding one who is top-tier and capable of scoring in the premier league for under 10m, so people should stop complaining that he's not from England. It's a risk but obviously a few people in the club think he has the ability to be a proven championship goal scorer and can possibly step up a level, which is worth gambling on based on the going rate for anyone who can score 20 in this league.

Maybe I have missed it, but I don't think that people are saying that. After all they are not saying that about Vetokele.

Also, unless you have an inside track I am not aware of anyone in the club indicating any opinion at all about him. That's the main thing. This is all coming from his agent.

Anyway there is a press conference with Bob Peeters coming up now. Lets see what he says, he is bound to be asked. Hopefully it will put an end to one of the most ridiculous player related discussions I can remember.

Well you only have to scroll down the first page to see people dismissing his ability because he hasn't played in the championship.

BP just said he's been on our radar so clearly there is some interest and I really doubt that it's all from his agent. He's not going to pick a random club in the championship and just start retweeting their fans, following the club etc., there's obviously been some contact between us and Tours, successful or not.

All I'm saying is if people are going to be disappointed we're signing foreign unknowns w/ good goal scoring records for a fraction of the price of the English equivalent rather than the Ross McCormacks and Charlie Austins of the league you're going to continue to be disappointed and need to shape up.

Every player has to start somewhere and there's a lot of world class strikers in the world today who played in leagues and had records equivalent or worse to Delort (obviously not saying he could be world class).
  • Options

BP: Reza has gone to Kuwait so we might need another striker. The number 9 shirt is still available so we might bring in a number 9
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jaddick said:

Jaddick said:

Well you only have to scroll down the first page to see people dismissing his ability because he hasn't played in the championship.

BP just said he's been on our radar so clearly there is some interest and I really doubt that it's all from his agent. He's not going to pick a random club in the championship and just start retweeting their fans, following the club etc., there's obviously been some contact between us and Tours, successful or not.

All I'm saying is if people are going to be disappointed we're signing foreign unknowns w/ good goal scoring records for a fraction of the price of the English equivalent rather than the Ross McCormacks and Charlie Austins of the league you're going to continue to be disappointed and need to shape up.

Every player has to start somewhere and there's a lot of world class strikers in the world today who played in leagues and had records equivalent or worse to Delort (obviously not saying he could be world class).
    @jaddick.

Well I'm all for getting better value by shopping on the Continent. Always have been. British footballers are over-priced. Thats why I'm excited about Vetokele.

Being "on our radar" means sod all.Bob peeters isn't stupid at this game, clearly.

As for Mr Delort's tweets.. or tweets purported to be written by him...he does an awful lot of tweeting to fans. Are you aware that he tweeted Lens fans, telling them that he was really sorry he wasn't coming there, and that 'he will play for them one day'? I've been unable to determine what in his playing history or anything else would attach him to Lens. He comes from the other end of France, a different planet culturally. Furthermore he was never going to Lens because Lens are barred from buying anyone currently. It's just another aspect of the bizarre bubble around this player. Although, if you ask himself whether he might have delegated his Twitter account to his agent (which happens quite a lot in the world of "PR"), it all becomes a bit clearer.

• Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about all the noise. This is the biggest deal of his career to date and maybe his whole career...and sets him up for life perhaps. Clearly someone in the set up doesn't know how to close a deal else he would be off the market by now.
    Let us have faith in Bob Peeter's radar which appears to be a lot more sophisticated than anything seen at the Valley in the last seven seasons.
  • Options

I wouldn't worry too much about all the noise. This is the biggest deal of his career to date and maybe his whole career...and sets him up for life perhaps. Clearly someone in the set up doesn't know how to close a deal else he would be off the market by now.
    Let us have faith in Bob Peeter's radar which appears to be a lot more sophisticated than anything seen at the Valley in the last seven seasons.

10 quid says you don't
  • Options

10 quid says you don't
    £1000 says you sign nobody exciting or do anything credible this season
  • Options

10 quid says you don't
    Seriously, get a life.
  • Options
    Peeters wasn't giving much away but didn't exactly deny Charlton were interested. Story here.

http://bit.ly/1koWU61

• Options

Clearly some money to spend means you can afford a more sophisticated radar. I think the coming season will be eventful and very interesting.

