Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Delort hype

124»

Comments

• Options

Oakster said:

I wouldn't worry too much about all the noise. This is the biggest deal of his career to date and maybe his whole career...and sets him up for life perhaps. Clearly someone in the set up doesn't know how to close a deal else he would be off the market by now.
    Let us have faith in Bob Peeter's radar which appears to be a lot more sophisticated than anything seen at the Valley in the last seven seasons.

Yeah which idiot bought in the likes of Kermorgant, Wiggins, Morrison, Hamer, Stephens, Dervite, Wislon & blooded Cousins, Harriot, Poyet etc etc

In any case this is a ridiculous statement to be making about largely unproven players at this level - come back in 6 months and tell us all about how sophisticated Peeter's "radar" is & we will listen.

I read this comment as you instantly jumping to the defence of CP, and such protectiveness of him is rather boring now.

Seriously Red, as I read it, was merely suggesting that the radar as Peeters puts it (scouting network to you and I), now reaches much further afield and so opens up the opportunity to find potentially better/cheaper Kermorgants, Wiggins, Morrisons, Hamers, Stephens, Dervites and Wilsons - along with blooding in Gomez, Lennon etc
    I will talk about whatever I want - if it's boring to you don't read it....

• Options
    Oakster said:

I wouldn't worry too much about all the noise. This is the biggest deal of his career to date and maybe his whole career...and sets him up for life perhaps. Clearly someone in the set up doesn't know how to close a deal else he would be off the market by now.
    Let us have faith in Bob Peeter's radar which appears to be a lot more sophisticated than anything seen at the Valley in the last seven seasons.

Yeah which idiot bought in the likes of Kermorgant, Wiggins, Morrison, Hamer, Stephens, Dervite, Wislon & blooded Cousins, Harriot, Poyet etc etc

In any case this is a ridiculous statement to be making about largely unproven players at this level - come back in 6 months and tell us all about how sophisticated Peeter's "radar" is & we will listen.

Cousins, Harriott, Poyet (and Wilson) came through the academy... Nothing changes there, nothing to do with signing players. It won't take six months, just take a look at performances and the table by end September.
    Far from being unproven, Vetokele, Buyens and Gudmundsson have played for top clubs in the top division in Denmark, Belgium and Netherlands as well as playing in European competition.
    Either you are talking up the Pardew model of spending millions on league 1/2 players or you think Duchatelet is going to splash out £5m on established Championship strikers? The test will be when we play Brighton(end August) and Bournemouth and we can all see what our squad looks like.
    If you are saying that foreign players can't cope in the Championship then you need to wake up to the fact that over half the 650 players are not English.
    So nothing is "ridiculous" in what I've stated. CAFC is not just signing the odd high value player...it is engaged in the systematic recruitment of u24 players valued c.€2m on long term deals. If you want to see what it all looks like after two years just take a look at Liège - they've just sold players for €5m while moving forwards in Europe with five academy players and six young players signed from wherever.
    The players you mention all served CAFC well before they left but they simply weren't good enough to get us into the top six. We all supported them at the time sure but the football and results delivered by that squad 2011-13 was survival stuff.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Oakster said:

I read this comment as you instantly jumping to the defence of CP, and such protectiveness of him is rather boring now.

Seriously Red, as I read it, was merely suggesting that the radar as Peeters puts it (scouting network to you and I), now reaches much further afield and so opens up the opportunity to find potentially better/cheaper Kermorgants, Wiggins, Morrisons, Hamers, Stephens, Dervites and Wilsons - along with blooding in Gomez, Lennon etc
    I will talk about whatever I want - if it's boring to you don't read it....

As is your right.

