Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rotherham Away

Comments

• Options
    If we are still on form come this game then 1500 I'd guess, if not, about 1100.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

If we are still on form come this game then 1500 I'd guess, if not, about 1100.

hear hear
  • Options
    Spanish said:

Why has Rotherham away been put on such a restricted sale basis ? Yes it's a new ground but if we have a demand which exceeds an initial 2,338 (which judging by the way it's written on the OS, there's an option for more?) then I will be pleasantly surprised?

I don't want to re-open a can of worms here on away ticket sales but I think Charlton are making things overly complicated and risk losing sales. A fair % of away support travel by train, meaning that the earlier you get your train tickets the cheaper it is. The club are, in my opinion, being overly cautious here and unless you're prepared to bite the bullet and buy a train ticket in advance then you're likely going to get a hefty increase if you don't register high on the restricted sale basis.

When C.A.S.T. next get to meet with the club, can this be raised? I mentioned on the Brentford Away thread that one way to overcome disgruntled fans missing out on the more desirable games is by offering an incentive to buy one away ticket and select one of another selected group of matches. This is win win as it means the less popular matches will be better attended. Food for thought ?

There is no way we will sell out, will be lucky to take 1500, buy a train ticket mate.

You are right, they do not use their loaf at times regards the selling.

Last Saturday the ticket office told me the general sale for Brighton is Thursday. Why the f*** do they do that when there is not another home game to sell before Brighton. Coupled with they start a general sale two days after Derby, why did they not start the general sale on Tuesday.

Then people wonder why our away following is 'iffy'!
  • Options

I'm afraid our away following has very little to do with the ticket office.

They could send out free match tickets for all of our away games and we'd still not have an away following like, say, Leeds.

But surely you have to take into account the additional cost of travel to away games.

It's been highlighted time & time again that the purchase of an away game match ticket plus coach fare/train fare/petrol costs means a minimum of probably £50 outlay in most cases when travelling north of Watford.

The killer is that midweek games "up north" mean a day , if not two off work in order to make that journey with your example of Leeds last season being a pertinent example.

Retired fans like me & Mr F have the time to devote but not necessarily the disposable income although there is probably a decent percentage of this "category" at most away grounds.

However, free tickets for all away games would be a nice touch ...Come on Roland! You know it makes sense !

:-)

• Options
    To be fair, the club have come back very promptly. This is what they had to say on the matter :

We prioritise tickets for games where demand may outstrip supply. Our priority system is based on rewarding first and foremost fans who invest in the club itself, hence why the early stages are for 5 year VIPs, season ticket holders and Valley Gold members.

Within the priority system we take into account fans who regularly travel as this is viewed as an important service and the feedback received from most fans is that we generally get this right.

Although the Rotherham allocation was comparably large and there is some distance to travel, as we had not played them in recent seasons and with such a good start to the campaign I could not be certain around the demand for this fixture, hence why I put a priority system in place.

On your other point, I spread out the dates for the different phases for priority bookings for a couple of reasons,
    1. To ensure fans have plenty of time within each phase to arrange their tickets. When we shortened the dates in the past we had a lot of complaints where fans missed out (holiday, work commitments, could not contact the ticket office because it was busy etc.).
    2. To spread the workload over a number of days to ensure we can service the demand appropriately with the resources at our disposal in the ticket office.

I ensure that if tickets go on to general sale, then fans still have plenty of time to secure their place before the fixture. For example fans with enough away history can buy Rotherham from Wednesday 27th August or those without any history can buy from Wednesday 10th September for a Saturday 20th game.

On your point regarding securing early bird train tickets, if fans are completely confident that the priority system is too cautious and that they will be able to buy tickets at the later stages, then there is no reason why they cannot secure a train ticket early at a cheaper price, well before securing their match tickets.

I then replied with :

Many thanks for taking the time to reply so quickly. I appreciate there isn’t one solution to this issue that will accommodate all the clubs supporters.

