Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Never knew this...

Comments

• Options
    Palace amuse me, they can't go a month without one of their fans doing something hilarious.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Palace is football related.

Millwall is life / society related.

As I may have said before:

I hate Palace because I'm a Charlton fan

I hate Millwall because I'm a human being.

Lol. What a drama queen
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Lets just all hate the woolwich wanderers and wet spammers - united in a sea of hate , a bit like a backwards hippie philosophy.

although since coming on here i should change my # on twitter to #neverredexceptforcafc
  • Options
    I worked near Addington for years, surrounded by Palace fans, some of them were great people, and weirdly they did not indulge in finger jabbing or triumphalism with me anyway.
    However as a club they are pretty deluded as in 'great academy', 'good stadium', 'more style and class', 'great history', 'passionate' and so on. Millwall on the other hand know pretty well who they are, and they don't care.
  • Options

no ur not right ---Millwall will always be our rivals----palarse treated us like shit when we hd to share their shit hole , we paid that back by relegating them from the prem.

nearest ground to us is West Ham but the Thames is in the way.

The season after when Sheridan scored a wonder goal to win 1-0.

Yeah and so did Colin Walsh... Yard over the line and the ref never gave it
    That in the same game? can't remember that one?
    I think so OP. That was my first ever game... 90/91 I believe around September. Finished 1_0 you. I do remember that JS strike...classy player

Oh the injustice! I was hooked and have had an irrational dislike of your Massives ever since ;)
  • Options

no ur not right ---Millwall will always be our rivals----palarse treated us like shit when we hd to share their shit hole , we paid that back by relegating them from the prem.

nearest ground to us is West Ham but the Thames is in the way.

The season after when Sheridan scored a wonder goal to win 1-0.

Yeah and so did Colin Walsh... Yard over the line and the ref never gave it
    That in the same game? can't remember that one?
    I think so OP. That was my first ever game... 90/91 I believe around September. Finished 1_0 you. I do remember that JS strike...classy player

Oh the injustice! I was hooked and have had an irrational dislike of your Massives ever since ;)
    I was at that game mate, remember it being a really sunny day and crammed in that corner, funnily enough the season before we had the whole away end and brought less down.

• Options

OP in Sheffield there are just two clubs, both verging on the "big" and both with a very long history, one red and one blue. Of course you will "hate" each other in the footballing sense - and I've been in Sheffield on Derby day and there is a constant threat of violence in the air. In London there are more clubs than you can shake a stick at. Most are not "big" and have little in the way of history. There is no sense of hatred between Charlton and Orient at all for example. Similarly I don't imagine you can find it in your heart to properly hate Barnsley.

Millwall are our natural rivals. As many have said, when growing up in SE London we all had Millwall supporting mates and you never came across a Nigel. Many of us, unfortunately, even have Millwall in our extended families. Despite this, when we play Millwall there is a constant threat of violence in the air that you'd recognise. You'd think twice about singing "we are Charlton" on your way down Cold Blow Lane. I honestly can't say I've ever felt that at Palarse/Charlton derbies. If there was one club I could remove from the face of the earth it would be the stripey ones- irrational and illogical perhaps but that's how it is.

Millwall often say West Ham, Leeds and the like are their rivals, but that's just about a history of fighting. Their biggest home turnout of the season is always against us which tells you something.

Spot on BK.

First Charlton game i went to was at Selhurst in the 80's when we had to play in their away kit. Went off in the Arthur Waite, B-Mob jumping down from the seats in to the home enclosure. Not a big affair but it dispersed the Palace fans pretty quickly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you any clearer OP in understanding the answer to your question? I worked in Deptford (where Millwall were before moving), and a few work colleagues were Millwall supporters (in fact the then Millwall captain, sorry cannot remember his name, came down from Scotland in the middle of an apprenticeship, and finished it at my firm). I did go with one collegue to The Old Den to watch a pre-season friendly(?) but said nothing. I also remember watching Charlton there in the Kent Cup.
  • Options
    Not trying to over simplify but I thought palace were our rivals 'cos millwall used to come round and beat us up all the time so we went to palace and beat them up.
  • Options
    Spawny jammy millwall time filth equaliser against poxy wednesday who could have sent palace into div3 , poxy northerners
  • Options
    Stig said:

I read a brilliant post (on here?) once likening Millwall to an underachieving older brother who's turned to thuggery as the only way he'll make a name for himself. Whilst Palace are the crigingly embarrassing cousin you wish you never had. I think that just about sums it up. I wish I could find the original.

Closest I can find on here are this one, and this one from the Millwall perspective
    but neither are quite what you described.
  • Options
    Cheers @aliwibble I think that first one is the one I was referring to, though my poor memory and tendency to put my own spin on things had corrupted it in my mind ;-)
  • Options
    After us, the FIRST result I look for is Miwall's, hoping they got trounced. Hate 'em with a vengeance. Palace.......I don't really care but would love to see them in the Conference
  • Options
    spelt Charlton wrong
  • Options
    Growing up in my part of SE London in the 60/70s you were Charlton or Millwall, Palace were non entities from way out yonder.

