Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ferguson

Comments

• Options
    The sad thing is that the looting and burning of people's businesses is really a great way to show your pain of a kid whose been killed, who when your interviewed you act like you loved him and knew him

These people are the same reason that the ob kill young men in America
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    In the US In 2005 most homicides involving one victim and one offender were intraracial. About 93% of black homicide victims and 85% of white victims in single victim and single offender homicides were murdered by someone of their race. Women were the offenders in about 10% of single victim and single offender homicides of both blacks and whites.

So the vast majority of murders are either black on black or white on white.
  • Options

The sad thing is that the looting and burning of people's businesses is really a great way to show your pain of a kid whose been killed, who when your interviewed you act like you loved him and knew him

These people are the same reason that the ob kill young men in America

these people? https://storify.com/betakateenin/white-people-riots
  • Options
    Addickted said:

In the US In 2005 most homicides involving one victim and one offender were intraracial. About 93% of black homicide victims and 85% of white victims in single victim and single offender homicides were murdered by someone of their race. Women were the offenders in about 10% of single victim and single offender homicides of both blacks and whites.

So the vast majority of murders are either black on black or white on white.

Also, most murder victims know their murderer. The media perpetuates the notion of random homicides.
  • Options

Except that those black-on-black crimes generally involve armed criminals shooting each other, not an armed black police officer shooting an unarmed black man.
  • Options

If you take the race and political aspects out of this a moment and of course the absolute tragedy of a young life lost. I was on the way to work this morning and heard on the news bulletin, the judge (I assume) running through the evidence, specifically the changes in and validity of the various witness statements, this was only going to be a nightmare decision to make. Wouldn't of liked to have ruled on this, a lose lose situation all around.

In this case a grand jury decided. For the benefit of those of you in the UK a grand jury proceeding(s) are much more relaxed than normal court room proceedings. There is no judge present and frequently there are no lawyers except for the prosecutor. The prosecutor will explain the law to the jury and work with them to gather evidence and hear testimony. Under normal courtroom rules of evidence, exhibits and other testimony must adhere to strict rules before admission. However, a grand jury has broad power to see and hear almost anything they would like. However, unlike the vast majority of trials, grand jury proceedings are kept in strict confidence. This serves two purposes: It encourages witnesses to speak freely and without fear of retaliation. It protects the potential defendant's reputation in case the jury does not decide to indict.
  • Options
    I don't see what the relevance of the colour is tbh,

Same as over here when Duggan died, black, white, chavs, middle class, causing carnage and mass destruction in the name of a dead young man

All sympathy to the original situation gone imo

• Options

Except that those black-on-black crimes generally involve armed criminals shooting each other, not an armed black police officer shooting an unarmed black man who has just committed robbery and is assaulting said police officer
    Fixed that for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    oh christ
  • Options
    Assaulting a police officer? Michael Brown had his empty hands in the air and the officer continued to fire at him. As has been said, it's not even about race, an armed man in a powerful position murdered another unarmed man, and it's tragic and desperately sad that nothing will be done about it.
  • Options

Same as over here when Duggan died, black, white, chavs, middle class, causing carnage and mass destruction in the name of a dead young man

The United States has 5 percent of the world population, yet approximately 25 percent of its prisoners.

More than 60 percent of the people in prison are people of color. For black males in their twenties, one in every eight is in prison or jail on any given day.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Assaulting a police officer? Michael Brown had his empty hands in the air and the officer continued to fire at him. As has been said, it's not even about race, an armed man in a powerful position murdered another unarmed man, and it's tragic and desperately sad that nothing will be done about it.

except that's exactly what didn't happen.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/11/25/366507379/ferguson-docs-how-the-grand-jury-reached-a-decision

• Options

The United States has 5 percent of the world population, yet approximately 25 percent of its prisoners.

More than 60 percent of the people in prison are people of color. For black males in their twenties, one in every eight is in prison or jail on any given day.
    The people in jail are the people who commit the crimes.
  • Options
    The eighteen year-old "child" would still be alive if he hadn't just strong-arm robbed the store.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

The people in jail are the people who commit the crimes.
    and those "crimes" are mostly drug related.
  • Options
    Screw you AGAIN, AFKA
  • Options

Except that those black-on-black crimes generally involve armed criminals shooting each other, not an armed black police officer shooting an unarmed black man who has just committed robbery and is assaulting said police officer
    Fixed that for you.
    Wow.

I wonder if you'd have that attitude if that was your completely unarmed child getting shot to death in the street by a policeman.

I find your original post to which I responded way out of line, I don't really see the murder of a 17 year old child as being a matter to laugh about - clearly by posting a Meme with Kermit the Fucking Frog on it then you do.

If I recall correctly you are Jewish aren't you? How would you feel about someone posting something like that on here that said.

"2 million Armenians killed in the Turkish genocide....but at least they don't still bloody carry on about it like the Jews do."

Are you OK with that? Is that OK for humour too?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014

Fixed that for you.
    Wow.

I wonder if you'd have that attitude if that was your completely unarmed child getting shot to death in the street by a policeman.

I find your original post to which I responded way out of line, I don't really see the murder of a 17 year old child as being a matter to laugh about - clearly by posting a Meme with Kermit the Fucking Frog on it then you do.

