Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What do you believe in? ie, Religion? Atheism?

Comments

• Options

Science isn't in the business of answering pointless questions though.

What is the colour of happiness? - Pointless question

What is the sexuality of an oil rig? - Pointless question

What is the purpose of life? - Pointless question

Why do we fall in love? - Pointless question

Are palace a bunch of wankers? - pointless question
  • Options
    edited August 2014

“WHEN religion is not encouraging strife it is acting as a drug which numbs the human conscience and fills the human brain with escapist fantasies. . . . [It] causes human beings to be narrow, superstitious, full of hatred and fear.” The former Methodist missionary who wrote that added: “These charges are true. There is bad and good religion"

Long live Richard Dawkins - give me something tangible any day!

Each to their own and I totally respect and am fully tolerant of individual views and beliefs (maybe I am jealous that I have no faith or religious belief). But when you look at the majority of conflict in the world you can map its foundations back to religion and the intolerance of diversity. In my book, if there is such a good and great all encompassing being (in whatever religious form you choose/believe), he/she really need to have a word with themselves for allowing the world to get into such a state!

All in my opinion of course, but anyone basing their views/beliefs on the fantasy writings of historical literature that are unfounded (not tangible) are living in cloud cuckoo land. Or conversely, maybe I am for not having religious views or beliefs?

My original post has been endorsed by the great Fanny! My life is complete!!! ;-)

• Options
    Hmm, interesting topic this.

Good luck to those of you that do believe and get some comfort from religion but its not for me.

My ex-in-laws are heavily involved in their local church and although my ex-wife isnt very religious, my 8yo daughter was introduced to church at an early age. First it was the annual Christingle service then Easter but now she sings in the church choir and as part of being involved in the choir, they need to sing in some of the services which means she attends one Sunday in every four. I have to say I was not very happy about it at first and tbh, I'm still uncomfortable with it now as I'm a firm believer that kids should be able to make up their own minds about stuff like that when they're older but when it comes up in conversation, I make it very clear that I'm a total non-believer in the whole nativity scenario. Oh come on, who the hell knocked up Mary the Virgin? Its like something that would only happen on Jeremy Kyle.

Call me insolent but the whole thing reeks of someone who's been smoking a shed load of weed.
  • Options
    I have no religious thought in me - largely because I can't see beyond the simple facts surrounding evolution
  • Options
    Agnostic. Perfectly willing to accept the existence of a 'God' of some description. Like to see some evidence of it first though. And yes, I'm aware that's a contradiction in terms because 'faith' requires no proof.

I do believe that organised religion is bollocks, however. It's an outmoded, outdated concept that's no longer relevant today.
  • Options
    E
  • Options
    E
  • Options
    A bit of A, D and F for me.

Although I was Christened and celebrate Christmas, I never attended a Church service on a Sunday with my parents. Which I am thankful for as no religion was ever forced upon me and also I'm thankful I was never sent to a religous school. I do loosely consider myself Christian still but I do sometimes think if i was born somewhere else say the US or Lebanon, I could easily be Jewish or Muslim and still have faith in them exactly the same amount as I do in Christianity, as nothing has acually happened in my life (apart from where I was born and to whom) which have effected my choice of religoin. So I think it's safe to say I am pretty disengaged with my own religous beliefs.

Having said that I'm asboloutely fascinated by all religion, the stories, the festivals, the teaching and the architecture. Particularly the Abrahamic religions. There is so much of religion to discover and that a person can learn from it which doesn't include believing in any spiritual being and just following its teachings on how to be a good human being. It really does amaze me and anger me how people some people can be so ignorant, stupid and offensive to just dismiss it.

The obvious downside is people do stupid things in the name of religion and in this day and age maybe the world would be a better place without religion, maybe not. However we certainly wouldn't be here today without it. We may indeed still be here but our idea of civilization may be completely different, it may be better, it may be worse, we'll never know.