With regards to your comments I would take issue with you on a couple of points :

Allocation of Brighton tickets.:
    When we first played Brighton 2 seasons ago, this match was oversubscribed. It was a new ground and drew a lot of interest from supporters wishing to tick off a new ground (Restrictions in place, logical). I missed this game but went last season. Last season we did not sell our allocation. This could be just coincidence or it could be that the restrictions in place discouraged supporters. Not everyone goes on a whim. I accept that those that pay money direct to the club by way of VG, VIP and / or ST need to be looked after. But does it really necessitate the club holding off general sale for 3 weeks ?? With smart phones, pads, laptops, I would think most of your clientele have the ability to be informed and make transactions, even if on holiday. As a pointer, the club announced today it had only sold 1333 out of an allocation of 2336, so just over 50%. Are you detracting supporters because of this ??

Allocation of Rotherham tickets.:
    The OS quotes we have an initial allocation of 2,338. In this I read that should this sell out, then a further batch of tickets could be made available. I understand that this is a new ground for most but importantly it is up north and consequently will distract a % of our fans. In my opinion, there is no need to place any restrictions on this match, especially as this is only a league game and it appears we can have more tickets if required. My concern is that you risk alienating support because of these restrictions.

Solutions : First and foremost you should canvass opinion from your supporters, you can do this relatively easily at home and away matches.

I think you should grade matches, just like you do for home matches. For instance, you could have 2 supporters who have been to the same number of games, say 5, the entry point for receiving beneficial terms to buy future away tickets. Why would someone who went to Fulham, Millwall, Brentford, Brighton and Watford receive the same recognition as somebody who went to Rotherham, Blackpool, Bolton, Birmingham and Huddersfield for example ??

With regards to looking after VG/ST/VIPs the club can analyse the average % that travel and calculate a number of tickets to safeguard for these categories, ie for Brighton, you could have reserved 50% and placed the other 50% to other categories.

Alternatively (and/or) you could offer for example : to get a ticket to Brentford you have to select one from one of the next 3/4 away games ?? This way, you look after those that go everywhere and you boost away attendances.

As I said at the top, I don’t think you will ever please everyone but you’d go a long way to pleasing most if you at least analysed what supporters want be they VIP/VG/ ST or Joe Bloggs who is an occasional follower. Are the new restrictions in place a knee jerk reaction to disgruntled fans who couldn’t get a Brentford ticket ??

I hope you take my comments on board constructively, thank again.

Which drew this response :

I will indeed take on board your comments constructively
  • Options
    There has to be an element of simplicity in the system. If it becomes too complicated you risk putting people off, as any good marketeer knows, if you consumer doesn't understand your product they won't purchase it.
  • Options
    Fair enough, we live in a democracy, we're all entitled to our opinions. For me I think there are two clear examples here. Brighton, unnecessary restriction, leading to the number still unsold and in my opinion will lead to this not selling out. Rotherham is overkill to the extreme. We'll be lucky to sell 2,000. Would love to be proven wrong on this.

Personally I don't see my suggestions as complicated. I think it's important to recognise the difference between going to watch Charlton away at Fulham and that of trekking to Doncaster midweek for eg.. The trouble is some matches (and I don't include myself in this) sees many supporters miss out who do the less favourable matches away and that is a great shame. Not everyone wants (can afford) to be a ST, VP and/or VG. You know yourself Covered End as I regurlarly see you oop north, those the do the less favourable games...

Anyway, as I said, just wanted to put this out there. I have no doubt the club will continue to do what it deems fair/best. You can't complain if you dont ask !! COYRS !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With Brighton, there was massive demand in the first season, with many people (like myself) missing out. Last season there was smaller demand (I got a ticket). This season, the demand may decline again, seeing that we were only there 4 months ago, and everyone who wanted to go in April could get tickets.
  • Options
    Henry, yes it was Dave C and I am very grateful he took the time to respond to a fan. Quite often football clubs can and do ignore this kind of inquiry, its not as if we will take our business elsewhere.

I genuinely don't think I'm missing any point amigo. Are we seriously suggesting that VP, VG and ST need 3 weeks just because they may be at work or on holiday ?? And how much work are we putting on the club ?? Come on mate, that is overkill in the extreme and as I state is probably a contributing factor to the number of tickets sold to date and will have an impact on total sales. Do you really think Rotherham needs to be on a restricted sale basis. You've been a Charlton fan for a few years, when have we ever had this kind of interest in a new stadium like this in the second/third tier of English football ?? Derby, Sunderland, MK Dons, Cardiff for example... I doubt any of those got anywhere near to selling out. That is all I am saying.

