Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Never knew this...

Comments

• Options
    Have Millwall supporting mates, yet know no Palace fans... I dislike Millwall but somewhat respect them. Always a big day playing them, now Palarse on the other hand....
  • Options
    Millwall are our true rivals in my opinion, had to put up with all of their shit in the 70`s. They claim they are not bothered about us but when we play them they sell their tickets out as if it was a cup final. The thing is, most Charlton fans know some Millwall fans and vice-versa. I can honestly say I don`t know 1 Palace fan and I am not interested in changing that. Have to say I hated every minute of it at Selhurst, even when we got promoted. From a Millwall point of view, they fucking hate losing to us(on the rare occasion it happens lol)and they can`t stand knowing that they can`t take the piss out of us these days! That really does gall them!

OP I remember that FA Cup game you are talking about. We won 2.0 and we only had 10 men! ;)
  • Options
    Trouble with supporting a club in London, you are not too far, in any direction, from another club. Even Gillingham complained we took their supporters, as they wanted all of Kent for themselves.
  • Options
    Ashaddick said:

We have had this before on here and I commented then, I can only assume we have some very young members on here.
    Charlton's dislike of Palace comes long before the days of ground share and I believe came around the time they started to talk like Billy big balls and with ex Charlton player Malcom Alison as their manager, along with his big hat, big cigar and big ego to match.

Whilst Millwall, although close rivals were like us supported by dockers whom in my early days would watch which ever team was at home that week.

I never knew this, very interesting. Cheers.

Palace for me are just so cringe worthy and nigel is indeed a perfect way to describe their fans. Most Palace fans I've met are slimey smug bores, and as mentioned above I do think they're club should be as irrelevant as Brentford and Watford, that's why it infruriates me so to see them doing well... can only imagine how horrible it must have been sharing with them.

On the other hand, I only know a handful of Palace supporters whereas I went to primary school with a lot of Millwall fans and also know a lot through playing football, raves etc and various other things, a fair few of them, not all i must add are teens/early 20's and really think they are the dogs b*llcks when it comes to being a football fan, they think they're back in the 80's or something and seem like they only support millwall for the reputation that goes with it. Which does annoy me a little but at the end of the day they are just laughable. However as I said do know a lot more Millwall then Palace and some of them are nice blokes.

• Options
    Slightly irrelevant to this thread but I'm not going to miss an opportunity to state I feckin' hate L***s.
  • Options
    I detest Palace 10x more than Millwall.

Think the fact that we couldn't even sell our away allocation at Millwall out last season tells you that Palace are firmly in the driving seat as far as our biggest enemy is concerned.
  • Options
    Millwall for me, growing up in Greenwich it was a no-brainer, as I lived right on the border!

But plenty of Millwall fans put Palace above us, there is more shared history (i.e. same division) and i guess geography. I think the South London Press also had something to do with that. Millwall & Palace have always been their main teams, whereas for many years Charlton was not really on their patch (we had the SEL Mercury, Kentish Independent, the SLP was a South London, not South-East London, paper). So if you were an SLP reader, we were not the most obvious rival.

As for OP's original comment though, you can't have come by train to The Valley -- you'd have surely noticed that we're only a few stops & 15 mins down the train line as you past their rust heap?
  • Options
    Millwall for me.
    A replusive club watched by a vast majoirty of rancid people. And a club who have gone through a fair number of detestable players in my lifetime, and for those reasons I simply loathe them.

26 years and counting of living in various parts of south east London without coming across a single palace fan, I am sure there are a few, of course. But overall I cannot really acknowledge them any more so than a brighton, or gillingham.

• Options
    Our London rivals have to be Millwall as Palace are from Croydon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    E-cafc said:

Millwall are our true rivals in my opinion, had to put up with all of their shit in the 70`s. They claim they are not bothered about us but when we play them they sell their tickets out as if it was a cup final. The thing is, most Charlton fans know some Millwall fans and vice-versa. I can honestly say I don`t know 1 Palace fan and I am not interested in changing that. Have to say I hated every minute of it at Selhurst, even when we got promoted. From a Millwall point of view, they fucking hate losing to us(on the rare occasion it happens lol)and they can`t stand knowing that they can`t take the piss out of us these days! That really does gall them!

OP I remember that FA Cup game you are talking about. We won 2.0 and we only had 10 men! ;)

I forgot we were down to ten men, all I can remember is were shockingly poor that day, Charlton were just more up for it then us.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    We were down to 10 men mate, think it was John Humphrey who got the red card! You were a solid prem side so yes we were up for it on the day and we had a good season that year making the play-offs.
  • Options
    Fucking hate the pair of them, but I can tolerate millwall. Palace on the other hand, well, if I had the chance to bomb their ground Hiroshima style when they're playing at home, I'd do it.
  • Options
    Can't stand either of them but love playing against them, always very well anticipated games!
    Does this make me some sort of pervert?
  • Options
    As a younger fan, what is it about the ground sharing with palace that makes it such an issue in us hating them? Ok it wasn't ideal us having to play there but there's been reference on this thread to them not being nice about it compared to west ham (who I happen to hate a good deal more than palace) so what is it I'm missing? Can I take this opportunity to I hate millwall, Chelsea and Southampton too!
  • Options
    Millwall. Palace are irrelevant, pretending they are our rivals is giving them credibility and oxygen for their delusions of grandure. Stop it now children!
  • Options

Both serve a purpose

Spanners are our cnut filter
    Palarse are our spotty twat filter

I think we need to check that the filters are still working.
  • Options
    Palace are a two-bob non-entity, always have been, and 2 years in the Prem won't change that. A club that has zero identity despite an incredibly embarrassing effort to establish one artificially. Nothing to admire about them; a joke outfit from the cheerleaders and the goal music to the pre-match eagle flying ceremony and the spotty saps in their crumbling ground.

Millwall? Whilst I will never say anything good about them, at least they're nothing like the Freaks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm 45 and I hate palace with a passion. I don't really care about Millwall apart from the fact that we can't beat them.
  • Options
    Isnt Orient the closest team geographically.?
  • Options
    As someone mentioned on the shared demographic with Millwall, I grew up with quite a few of their fans, so never really hated them that much. The other clowns though are just classless simpletons. Millwall have always had That' element, we've always been seen as the family club, Palace don't know what they are. To use the family analogy, they're the cousin who copies what you do, badly. Then copies what their other cousin does badly and just can't get it right... I've also met a lot more tosspot Palace fans!
  • Options

The Valley to the Den: 6.02km

The Valley to Brisbane Road: 8.88km
  • Options
    edited August 2014

As the crow flies I think you will find it is Upton Park.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

As the crow flies I think you will find it is Upton Park.
    The Valley to Upton Park: 5.05 km
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options

Okay I knew both Charlton and Millwall are rivals but I never knew both your grounds were so close to each other (less than 5 miles?) that's roughly about the same distance between Wednesday and United.

So am I right in thinking that you see Palace as your main rival? if so why?

Are you taking the p***?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I detest Palace 10x more than Millwall.

Think the fact that we couldn't even sell our away allocation at Millwall out last season tells you that Palace are firmly in the driving seat as far as our biggest enemy is concerned.

All that shows is that most Charlton fans can't be bothered with the aggro involved in a game at the New Den...
  • Options

Okay I knew both Charlton and Millwall are rivals but I never knew both your grounds were so close to each other (less than 5 miles?) that's roughly about the same distance between Wednesday and United.

So am I right in thinking that you see Palace as your main rival? if so why?

Are you taking the p***?
    isn't he always ?