Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Never knew this...

Okay I knew both Charlton and Millwall are rivals but I never knew both your grounds were so close to each other (less than 5 miles?) that's roughly about the same distance between Wednesday and United.

So am I right in thinking that you see Palace as your main rival? if so why?

Comments

• Options
    no ur not right ---Millwall will always be our rivals----palarse treated us like shit when we hd to share their shit hole , we paid that back by relegating them from the prem.

nearest ground to us is West Ham but the Thames is in the way.
  • Options
    Millwall are the real enemy but they're more concerned about West Ham.

Resentment for Palace comes from the 80s ground share.
  • Options
    To most mate Millsmall are the true rivals although over the years the behavior of the stripey kiddie hitterscand old man beating scum has warranted a bigger amounting younger fans hating them as much if not more than millsmall

To me I don't like either but my hatred is different towards both

• Options
    Wait till West Ham move into the Olympic Stadium if you think Millwall are close
  • Options
    just imagine if they suddenly closed Hillsborough and you had to play your games at Bramell Lane - that's why we hate Palarse, as for the Spanners as you say only 5 miles away so yes we hate them as well, but for those of us that had to go there the Palarse feeling is special. We also shared with WetSpam for a while but they were quite pleasant about it and by then we hoped we were going home.
  • Options
    The spanners' cup final is against us.
  • Options
    Cheers, interesting hearing the stories.
  • Options
    Depends on age doesn't it, under 35 you probably see Palace as the rivals, over that you see Millwall as the rivals.

upto a couple of years ago we hadn't played Millwall for nearly 20 years, whilst we had regular games against those stripey middle class wankers.
  • Options
    Had a close shave at the old toolbox when I was a teenager in the mid sixties, hated the Spanners ever since as did my old man. Palarse by comparison are just an irritation to me but I can fully understand the ill feeling of others towards them following their cowardly attack on parents with their kids on a train to Selhurst.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Palace fans are just scum of the earth! All that black ultras sh#te
  • Options
    edited August 2014

no ur not right ---Millwall will always be our rivals----palarse treated us like shit when we hd to share their shit hole , we paid that back by relegating them from the prem.

When you say they treated you like shit how do you mean? I went to SP twice both in 89 and 90' when you were already down and we won 2-1 (I think), a result that I thought saved us from the drop but it wasn't to be, then the season after when Sheridan scored a wonder goal to win 1-0.

My first visit back to the Valley came in a FA Cup game in the mid 90s.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Depends on age doesn't it, under 35 you probably see Palace as the rivals, over that you see Millwall as the rivals.

upto a couple of years ago we hadn't played Millwall for nearly 20 years, whilst we had regular games against those stripey middle class wankers.

I'm well over 35 but have to say when I was younger (20's and 30's) I'd say I hated Palace more then Millwall, now I'm kicking the arse of 50 I can't say I really hate either, just happy to see either of them get beat.
  • Options
    We have had this before on here and I commented then, I can only assume we have some very young members on here.
    Charlton's dislike of Palace comes long before the days of ground share and I believe came around the time they started to talk like Billy big balls and with ex Charlton player Malcom Alison as their manager, along with his big hat, big cigar and big ego to match.

Whilst Millwall, although close rivals were like us supported by dockers whom in my early days would watch which ever team was at home that week.

• Options
    Palace are a bigger rival in my eyes, as has been said many times before Millwall provide a valuable service in our society where's I can think of no point to Palace whatsoever. I hate the stripey ones and pity Millwall.
  • Options
    Ashaddick said:

We have had this before on here and I commented then, I can only assume we have some very young members on here.
    Charlton's dislike of Palace comes long before the days of ground share and I believe came around the time they started to talk like Billy big balls and with ex Charlton player Malcom Alison as their manager, along with his big hat, big cigar and big ego to match.

Whilst Millwall, although close rivals were like us supported by dockers whom in my early days would watch which ever team was at home that week.

That's how I see it....it was Alison in the 70's that really got my back up with Palace.....remember the song....Alison, Alison shut your mouth......
  • Options
    edited August 2014

When you say they treated you like shit how do you mean?
    having to run the club from a portacabin for six years, them wanting to use the home dressing room and stands when we had the home fixture, allowing us the 'share' their club shop but not removing their merchandise and generally having the attitude that we 'owed' them for saving our club (which is boll*x)

Do get a sense of who I see as our 'rivals' :)
  • Options
    Palace have always been more comparable to us on the pitch, whereas Millwall have generally been below Charlton in the league. West ham for the last 50 years have tended to be above Charlton, and the River Thames is a massive barrier to London rivalries
    While I get great amusement from both teams losing, I can't really bring myself to hate them, most Palace fans I've met are actually very similar to Charlton fans, they have their idiot supporters, but so do we...
  • Options
    Ashaddick said:

"Team of the eighties"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    muuuurrrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    Love Charlton, laugh at Millwall, loathe Palace sums it up for me
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    F**k em all, I say, f**k em,
    I only have eyes for Charlton!
  • Options
    To me Millwall are our natural rivals in a dysfunctional younger brother sort of way, Palce are just bastards, because of the Selhurst years and because they believe they are better than they are .. something they would probably say about us.
  • Options
    It's Millwall. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong. There is "history" with Palace because of the Selhurst years but the true rivalry is Millwall. Our demographic overlaps much more than with Palace who without "the history" would be meaningless much like Watford or Brentford.
  • Options
    Millwall our biggest rival. Palace are more of a joke.
  • Options
    I dislike Millwall just out of local rivalry & that they represent the pathetic side of Football so called supporting IMO, although they do have some decent fans i will admit.

Palace is more personal for me due to a number of reasons, i just despise that club so much, i was taught to hate them by my Dad who went through the away from the Valley years and then my personal hatred was fueled by Simon Jordan who we all agree is a complete (insert your insult here). ;-)