I'm not sure either that I'm suggesting people pleading poverty (although now you mention it for VG to have any impact you'd need it alongside a ST so then the £ number starts to be more significant (for some people).

It's just an observation. What harm is there to poll the supporters to get a balanced opinion on how the club handles away ticket allocation ?
  • Options
    Spanish said:

Henry, yes it was Dave C and I am very grateful he took the time to respond to a fan. Quite often football clubs can and do ignore this kind of inquiry, its not as if we will take our business elsewhere.

I genuinely don't think I'm missing any point amigo. Are we seriously suggesting that VP, VG and ST need 3 weeks just because they may be at work or on holiday ?? And how much work are we putting on the club ?? Come on mate, that is overkill in the extreme and as I state is probably a contributing factor to the number of tickets sold to date and will have an impact on total sales. Do you really think Rotherham needs to be on a restricted sale basis. You've been a Charlton fan for a few years, when have we ever had this kind of interest in a new stadium like this in the second/third tier of English football ?? Derby, Sunderland, MK Dons, Cardiff for example... I doubt any of those got anywhere near to selling out. That is all I am saying.

I'm not sure either that I'm suggesting people pleading poverty (although now you mention it for VG to have any impact you'd need it alongside a ST so then the £ number starts to be more significant (for some people).

It's just an observation. What harm is there to poll the supporters to get a balanced opinion on how the club handles away ticket allocation ?

I think it would be good to ask fans but not another poll please.

And which fans? Those that travel away? All the fans?

You think three weeks is too long and I tend to agree but as Dave said

"When we shortened the dates in the past we had a lot of complaints where fans missed out (holiday, work commitments, could not contact the ticket office because it was busy etc.)."

So there is another side to it. I think the number of home games during sales is also a factor as some people live a long way from the Valley but prefer to buy face to face. Also how many other away games there are and staggering them so spread the load across fewer staff on the phones/windows.

Not saying it can't be improved but as Dave says they also have to think about they end of things and what resources they have. The IT is said to be being updated and that could make a huge difference especially to on-line sales.

You did mention people not being able to afford VG. Yes you need a ST too but again I would expect most local fans who can afford to go away a lot to also be able to afford a ST. maybe I'm wrong and it's people choice how they spend their money but I don't see how the two add up.
  • Options
    You run a poll at both Home and Away games and/or send an email/letter/online OS to those who the club has on its database, its not difficult and if it improved things then all the better. Then you'd get a balanced opinion.

Ultimately some genuine fans are missing out just because they're not in the categories mentioned. I expect the team appreciate all the support they get on the road, all the more reason to try and make sure you're offering the best possible / fairest service.
  • Options
    Spanish said:

You run a poll at both Home and Away games and/or send an email/letter/online OS to those who the club has on its database, its not difficult and if it improved things then all the better. Then you'd get a balanced opinion.

I'm not sure you would.

I go to five to eight away games a season and I think the current system is pretty good. My opinion but others would say "he doesn't go every week so whose he to say what should happen".

And what about the vast majority of people who don't go away on a regular basis or never go away. Should their views have the same weight as those that do?
    Spanish said:

Ultimately some genuine fans are missing out just because they're not in the categories mentioned. .

How often though? Brentford but when else can a fan get an away ticket? Bournemouth maybe but they are both local-ish games with small capacities so more likely to sell out. That's not something the Club can control although I think they should have offered MORE restrictions on the Brentford tickets to include away games from last year in the criteria

And it does again beg the question why are they not in those categories? Dave C has said they prioritise those who contribute to the Club directly and I don't think that is wrong.

• Options
    edited August 2014

Spanish said:

I'm not sure you would.

I go to five to eight away games a season and I think the current system is pretty good. My opinion but others would say "he doesn't go every week so whose he to say what should happen".

And what about the vast majority of people who don't go away on a regular basis or never go away. Should their views have the same weight as those that do?
    Spanish said:

Ultimately some genuine fans are missing out just because they're not in the categories mentioned. .

How often though? Brentford but when else can a fan get an away ticket? Bournemouth maybe but they are both local-ish games with small capacities so more likely to sell out. That's not something the Club can control although I think they should have offered MORE restrictions on the Brentford tickets to include away games from last year in the criteria

And it does again beg the question why are they not in those categories? Dave C has said they prioritise those who contribute to the Club directly and I don't think that is wrong.