• Options
    BA GUM?
  • Options

The Christian response to the suffering in the world varies, I too studied philosophy at degreeth level and at the time thought the whole "if God is all knowing and all powerful then he can't be all good, if he is all good and all powerful then he isn't all powerful and if he is all powerful and all good then he must not be all knowing" was absolute spot on. However now I see things differently, I believe that we as a universe are left to our own devices, he doesn't make us rich or give us good health but gives us the strength to fight illness and the tools for wealth, he doesn't stop natural disasters and lets nature run is course but helps us and guides us through it. I don't think God caused the slaying of innocent children in the war, he would have been there for them after death and kept their souls safe, he would have given the parents strength to carry on and hope in the faith that there is life after death and so on. I will stop here because I don't really want to preach on CL, just that for every theory and opinion there will be an opposing one.

Sadie, I totally respect your views and this is a great post. But please forgive me and I don't wish this to be construed as insulting, but the area I have emboldened highlights what I believe is just a religious cop out! If this 'god' character was so great and so loving and so peaceful, I just don't believe that he/she/it would sit back and let all that you allude to happen! That's why I just don't get it and as long as we continue to have no evidential confirmation my stance won't change. If he/she/it does exist then I would suggest that he/she/it isn't as great and peaceful and loving as followers believe and has a pretty unsavoury sense of humour (as articulated by Depeche Mode in the song Blasphemous Rumours).

Totally admire and respect your views though. Your posts re this subject are well balanced and justifiably passionate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    C. I don't believe in atheism.
  • Options
    I find it interesting about the many forms of Christianity in the states. I mean how they perceive god...and how there appears to be a wide range of cults.

I always thought South Park (cartoon comedy) do good thoughtful episodes surrounding religion.

Mormonism...now that's a different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

On a scenario basis, of course:

A) I believe in Christianity as I was brought up this way, (Catholic or Protestant).

B) I have another religion. For example, a Buddist.

Is B) someone who follows the religion of dope?

• Options
    Dave2l said:

I find it interesting about the many forms of Christianity in the states. I mean how they perceive god...and how there appears to be a wide range of cults.

I always thought South Park (cartoon comedy) do good thoughtful episodes surrounding religion.

Mormonism...now that's a different kettle of fish.

Why? Mormonism is just as irrational as every other cult/religion
  • Options

The Christian response to the suffering in the world varies, I too studied philosophy at degreeth level and at the time thought the whole "if God is all knowing and all powerful then he can't be all good, if he is all good and all powerful then he isn't all powerful and if he is all powerful and all good then he must not be all knowing" was absolute spot on. However now I see things differently, I believe that we as a universe are left to our own devices, he doesn't make us rich or give us good health but gives us the strength to fight illness and the tools for wealth, he doesn't stop natural disasters and lets nature run is course but helps us and guides us through it. I don't think God caused the slaying of innocent children in the war, he would have been there for them after death and kept their souls safe, he would have given the parents strength to carry on and hope in the faith that there is life after death and so on. I will stop here because I don't really want to preach on CL, just that for every theory and opinion there will be an opposing one.

Sadie, I totally respect your views and this is a great post. But please forgive me and I don't wish this to be construed as insulting, but the area I have emboldened highlights what I believe is just a religious cop out! If this 'god' character was so great and so loving and so peaceful, I just don't believe that he/she/it would sit back and let all that you allude to happen! That's why I just don't get it and as long as we continue to have no evidential confirmation my stance won't change. If he/she/it does exist then I would suggest that he/she/it isn't as great and peaceful and loving as followers believe and has a pretty unsavoury sense of humour (as articulated by Depeche Mode in the song Blasphemous Rumours).

Totally admire and respect your views though. Your posts re this subject are well balanced and justifiably passionate.
    I can completely see how it looks like a cop out but as has been mentioned earlier, we do not have all the answers as we cannot fathom some of the mysteries of the world. I believe in God but honestly can't give you an answer that I know will satisfy you about suffering in the world. I just know that I have experienced God in my life (sorry if that sounds wishy washy) in a real, life changing way and try to find answers to things just like the rest of us. I don't have the mental capacity to be able to understand God's thoughts. All I know is that I believe that we've chosen to go our own way and God will allow bad things to happen, but that God is ultimately completely loving and none of the suffering in this brief, momentary existence will compare to the richness in store for us in eternity.
  • Options

Agnostic. Perfectly willing to accept the existence of a 'God' of some description. Like to see some evidence of it first though. And yes, I'm aware that's a contradiction in terms because 'faith' requires no proof.

