Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Derby | Tues 19th Aug 2014 | Match Preview and Predictions

Well Bob Peeters has certainly made an impression in the brief time that he has been at The Valley. Four points out of two league games is a very impressive start indeed.

However, like last Saturday, Tuesday night will be an interesting test to see if this Charlton side are capable of having a good season.

Tuesday’s opponents are Derby County, who are expected to have another good season after reaching the play-off final last year.

The Opposition

Derby have enjoyed life under Steve McClaren since the ex-England boss took charge of the Rams last September. Not only did he manage to take them to the play-off final, but he also installed a good style of football at the iPro stadium.

McClaren’s side have had a decent start to the season, they defeated Rotherham 1-0 on the opening day and drew 0-0 away at Sheffield Wednesday, last weekend.

The main problem for Derby so far has been the lack of taking their chances. They had a combined total of 21 shots in those two league games and will now be looking to get their shooting boots on, starting at The Valley on Tuesday night.

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Derby:

The Rams’ player to watch on Tuesday night is their central midfielder, Will Hughes. The 19-year-old, Boris Johnson lookalike, has been one of the rising stars of the Championship in the last few years. He is a fantastic passer of the ball and has apparently been scouted by the likes of Barcelona, Arsenal and Liverpool.

If you aren’t aware of his talents, take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeKbc_BqNQM

Charlton:

The Addicks’ player to watch this weekend is Jordan Cousins. There were question marks over Bob Peeters’ decision to play him from the left, but thus far, Cousins has been impressive in that position.

It’s likely that he’ll start there again Tuesday, so let's hope he'll be able to produce something similar to this once more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmZcLPdeZwE

The Line –Up:

I was surprised to see that we were unchanged against Wigan from the side that drew with Brentford, however, Peeters’ plan seemed to pay off especially with his substitutions.

One change that will most probably happen, is that Stephen Henderson should miss out through a hamstring injury and if so, his likely replacement is Nick Pope.

The back-four of Solly, Ben Haim, Bikey and Wiggins should continue meaning Morrison, Gomez and Fox will again miss out.

In midfield, Gudmundsson, Jackson, Buyens and Cousins will probably stay unchanged. Although, Lawrie Wilson will be in contention also.

Despite Franck Moussa’s valuable contribution last weekend, I still see Peeters’ lining up with two up-front, especially as the lack of height up-top was noticeable when Tucudean was substituted.

The Prediction:

I’ve been on form with the Preview predictions so far, correctly guessing the Brentford and Wigan scoreline.

So (don’t) back a 1-1 draw on Tuesday night.

Comments

• Options
    My first game of the new season and I'm very excited. Think we'll lose by a single goal but I really don't mind. After 4 points from Brentford and Wigan, this game feels like a free shot at one of the promotion favourites.
  • Options
    Be extremely surprised if Solly starts (Reckon he'll just play our Saturday matches).

Be the above Squad with either Joe Gomez or Lawrie Wilson coming in at Right-Back... just depends on two things
    (1) - Is Joe ready for a team like Derby (probably because they'll be a passing team rather than physical etc...)
    (2) - Does Bob Peeters see Wilson as an RB or mainly an Midfielder
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    Head says a draw, as that would be a great result but im in a good mood, so gonna be optimistic and say we can keep them out for a one nil win, Igor with the goal.
  • Options
    Somewhat agree with Callum. The Wigan victory has taken the pressure off this game. I hope the lads really give it a good go and enjoy themselves.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I would be happy with a draw. Wouldn't be surprised if we played 5 in midfield
  • Options
    Derby didnt impress me against Carlisle (they fielded a strong side last week) in the League Cup and have only scored 1-goal this season in the league...

Perfect time to face them and after beating Wigan on Saturday the lads should go into the match with plenty of confidence, no reason why we cant steal all three points
  • Options

Be extremely surprised if Solly starts (Reckon he'll just play our Saturday matches).