Whilst I have moved on (twice) from the start of last season, I have to say I'd find it interesting to know how CP and JR might have used the same budget that BP has been given. That is not an invitation to divert this thread along that topic of conversation - just me asking a question out loud!!

• Options

10 quid says you don't
    We are on the verge of signing Stevie May, you okay with paypal?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

10 quid says you don't
    Nice to know you're reinvesting that money from selling your best player.

Mediocrity beckons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014

Clearly some money to spend means you can afford a more sophisticated radar. I think the coming season will be eventful and very interesting.

Whilst I have moved on (twice) from the start of last season, I have to say I'd find it interesting to know how CP and JR might have used the same budget that BP has been given. That is not an invitation to divert this thread along that topic of conversation - just me asking a question out loud!!

SCP would have got quality players but less for our money imo, as im sure he would have prefered "experienced" British players, which is obviously a bonus if you believe we play a different game in this country but a slight negative if like me you believe it is hard to get value for money with British players.

Riga would have seen some similar signings as we already have minus Vetokele, who i believe the connection with Bob helped out a lot.

Either way the money on offer this summer would hopefully see most of us happy whoever the money was being spent by.

Im certainly excited for the coming season watching our foundation players, young guns ;-) and some foreign talent mix in for a hopefully pleasing on the eye attacking football for the first time in many seasons at the Valley.
  • Options

10 quid says you don't
    Fortunately our season doesn't hang on whether we sign this particular player or not. It's clear with Reza going on loan and Church moving to 18 that we are looking to sign a striker this month. Permanent is our preferred option as we want to develop our assets but if not then we will take a loan from the Premier league in September.
    At that point you will know your tenner from the other bet is coming my way...and the bookies will have reset their odds.
  • Options

10 quid says you don't
    For those who don't know who he is, this is from Wikipedia...

Steven "Stevie" May (born 3 November 1992) is a Scottish professional footballer who plays for Scottish Premiership side St. Johnstone. May has previously spent time at Alloa Athletic and Hamilton Academical on loan. On Thursday the 7th August 2014 a delusional Wednesday fan changed this to say that he had signed for them for £800000. This is total rubbish and he is still a St Johnstone player.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He looks to have incredible technical ability, is lightning fast, knows where the goal is and has that arrogant swagger that a good striker needs. And he seems to be rated by a lot of teams. The true question is, why wouldn't you be excited.

Chris Dickson
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Chunes said:

He looks to have incredible technical ability, is lightning fast, knows where the goal is and has that arrogant swagger that a good striker needs. And he seems to be rated by a lot of teams. The true question is, why wouldn't you be excited.

Chris Dickson
    Chris Dickson was only scoring goals against Ryman League teams!
  • Options

10 quid says you don't
    Weren't you on the verge of a takeover? How's that going?
  • Options
    Talal said:

10 quid says you don't
    Weren't you on the verge of a takeover? How's that going?
    Done to death mate, move on...

• Options

Yeah which idiot bought in the likes of Kermorgant, Wiggins, Morrison, Hamer, Stephens, Dervite, Wislon & blooded Cousins, Harriot, Poyet etc etc

In any case this is a ridiculous statement to be making about largely unproven players at this level - come back in 6 months and tell us all about how sophisticated Peeter's "radar" is & we will listen.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Oakster said:

Yeah which idiot bought in the likes of Kermorgant, Wiggins, Morrison, Hamer, Stephens, Dervite, Wislon & blooded Cousins, Harriot, Poyet etc etc

In any case this is a ridiculous statement to be making about largely unproven players at this level - come back in 6 months and tell us all about how sophisticated Peeter's "radar" is & we will listen.

I read this comment as you instantly jumping to the defence of CP, and such protectiveness of him is rather boring now.

Seriously Red, as I read it, was merely suggesting that the radar as Peeters puts it (scouting network to you and I), now reaches much further afield and so opens up the opportunity to find potentially better/cheaper Kermorgants, Wiggins, Morrisons, Hamers, Stephens, Dervites and Wilsons - along with blooding in Gomez, Lennon etc