If I recall correctly you are Jewish aren't you? How would you feel about someone posting something like that on here that said.

"2 million Armenians killed in the Turkish genocide....but at least they don't still bloody carry on about it like the Jews do."

Are you OK with that? Is that OK for humour too?

Your comment about the Jews is impressive. However, I think that's a route that none of us want to go down. If you wish to reconsider that statement, and I hope you will, I'll gladly edit this post.

Similarly, the poor lad in question was age 18, he was not only an adult (not a child as you suggest), he was actually old enough to go to war and fight for his country.

None of us know the true events, but a jury of citizens (of different races) have made their decisions based on the evidence provided to them. The evidence we, as outsiders, have to go on, is a spectrum of hearsay that both covers the extremes of "The officer was facing something which could've legitimately been construed as a threat to his life" to "It was cold blooded and an unarmed teenager was viciously gunned down, and his life was tragically cut short, whilst trying to surrender himself to a police officer.".

It's tough.

That said, sure you can see that kentaddick makes a valid point? Sure, maybe Kermit may not be the most sensitive way to construct that point..

What at first may seem as post that is crass or in poor judgement, it does beg the point - why on earth aren't people rioting because nothing is done to prevent the violence that goes on everyday in deprived areas?

It does rather undermine the riots when you consider that, albeit tragically, a young man has died - but everyday there are countless more murders on the streets and no one batters an eyelid.

Reminds me of Duggan in some ways; there was a horrific spate of teenage stabbings in London (I'm willing to bet that at least 3 of the newshopper's most read articles right now involve teenagers and knives.) and it still goes on, but that a uniform was involved in an incident suddenly makes it a good time to be an animal and wreck the very place you live in.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

The eighteen year-old "child" would still be alive if he hadn't just strong-arm robbed the store.

Exactly
  • Options
    The people of ferguson are complaining that they get treated like animals and get victimised then they act like that and tear up their own town.

I can't be the only one thinking what they are doing justifies why police can be so hard on them over there?

Michael Browns family have asked them to stop rioting and to be peaceful and work for a change so it doesn't happen again instead of wrecking everything.

The people of Ferguson aren't rioting for an injustice of Michael Brown. They're rioting cos they are scum and they don't like the police.
  • Options

The people of Ferguson aren't rioting for an injustice of Michael Brown. They're rioting cos they are scum and they don't like the police.

Why don't they like the police?

• Options

Why don't they like the police?

The impression I get from in the UK, that deprived areas are looking for someone to blame. Who better to take it out on than the old bill. Gangs, guns, violence, theft all looked to be clamped down on by the police, so it's hardly a match made in heaven to begin with. I presume its the same in the US. If you replaced all the cops in Ferguson with all black officers, there would still be hatred towards them.

These rioters are just opportunists who are playing up against authority.
  • Options

The people of ferguson are complaining that they get treated like animals and get victimised then they act like that and tear up their own town.

I can't be the only one thinking what they are doing justifies why police can be so hard on them over there?

Michael Browns family have asked them to stop rioting and to be peaceful and work for a change so it doesn't happen again instead of wrecking everything.

but Michaels step dad was filmed standing on a car calling for the town to be burned.

• Options
    Spot the anti-police brigade
  • Options

If you take the race and political aspects out of this a moment and of course the absolute tragedy of a young life lost. I was on the way to work this morning and heard on the news bulletin, the judge (I assume) running through the evidence, specifically the changes in and validity of the various witness statements, this was only going to be a nightmare decision to make. Wouldn't of liked to have ruled on this, a lose lose situation all around.

In this case a grand jury decided. For the benefit of those of you in the UK a grand jury proceeding(s) are much more relaxed than normal court room proceedings. There is no judge present and frequently there are no lawyers except for the prosecutor. The prosecutor will explain the law to the jury and work with them to gather evidence and hear testimony. Under normal courtroom rules of evidence, exhibits and other testimony must adhere to strict rules before admission. However, a grand jury has broad power to see and hear almost anything they would like. However, unlike the vast majority of trials, grand jury proceedings are kept in strict confidence. This serves two purposes: It encourages witnesses to speak freely and without fear of retaliation. It protects the potential defendant's reputation in case the jury does not decide to indict.
    I still don't understand the whole Grand Jury concept. Can the Grand jury's decision be overturned? If it is overturned what's the record then like for subsequent guilty verdicts? Who sits on a Grand Jury? Are they at all competent to decide whether a matter should go before a proper trial? What is their threshold for the decision? (In the UK the CPS must conclude that they have a realistic prospect of a guilty verdict which translates into meaning more than a 50% chance of success.) Could you explain more? Does any other country use it? What's the point?

It seems like just another example of some of the pretty ludicrous bureaucracy that goes on in the States.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    We have the CPS here who decide if a "crime" goes through to trial---they have a JURY. It wasnt some single "middle aged white man" who decided there wasnt a case but a jury.

Diane Abbot that well known anti racist (except when its out of her gob) telling the media she will be at a protest outside the USA Embassey tonight---and just to make sure throws in her own lie of this guy being shot in the back---leing its in her Labour DNA