Be the above Squad with either Joe Gomez or Lawrie Wilson coming in at Right-Back... just depends on two things
    (1) - Is Joe ready for a team like Derby (probably because they'll be a passing team rather than physical etc...)
    (2) - Does Bob Peeters see Wilson as an RB or mainly an Midfielder

Before I saw Joe Gomez last week against Colchester I would have thought unlikely but after watching him WOW what a prospect!
    I know Derby will be
  • Options
    1-1 Vetokele for us.
  • Options
    ------Henderson
    Solly - Bikey - TBH - Fox
    ----Cousins - Buyens
    -Wilson - Moussa - JBG
    -------Vetokele
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really don't see Solly starting against Derby. His absence will have a knock on effect probably in a rather subtle way, but with the likely change in goal the defence will generally be disrupted.
    Tricky.
    There is also the question of Jackson and the reports he was unwell against Wigan which may also lead to other changes. If we can respond well to those challenges it will be very encouraging.
  • Options
    After watching us a couple of times now I'm feeling pretty confident. Derby haven't hit the ground running and I think this is a good time to play them before they catch momentum. Pressure is on for them being favourites, we've already overachieved in most peoples eyes and I can see us going into this one with pure confidence.

Can see it being a similar game to Wigan, in the sense that they'll probably have most of the ball and have some tidy passes, but they'll lack end product (going by recent stats).

At the moment I'm wondering what team Bob will send out. I'm hoping TBH and Bikey will partner up again after Saturday.

4-5-1/4-3-3

Pope
    Wilson TBH Bikey Wiggins
    JBG Jackson Buyens Cousins Moussa
    Vetokele

2-0 Charlton.
  • Options
    I'm going for 4-0 to us and people starting to get excited. Igor, Wilson and Buyens with the goals.
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton Athletic....
  • Options
    1-1 Draw. 4pts from home games against Wigan & Derby would be a very satisfactory return.
  • Options
    another 2-1 to us.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

1-1 Vetokele for us.

Oh no he doesn't tend to score one on ones.
  • Options
    Pope
    Nego-Morro-Wood-Fox
    Wilson-Gower-Pritch-Harriott
    Church-Piggott

Only Joking...

We really have a much better team this season.
  • Options
    2-0 Addicks........match thread from 7 pm
  • Options
    I really can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A draw would be a result but being below the scum we need to win
    1-1
  • Options
    Entertaining score draw
  • Options
    Wilson for Solly wouldn't be the end of the world and would likely mean an entertaining game with his defensive frailty compensated for by the extra dimension he brings to the team going forwards
  • Options
    1-1, and I expect Lawrie to start
  • Options
    taken from the OPTA performance scores after 2 league matches

...............................Charlton...........Derby
    Defence...................282..................446
    Attack......................253...................89
    Possession..............-171...................95 (yes that is a minus 171)
    Overall Performance 282..................544
    Position....................12th..................2nd

Wilson for Solly and Moussa for Jackson will give us 1-1
  • Options

taken from the OPTA performance scores after 2 league matches

...............................Charlton...........Derby
    Defence...................282..................446
    Attack......................253...................89
    Possession..............-171...................95 (yes that is a minus 171)
    Overall Performance 282..................544
    Position....................12th..................2nd

Wilson for Solly and Moussa for Jackson will give us 1-1

League Position... Charlton (6th) - Derby (8th)... Only stat that matters ;)
  • Options
    ------Henderson
    Solly - Bikey - TBH - Wiggins
    ----Cousins - Buyens
    -Wilson - Moussa - JBG
    -------Vetokele

Play this team Bob and we will win 2-1
  • Options
    Am going for a confidence boosting 2.0 win. A goal in each half with Igor on the scoresheet at least once, a solid defensive display ensuring victory in a fast and hard fought game and the Reds sitting proudly in 4th place in the table.
  • Options
    An even game that could go either way, that first league win will really help the players and manager relax tomorrow