Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ferguson

Comments

• Options

We have the CPS here who decide if a "crime" goes through to trial---they have a JURY. It wasnt some single "middle aged white man" who decided there wasnt a case but a jury.

Diane Abbot that well known anti racist (except when its out of her gob) telling the media she will be at a protest outside the USA Embassey tonight---and just to make sure throws in her own lie of this guy being shot in the back---leing its in her DNA

Haha is that true?

She dont miss a trick does she!
  • Options

Except that those black-on-black crimes generally involve armed criminals shooting each other, not an armed black police officer shooting an unarmed black man who has just committed robbery and is assaulting said police officer
    Fixed that for you.
    Wow.

I wonder if you'd have that attitude if that was your completely unarmed child getting shot to death in the street by a policeman.

I find your original post to which I responded way out of line, I don't really see the murder of a 17 year old child as being a matter to laugh about - clearly by posting a Meme with Kermit the Fucking Frog on it then you do.

If I recall correctly you are Jewish aren't you? How would you feel about someone posting something like that on here that said.

"2 million Armenians killed in the Turkish genocide....but at least they don't still bloody carry on about it like the Jews do."

Are you OK with that? Is that OK for humour too?

you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
  • Options

We have the CPS here who decide if a "crime" goes through to trial---they have a JURY. It wasnt some single "middle aged white man" who decided there wasnt a case but a jury.

I thought I read that the jury had to be unanimous if there was to be a trial of the policeman. If that is the true then it is possible a "middle aged white man" did decide there wasn't a case.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    its a jury
  • Options
    What's your point?
  • Options
    whats urs ? a jury made the decision based on the evidence not to charge and your point is what ?
  • Options
    FERGUSON, Missouri (AP) - Some witnesses called it a tussle. Others described it as a tug-of-war. Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson testified that they were fighting over his handgun.

None of the witnesses who testified, other than Wilson, could say exactly what was happening inside his police car, but by almost all accounts, Michael Brown was physically struggling with the officer through his open window moments before he was fatally shot on Aug. 9.

Wilson blamed it on Brown, saying the teenager reached through his driver's side window, hit him in the face, called him a "pussy" and grabbed his gun. Wilson told the grand jury that he pulled the trigger twice in his own defense, but no shots went off.

"At this point I'm like, why isn't this working? This guy is going to kill me if he gets ahold of this gun. I pulled it a third time, it goes off."

Wilson's description of his state of mind during that initial confrontation may help explain why jurors decided not to indict. One of the legal standards for justifiable use of deadly force in Missouri is whether an officer reasonably believed his life was in danger.
  • Options

whats urs ? a jury made the decision based on the evidence not to charge and your point is what ?

I thought the jury had to be unanimous before the policeman could sent to trial, hence my point that it could be just one person who decided there wasn't a case. Turns out there needed to be 9 out of 12 who agreed.
  • Options

I think the point is that law is complex. In the UK a jury decides on the evidence and the trial is guided by the Judge on the legal niceties - such as whether a piece of evidence is actually admissible or not. That's why I asked wondered whether any of the individuals on a US Grand Jury have any levels of appropriate competence.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

FERGUSON, Missouri (AP) - Some witnesses called it a tussle. Others described it as a tug-of-war. Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson testified that they were fighting over his handgun.

None of the witnesses who testified, other than Wilson, could say exactly what was happening inside his police car, but by almost all accounts, Michael Brown was physically struggling with the officer through his open window moments before he was fatally shot on Aug. 9.

Wilson blamed it on Brown, saying the teenager reached through his driver's side window, hit him in the face, called him a "pussy" and grabbed his gun. Wilson told the grand jury that he pulled the trigger twice in his own defense, but no shots went off.

"At this point I'm like, why isn't this working? This guy is going to kill me if he gets ahold of this gun. I pulled it a third time, it goes off."

Wilson's description of his state of mind during that initial confrontation may help explain why jurors decided not to indict. One of the legal standards for justifiable use of deadly force in Missouri is whether an officer reasonably believed his life was in danger.

thankfully some facts rather than opinions in this thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    limeygent said:

Reading the officers full statement (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/25_11_14_ferguson_wilson.pdf) his version of events seems plausible, and consistent with the facts. But I've not heard any of the full contradictory statements and clearly we cannot hear Brown's version of events.

Extracts of the witness testimonies are available here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30189966

It seems as though there were three witnesses other than the officer. Two, who I believe were independent (i.e. didn't know either) said that Brown ran at the officer after the initial confrontation after which the cop shot him dead - the third witness, Brown's mate, said he didn't run at him.

It's a tragedy and one aspect of this that hasn't received much discussion is that the office chose not to carry mace (sp?) - the pepper spray thing. If he had then he'd have had an option between Brown killing him (which was apparently his fear) and him killing Brown.
  • Options
    The "child" committing the strong-arm robbery, minutes before being confronted by the officer.
  • Options

I didn't know robbery was punishable by death, I'm glad I don't live over there.

if you assault some one who clearly has a gun then i'm guessing you're playing with fire.
  • Options

I didn't know robbery was punishable by death, I'm glad I don't live over there.

Ummm, I think China might be worse.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_offences_in_China
  • Options

if you assault some one who clearly has a gun then i'm guessing you're playing with fire.
    Wouldn't say that is punishable by death though.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I dont think the copper was looking to serve punishment.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Ummm, I think China might be worse.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_offences_in_China
    I'm not sure China pretends to be a land of equality and justice, nor do I understand the relevance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If a 290 pound man was leaning in my car window, punching me in the face, I'd likely consider that my life was in danger.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

"oh hey dude who's just committed a crime, yeah sure come reach into my cop car, assault me and take my gun from me. I appreciate you just want to have a look at it and will give it back to me without any fuss"

If it was a black police officer who had done this, no one would give a shit.
  • Options
    What would have been the reaction if the shopkeeper had shot him?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Shot someone for alleged shoplifiting? I'd say that's excessive in the extreme
  • Options
    I could be totally wrong but I believe I read somewhere the officer had said he didn't know about the earlier robbery when he the Guy.

Having worked with a fair few Americans, during my time in China, mostly all well of whites would be there certainly is a problem over there.
  • Options
    The BBC played a radio interview with the policeman, Wilson, this morning. Basically his version of events is that he was sitting in his car with the window down when Brown approached, punched him in the face and made a grab for his gun .. the interview is not quite clear whether Brown was accidently shot during a struggle for the gun or if the shooting was a desperate act on Wilson's part to prevent Brown getting control of the gun and was done in self defence.
    The variances between 'witness' statements and versions of what actually took place are quite remarkable. America is a society wherein guns and the use of them is a fact of life .. what a pity that Brown lost his life over a petty, albeit unpleasant minor robbery, and a subsequent loss of temper during a dispute with a policeman. Perhaps drugs played a part. Maybe an autopsy will throw some light on this.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Addickted said:

"Strong-arm robbery" isn't exactly shoplifting is it? If the shopkeeper had felt that his life was in danger he would have had every right to defend himself.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Addickted said:

The pictures posted by Limeygent don't show an alleged shoplifter though, do they?

Just another bully who thinks he's above the law.

• Options
    Addickted said:

colthe3rd said:

Addickted said:

The pictures posted by Limeygent don't show an alleged shoplifter though, do they?

Just another bully who thinks he's above the law.

Again though not a justification to shoot and kill someone