Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How do other posters speak?

When I read through the threads and comments, I find myself imagining how other posters would sound if I could hear them, instead of just reading their words. For example, I am pretty sure Henry Irving must speak very s-l-o-w-l-y and CLEARLY, projecting his voice, as if to the far reaches of a Victorian theatre, sounding like a cross between John Sessions, Kenneth Brannagh and Larry Olivier.

How do you think other posters sound?

Comments

• I live in Norfolk so Oi speak bootiful English moy man........:)

Not really - slightly posh sarf Lunden is me :)
  • I've been told I talk like Ray Winstone. Which is bollocks, because he's from East London, whereas I'm Sarf East born and bred. Admittedly though, I do sound like a commoner when I talk - and I cannot moderate my speech for love nor money - it just feels 'wrong' when I try and pronounce things properly.

I'd like to think the prejudices against accents are dying out, but I've had more than one person tell me a variation of 'I used to think you were thick' when they've got to know me.

Ah well. There are worse things. For instance, I could be thought of as a patronising, condescending prick. Oh, wait...
  • edited August 2014
    As for others.

Oggy Red - "my luvly"
    Ormiston - "he's fair dinkum"
    Henry - "RADA posh"
    Goonerhater - "diabolical liberty"
  • edited August 2014
    I speak like Orville the duck. It's a fact!
  • I speak like Orville the duck. It's a fact!

Which is weird because I actually look like Keith Harris...

• when asked where i come from and i say South London its always is that "sarrrrf London" which i always reply thats right. hate hearing my own voice (yes i know many others would agree with that) makes my toes curl. met many big hitters and famous peeps in hotels over the years always thought i should speak posher when chatting to em--would never have lasted ----you are what you are.

AFKA sounds like larry Grason
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been told I talk like Ray Winstone. Which is bollocks, because he's from East London, whereas I'm Sarf East born and bred. Admittedly though, I do sound like a commoner when I talk - and I cannot moderate my speech for love nor money - it just feels 'wrong' when I try and pronounce things properly.

I'd like to think the prejudices against accents are dying out, but I've had more than one person tell me a variation of 'I used to think you were thick' when they've got to know me.

Ah well. There are worse things. For instance, I could be thought of as a patronising, condescending prick. Oh, wait...

Not how I thought you'd sound at all. I had you down as a Reigate Café Rouge frequenter.

• I lived in Reigate for 18 wonderful months. It didn't know what had hit it. When I moved back to Croydon the town of Reigate threw a party.
  • I sound like this.........................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lodxyZvLSc0
  • Feck me Bing, you've spoken to me! ; - )

Enough people have met me or heard me speak at meetings etc but while I'm obviously articulate and funny Henry Irving is not my real name so I don't actually sound like a Victorian actor.

I'm similar to Leroy. My accent is my accent and although I work hard to consciously be aware of avoiding using terms like 'ain't', I slip into the aforementioned 'sarf London'

I reckon it is a bit of a disadvantage with my job as I work in sales, and the people I sell to are often well spoken, with neutral accents. The slips often lessen my gravitas I feel. Sometimes I think it is better to play it up, but then I'm not so sure.

I also think it was/would have been an issue when I did my LPC and having interviews for training contracts. That is definitely an industry that needs a certain approach and a way of communication. It's always difficult because I don't want people to think I have a 'chip on my shoulder' as they say, as I know people from all backgrounds work hard and succeed where I had not. However, I still think in general people do judge you and can react to your accent. Just my thoughts.
  • I've been told I sound like a cross between Danny Baker and Dennis Waterman.
  • Dave Mehmet sounds (and looks) like Alan Carr, unsurprisingly.
  • Sponsored links:

• It is an interesting experiment to tape yourself speaking and then listen to your voice played back. Most people say 'that doesn't sound like me' because the sound they hear is filtered through their skull whereas everyone else hears something different. I speak in a beautiful modulated and pleasing tone but unfortunately the bloody tape machine distorts it...
  • I sound like a cross between Brian Sewell and Danny Dyer.
  • Addickted said:

I sound like a cross between Brian Sewell and Danny Dyer.

More like a cross between Kenneth Williams and Brian Blessed
  • ValleyGary - Mark Wright
    Plaaayer - Olly Murs

• I think I've got a neutral southern accent, but I'm told I sound like a cross between Jack Dee and Angus Deayton.
  • JT said:

ValleyGary - Mark Wright

I imagine him as Dave Berry.
  • From his colourful, descriptive prose I imagine that Viewfinder speaks like Brian Sewell.

• Well, a regular if controversial poster on the Dark Side refers to me as Hyacinth Bouquet so you must make up your own minds....
  • I Sound like DCI Haskins from the Sweeney.