I do believe that organised religion is bollocks, however. It's an outmoded, outdated concept that's no longer relevant today.

Summed up my feelings perfectly
  • Options
    There are fairies at the bottom of my garden.
  • Options

Thank you I appreciate it.

I actually really do understand the atheist views as I used to have them, I also don't expect those non-believers to understand how or why we believe, it's something that is hard to explain and just hits you, suddenly it just makes sense, my life changed for the better when I found God, that is a fact. But to the intelligent atheist mind it's completely non-sensical, I understand that all I can say to people is we believe what we want to but I opened my mind once and it hit me. Some will understand, some won't, I am happy with my life and my choices and confident in my own beliefs, so much so that nobody else's beliefs bother me. As I said diversity is an amazing thing and shouldn't be frowned upon.
  • Options

There are fairies at the bottom of my garden.

There are drunkards at the bottom of mine.
  • Options
    One God, Christopher Hitchens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot of the time, Hitch was as much of a prick as the religious zealots. Very clever man, but so up his own arsehole he could lick his own oesophagus
  • Options
    Hmm. He did have a certain amount of flexibility in that arena.
  • Options
    Brought up with Sunday school for social side but not church. Atheist by 13. Hate the way religion is rammed down kids throats before old enough to make ab informed decision.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

“WHEN religion is not encouraging strife it is acting as a drug which numbs the human conscience and fills the human brain with escapist fantasies. . . . [It] causes human beings to be narrow, superstitious, full of hatred and fear.” The former Methodist missionary who wrote that added: “These charges are true. There is bad and good religion"

Long live Richard Dawkins - give me something tangible any day!

Each to their own and I totally respect and am fully tolerant of individual views and beliefs (maybe I am jealous that I have no faith or religious belief). But when you look at the majority of conflict in the world you can map its foundations back to religion and the intolerance of diversity. In my book, if there is such a good and great all encompassing being (in whatever religious form you choose/believe), he/she really need to have a word with themselves for allowing the world to get into such a state!

All in my opinion of course, but anyone basing their views/beliefs on the fantasy writings of historical literature that are unfounded (not tangible) are living in cloud cuckoo land. Or conversely, maybe I am for not having religious views or beliefs?

My original post has been endorsed by the great Fanny! My life is complete!!! ;-)

My pleasure, bazza.

Credit where it's due.

So many Lifers have posted what I want to say but in this instance, I don't seem to have the words unlike yourself.

One of the first things I remember Mr F saying when we first met was that there would be no wars, if there was no religion.

Mind you, we've been fighting ever since - for the last 44 years ...

:-)

• Options
    Leroy sums it up for me, but I really don't care. Too much shit happens to good people while absolute a***holes seem to thrive. Just crack on with my own life and don't give a damn what others do with theirs.

If believing in something helps them and guides them through, good luck to them. In a way I'm envious of that as I could probably do with it at times if I was being perfectly honest.

While it's not my bag, you cannot meet a nicer set of people than the church people I've come across in the last few years. Incredibly giving people.
  • Options
    As an Atheist I am still open to being converted to one of these religions allowing multiple wives. Given sufficient dowries of course.
  • Options
    I am a Christian, but one who believes that evolution is a fact and that Christianity does not have secret access to all wisdom. Every religion (including atheism, which, as opposed to agnosticism is also a form of faith) has something to teach us about ourselves and where we have come from.
  • Options

Leroy sums it up for me, but I really don't care. Too much shit happens to good people while absolute a***holes seem to thrive. Just crack on with my own life and don't give a damn what others do with theirs.

While it's not my bag, you cannot meet a nicer set of people than the church people I've come across in the last few years. Incredibly giving people.

That was what appealed to me as an 18 year old walking into my church for the first time. Jesus said that people would know his church by the love they had and I saw that in an amazing way. For some people it's nice to just witness, but I was intrigued by this group of people who had so much love to give with no agenda. They didn't try to convert me but just loved. People who anonymously gave me money and food when I was broke. Community is really important and I found it there. Thankfully I also find it on this forum. The diversity of the people on this forum is probably wider than we realise and I get a real sense of community here.