Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ferguson

Comments

• Options
    Do you have a link to the report? Pretty sure that can't be right. I've seen the militarisation of police around the world but almost certain no militaries have lethal robots yet (UAVs not included) so be amazed if the police have. The capability exists but the US even realised this was going to be tough to get right.
  • Options

Do you have a link to the report? Pretty sure that can't be right. I've seen the militarisation of police around the world but almost certain no militaries have lethal robots yet (UAVs not included) so be amazed if the police have. The capability exists but the US even realised this was going to be tough to get right.

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/assets/jus14-warcomeshome-report-web-rel1.pdf
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Any time I have been to the US I have always felt the undertone of racial tensions. A friend and I were in a club in NYC a few years ago, got chatting to a guy who was black. He told us that there were quite a lot of problems between races. Incidentally he also said that the only white people he chats to are the Brits, said he feels we accept other ethnicities a lot more openly.

Obviously only his viewpoint but it did shock me someone was that open about it to strangers. A few days later I was racially abused going through Harlem which sort of backed up his view.

completely agree. The only place i've been to in the western world where i've felt uncomfortable being somewhere because of my white skin was in the states. I can only imagine what it's like for ethnic minorities in the deep south/traditionally white areas.

There's a serious racial problem in the states that they very rarely address directly, if at all.
  • Options
    I work with Americans in the offshore industry. There is no way these lot put a man on the moon in the 1960's!!
  • Options

I think we are closest to the Dutch.

Agree

• Options
    It's a shame no posts on this thread pay respect or even make reference to the origin of the unrest in Ferguson.
  • Options

Some of the comments on here make no sense to me. America is around 10 million square km and over 300 million people many with ancestry all over the globe. Equating one culture to the country or one culture to the coasts and another to the Midwest is a little naive. It is equivalent to saying that Europe has one culture. There are probably over a hundred significantly different cultural geographies within the US. Having spent the first half of my life in SE London and the second half in America, I have seen the cultural differences and there are areas which are very similar to home others that are completely different. There have been some prejudices on here that are a little harsh. If some of these previous posts are just to have some banter/ humor, that's fine but hopefully people don't really believe that all Americans are gun toting backwater racists

Take each human as they come
  • Options
    Having worked in the Netherlands we are not a lot like them. They are far more laid back, obsessed with consensus and very direct. Generally far less work focused too. Similar in humour, but not a lot else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Governor of Missouri declares state of emergency and imposes curfew in Ferguson after violent protests over shooting of teenager by police

Curfew is between midnight and 5am.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Come from a small piece of land in NW Europe - check.
    Tend to live in lowland areas, some reclaimed from the sea - check.
    Former head-state of an empire built on seapower, now powerful only as a part of wider Europe - check.
    Potentially confusing range of country names - Check (England/Britain/UK), (Holland/Netherlands/Benelux).
    Economic and cultural life dominated by a single city - check.
    White indigenous population that has for the most part embraced the multi-race multi-cultural model - check.
    Protestant/conservative by upbringing, secular/liberal by inclination - check.
    Interests include gardening, drinking Faversham's finest Oranjeboom, and taking recreational drugs - check.
    Take holidays in Sussex - check.
    Ardent football fans who follow their team absolutely anywhere - check.
    See Germany as rivals but only rarely match them - check.
    Fluent speakers of English - well, we're not that far behind them; with a bit of effort we could catch up.

Yep, I think we are closest to the Dutch.
    You forgot playing darts too.
  • Options

Some of the comments on here make no sense to me. America is around 10 million square km and over 300 million people many with ancestry all over the globe. Equating one culture to the country or one culture to the coasts and another to the Midwest is a little naive. It is equivalent to saying that Europe has one culture. There are probably over a hundred significantly different cultural geographies within the US. Having spent the first half of my life in SE London and the second half in America, I have seen the cultural differences and there are areas which are very similar to home others that are completely different. There have been some prejudices on here that are a little harsh. If some of these previous posts are just to have some banter/ humor, that's fine but hopefully people don't really believe that all Americans are gun toting backwater racists

Take each human as they come
    Sex addict?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Stig said:

Come from a small piece of land in NW Europe - check.
    Tend to live in lowland areas, some reclaimed from the sea - check.
    Former head-state of an empire built on seapower, now powerful only as a part of wider Europe - check.
    Potentially confusing range of country names - Check (England/Britain/UK), (Holland/Netherlands/Benelux).
    Economic and cultural life dominated by a single city - check.
    White indigenous population that has for the most part embraced the multi-race multi-cultural model - check.
    Protestant/conservative by upbringing, secular/liberal by inclination - check.
    Interests include gardening, drinking Faversham's finest Oranjeboom, and taking recreational drugs - check.
    Take holidays in Sussex - check.
    Ardent football fans who follow their team absolutely anywhere - check.
    See Germany as rivals but only rarely match them - check.
    Fluent speakers of English - well, we're not that far behind them; with a bit of effort we could catch up.

Yep, I think we are closest to the Dutch.
    You forgot playing darts too.
    You forgot , love a lady of the night too
  • Options
    Just seen footage of the deceased robbing a liquor store. Can see this running for a while.
  • Options

Just seen footage of the deceased robbing a liquor store. Can see this running for a while.

What the?
  • Options
    Yeah. This happens a lot when someone completely denies the police version of events and turns it into a race thing.

The US have a much bigger issue with race than we do in the UK. And when a black person (allegedly) commits a crime picking sides becomes as tribal as football teams. Just look at OJ Simpson, that wasn't about if he did it, it was about if black celebrities could get away with the same crazy stuff that white celebrities were getting away with, as well as, as is always the case in america, racism.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Yeah. This happens a lot when someone completely denies the police version of events and turns it into a race thing.

The US have a much bigger issue with race than we do in the UK. And when a black person (allegedly) commits a crime picking sides becomes as tribal as football teams. Just look at OJ Simpson, that wasn't about if he did it, it was about if black celebrities could get away with the same crazy stuff that white celebrities were getting away with, as well as, as is always the case in america, racism.

The police have admitted they did not know he was a robbery suspect at the time of the shooting which makes issuing the video crass to say the least and it has not helped the situation there.
  • Options
    There are parts of the U.S. that are as foreign to us living here, as they are to people living elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

It's a shame no posts on this thread pay respect or even make reference to the origin of the unrest in Ferguson.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Huskaris said:

The police have admitted they did not know he was a robbery suspect at the time of the shooting which makes issuing the video crass to say the least and it has not helped the situation there.
    Live by the sword die by the sword as the saying goes. Can't blame the police for showing this video IMO.
  • Options
    And it begins....
  • Options
    Jury decided against charging the police officer. Cue riots... cars being burned, shops broken into.
  • Options

Jury decided against charging the police officer. Cue riots... cars being burned, shops broken into.

Yep you called it :-(
  • Options
    If you take the race and political aspects out of this a moment and of course the absolute tragedy of a young life lost. I was on the way to work this morning and heard on the news bulletin, the judge (I assume) running through the evidence, specifically the changes in and validity of the various witness statements, this was only going to be a nightmare decision to make. Wouldn't of liked to have ruled on this, a lose lose situation all around.
  • Options
    This happens all over in America every day. The police encounter a 'suspect'. He/she appears to be 'threatening'. They open fire. The gunfire isn't to maim but it's to kill. There's no firing at the kneecaps, but instead just blast away at the body. Often the suspect is black.

This is a microcosm of underlying issues with the American culture. The abuse of the gun culture and racism.

The verdict in Ferguson was no surprise and the authorities have been gearing up for a week now to handle the riots.