No thoughts on the counter argument though? Hmmm

• Options

Oakster said:

Cousins, Harriott, Poyet (and Wilson) came through the academy... Nothing changes there, nothing to do with signing players. It won't take six months, just take a look at performances and the table by end September.
    Far from being unproven, Vetokele, Buyens and Gudmundsson have played for top clubs in the top division in Denmark, Belgium and Netherlands as well as playing in European competition.
    Either you are talking up the Pardew model of spending millions on league 1/2 players or you think Duchatelet is going to splash out £5m on established Championship strikers? The test will be when we play Brighton(end August) and Bournemouth and we can all see what our squad looks like.
    If you are saying that foreign players can't cope in the Championship then you need to wake up to the fact that over half the 650 players are not English.
    So nothing is "ridiculous" in what I've stated. CAFC is not just signing the odd high value player...it is engaged in the systematic recruitment of u24 players valued c.€2m on long term deals. If you want to see what it all looks like after two years just take a look at Liège - they've just sold players for €5m while moving forwards in Europe with five academy players and six young players signed from wherever.
    The players you mention all served CAFC well before they left but they simply weren't good enough to get us into the top six. We all supported them at the time sure but the football and results delivered by that squad 2011-13 was survival stuff.
    I would also argue that based on England's performance at the WC, these countries produce better players technically. I am pleased with our academy prospects and the ones that have broken through, but if you look at some of the prices that are attached to English players in general, commercially it won't work. I reckon we've got some real decent additions in, who, given time will make an impact. The fact they are young also means if they work out we will have re-sale value.

And going back to the original quote, yes the network has given us more prospects that we may not have had before, re: scouting and connections.

• Options

10 quid says you don't
    £1000 says you sign nobody exciting or do anything credible this season
    We are on the verge of signing Stevie May, you okay with paypal?
    Piggy, even I'd look good playing for St Johnstone and I only scored 10 goals for my 5-a-side team last year
  • Options

Oakster said:

Cousins, Harriott, Poyet (and Wilson) came through the academy... Nothing changes there, nothing to do with signing players. It won't take six months, just take a look at performances and the table by end September. Far from being unproven, Vetokele, Buyens and Gudmundsson have played for top clubs in the top division in Denmark, Belgium and Netherlands as well as playing in European competition.
    They landed us in 9th place, 3 points off 6th - if we had averaged just 0.0869 points per game more (as I know you like a good statistic) we would have been 6th. This after a 100+ points in the previous season.

BP has the luxury of a better radar, a hugely increased budget, (for now) a benign relationship with Dutchatalet (and hopefully no interference in tactics/team selection etc) & last but not least a decent pitch to play the games on. He bloody well better deliver better results than CP did.

I don't need to wake up to anything by the way - although reading most of the essays you write about business models, long term plans, statistical correlations & systematic methodologies of recruitment sure do send me to sleep ;-)

• Options
    Granted we finished 9th and I remember both losses vs Palace that season which could easily have been draws. But that team had some shockers and the football was not good on many occasions. And the same squad less fuller and Haynes but with Sordell (who I rated at the end) and Cousins struggled all season until Riga took over.
    Those players and that management team have moved on and I would suggest that only Poyet and perhaps Kermorgant would make a difference to what we have right now.
    It's a good point about budgets and I agree in that I want a top half finish and decent football out of all this. Two things: we are running with a much smaller squad saving a few quid and these players are on long term deals meaning we might sell one or two over the years or we have a real crack at the play-offs in 2015-16. It's up to the coach to build a team AND develop talent throughout the squad.

Every season I reckon the earliest one can read things is after 10 games...but the first four or five will help us all get an idea as to whether this is a train crash, a new sports car or a work in progress. I'm being rash by ruling out the first option but we can judge for ourselves on Saturday.
  • Options

Oakster said:

You find someone providing a bit of balance boring? Okay.
  • Options
    Tend to ignore OP to be honest. Baffles me why he is on here. The Massives really do look upto this don't they.?

Does anyone on here, register and post on another teams Forum?
  • Options
    Leeds delusional scum sayin we are not worthy to sign this French white elephant.

Their new manager was working at Wickes a few years back weren't he?