@HenryIrving I was in one of those categories for Brentfod but unable to get to the ground to purchase a ticket before late afternoon on the day when they were available to me. I don't do on line purchases and had a prior engagement early on. As was my bad luck the allocation sold out by about mid morning. With at least 10 away, trips seven up North (Yorkshire x5, Wigan & Boro) to my name last season not to mention Oxford and Brum suffice to say I was gutted especially when some of those fans that got tickets were not as deserving. The fact that I was able to watch a streaming of the game softened the blow on this occasion. Good on @Spanish though for raising this with the club to take another look at the system. I appreciate you can't keep all the people happy all the the time but there is always room for improvement especially for those that put the miles in away from home.
    Edit; I've got my ticket for Brighton and don't doubt I'll get one for Rotherham :-)
  • Options

I'm afraid our away following has very little to do with the ticket office.

They could send out free match tickets for all of our away games and we'd still not have an away following like, say, Leeds.

Fair comment to be honest.
  • Options
    I'll start a poll for you Spanish :-)

Please put your name down here, if you want to go to Rotherham, but because of the restrictions in place, will not be going. (Presumably, because it will be too expensive or too late, when you can be certain of getting a ticket ......
  • Options
    Operation Rotherham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of interest , how much are the tickets?
  • Options
    Cheers RC.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    At the end of the day we possibly have two games a season where there is a problem with the distribution of tickets.
    Anybody who has a knowledge of the numbers we take to away games, games like Rotherham people should just use their loaf and realise that there is very little chance of us coming anywhere near close to selling out.
    If the worst did happen sit in the home end.
  • Options
    I imagine we will get all this stuff when we play the spanners, and of course as long as we got the ENTIRE end there we will not sell this one out either.
  • Options
    we sold the entire end at Smallwall two years ago even tho we had to walk from New cross
  • Options
    I'm not understanding the problem, clearly. Seems like a lot of fuss for nothing to me. Would definitely rather the club were overly cautious...
  • Options

we sold the entire end at Smallwall two years ago even tho we had to walk from New cross

Didn't think we were given all the bottom tier, may be wrong.
  • Options

Well done the Ticket office (Dave C I assume) for replying.

I think, Spanish, you are overlooking two key points made

"On your other point, I spread out the dates for the different phases for priority bookings for a couple of reasons,
    1. To ensure fans have plenty of time within each phase to arrange their tickets. When we shortened the dates in the past we had a lot of complaints where fans missed out (holiday, work commitments, could not contact the ticket office because it was busy etc.).
    2. To spread the workload over a number of days to ensure we can service the demand appropriately with the resources at our disposal in the ticket office.

You also said

"Not everyone wants (can afford) to be a ST, VP and/or VG." That's fair enough and no one is forced to pay for those but if people can afford to travel away on a regular basis from SE London or Kent then I suspect that could also afford VG. It is there choice but I find it hard when some people plead poverty to pay £10 a month for VG but can afford £100 twice a month for an away game.

" £100 twice a month for an away game " ?

That's surely a bit steep even if you travel by stretch limo !

• Options
    edited August 2014

At the end of the day we possibly have two games a season where there is a problem with the distribution of tickets.
    Anybody who has a knowledge of the numbers we take to away games, games like Rotherham people should just use their loaf and realise that there is very little chance of us coming anywhere near close to selling out.
    If the worst did happen sit in the home end.

I appreciate this mate but we don't want ANY problems if they can be avoided and today's exchange of email with the club can't do any harm can it, if it raises the profile for consideration. If there is a hardcore of say 250 away followers most of those will probably be in the preferential category anyway but it's those who are not, who are being hard done by, which is not right. I'm not going to get into the side effect of increasing away numbers because I doubt there will be much affect if any, I just don't want a repeat of the Brentford fiasco at all and Bournemouth last year and the year before springs to mind.

I would hope it is not a case of certain posters refusing to open up to the possibilities of a different approach because their own situation is one of I'm alright Jack so why change it. I would like to see away ticket priority going to those with 10 or more away games in the last 12 months then those with 5 and only then to the prioritised categories who should only be allowed two tickets each until general release.