I used to go with my mate to Millwall and he’d come to Charlton with me. I recall Millwall’s Weller Possee, Kitchener, Dunphy Cripps etc - they had a few characters then and to be honest I quite enjoyed it. I didn’t wish them any harm other than the obvious rivalry with Charlton. I do vividly recall though, being the only person in the home area laughing when Derek Doogan scored for Wolves in the last minute - sending thousands of spanners into some kind of ravenous whirlwind of hatred (to be fair Doogan found it quite amusing too) he’d been winding them up the whole game.

Meanwhile at Charlton we used to jest that Dave Shipperley owned a convalescent home, to which he’d add a new client each week with a clumsy, late, miss timed, crunching tackle. ... ‘There’s another one for the ‘Dave Shipperley convalescent home’ as some poor soul limped off. There were of course plenty of other characters at Charlton too. Charlie Wright was once bombarded with coins and sweets by one of the Geordie teams? in retaliation to a ‘dubious’ clash. Charlie picked up all the coins and sweets and distributed them back to the geordie kids at the front of the stand - save for a couple of sweets that he unwrapped and ate himself. The geordies loved him for it. In fact the following season, just before the teams ran out all you could hear was Charlie, Charlie, Charlie - and that was from the away end!

Halcyon days eh? Oh well I better go … I think matron’s coming.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Growing up in my part of SE London in the 60/70s you were Charlton or Millwall, Palace were non entities from way out yonder.

I used to go with my mate to Millwall and he’d come to Charlton with me. I recall Millwall’s Weller Possee, Kitchener, Dunphy Cripps etc - they had a few characters then and to be honest I quite enjoyed it. I didn’t wish them any harm other than the obvious rivalry with Charlton. I do vividly recall though, being the only person in the home area laughing when Derek Doogan scored for Wolves in the last minute - sending thousands of spanners into some kind of ravenous whirlwind of hatred (to be fair Doogan found it quite amusing too) he’d been winding them up the whole game.

Meanwhile at Charlton we used to jest that Dave Shipperley owned a convalescent home, to which he’d add a new client each week with a clumsy, late, miss timed, crunching tackle. ... ‘There’s another one for the ‘Dave Shipperley convalescent home’ as some poor soul limped off. There were of course plenty of other characters at Charlton too. Charlie Wright was once bombarded with coins and sweets by one of the Geordie teams? in retaliation to a ‘dubious’ clash. Charlie picked up all the coins and sweets and distributed them back to the geordie kids at the front of the stand - save for a couple of sweets that he unwrapped and ate himself. The geordies loved him for it. In fact the following season, just before the teams ran out all you could hear was Charlie, Charlie, Charlie - and that was from the away end!

Halcyon days eh? Oh well I better go … I think matron’s coming.

Sorry this is totally called for...

• Options
    Thanks @ValleyGary , amended now. Ironic as I was accusing Palace fans of always getting things wrong ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing would give me more pleasure than seeing palice go bust.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Despise palace. Complete and utter nt of a club and fans. I know we have our fair share of loons but as someone said at least we have out own identity. We don't take ourselves too seriously and we know where we stand in the football pyramid. (Biggest small club on the planet). Palace on the other hand, god those idiots make my skin itch. Footballs answer to Glee. Great analogy.
  • Options
    Thankyou for your contribution.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Welcome. I never actually had a problem with charlton. Always knew your place in South London. You've gone a bit palace the last few years though. Obsessed with how other fans view you and how big a club you are. All wet yourselves when Pulis implied that palace are the biggest club in south London at the moment... Which they are! (Doesn't make them any less ntish)
  • Options
    Millwall are scum and their divvy wannabe boys annoy me.

Pussies
  • Options
    I despise Millwall, always have, I hate everything about them from their plastic gangster, big mouthed, horse punching, idiotic fans to their cack hole dusty tool box stadium.

Palace, I hate them from the exile days, they revelled in our misfortune and treated us like 2nd class citizens and had the audacity to make out they were doing us a favour when they were just tenants there just like us!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I detest Palace 10x more than Millwall.

Think the fact that we couldn't even sell our away allocation at Millwall out last season tells you that Palace are firmly in the driving seat as far as our biggest enemy is concerned.

We didn't sell Palace out for the Dennis in the last min game. An embarrasing (even if it was on the box on a Sunday)1,500 if I remember rightly
  • Options
    The thing that puzzles me is people saying that when they grew up it was either Millwall or Charlton around them.

When I grew up in the 70s and 80s, most people I knew supported Liverpool, with a few from the major London clubs (Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham) the odd Man U etc...
  • Options

The thing that puzzles me is people saying that when they grew up it was either Millwall or Charlton around them.

When I grew up in the 70s and 80s, most people I knew supported Liverpool, with a few from the major London clubs (Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham) the odd Man U etc...

In the 50'sand 60's no one mentioned Palace