Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mackay and Moody

Comments

• I think an awful lot of Brit managers are busy on their computers tonight deleting messages and quietly phoning their mates to ensure they do the same thing at the other end. The Mackay/Moody texts simply reflect what they normally think and suppress when they work with asian/black/footballers. I don't come across this in my profession but in w/c factories I bet it is still very common to use these insulting terms. Our Bermondsey cousins use such abusive language to their own players (ask N’Guessian!) let alone the opposition. For what it's worth they should fully apologize and in time be forgiven...they have not killed anyone just behaved like neanderthals.

But factory workers aren't paid £2-3m pa nor expected to be high profile media-savvy figureheads in addition to their 'regular duties'.
  • I think an awful lot of Brit managers are busy on their computers tonight deleting messages and quietly phoning their mates to ensure they do the same thing at the other end.

Sadly, I think you're probably right.

And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Mackay back in a job by the end of the season after a few more rounds of 'apologies'.
  • edited August 2014
    I don't rate Mackay that much as a manager. He managed to get. Cardiff promoted with something like a £18m loss and with debts of c. £70m and even then it took a couple of seasons to achieve it.

I don't agree with AFKA, I'd have been gutted if he'd turned up at The Valley this summer.

Even if there is nothing in some of the claims about missing money I'd be very surprised if anyone would want to give him a job based on his track record, let along with the baggage that now comes with him.

Players are completely different. Evans, and Suarez, are extremely talented in their fields. I can see why someone would take a gamble on a backlash from appointing them, but an 'average' manager who bought success at a very high price and then mismanaged the money and fell out, publicly, with his boss (the owner) - not so much.

I agree with NYA that their careers in high profile football are done. Curbs, who has a fantastic track record in football, can't get another job because he took West Ham to court. If clubs can pass on him they can pass on the chap that sent text messages that are completely indefensible!

For the record I don't really care if they get another job or not. I don't approave of what they did but I'm realistic enough to accept that football has almost no morals, or integrary, at any level, but I just don't think anyone will want them again.
  • What is Ron Akinson and Rodney Marsh doing nowadays.
  • As posted on the other thread the statement from the LMA is unbelievable. They are trying to pass it off as 'banter'

• What is Ron Akinson and Rodney Marsh doing nowadays.

I'm a Celebrity?
  • Are they really? What both - together? One more reason for not watching those types of programmes.
  • Today's news is tomorrow's chip paper and all that. Hoddle was widely condemned for his barmy views on disabled people, didn't take him long to find work at high profile clubs.

This stuff is more offensive, I can't imagine any reasonably big club will want to be the ones to provide his route back into the game. He'll get something in League 1, lower Championship maybe, if he does alright there he'll be able to work his way up again.

I don't think comparing with the likes of Ron Atkinson and Rodney Marsh is valid - pundits grow on trees, talented managers don't. There's no gain to anyone in sticking Big Ron back on the telly, he's not gonna double your viewing figures or anything. However, if someone thinks that Mackay will get them promoted then they'll give him a chance. Sadly.
  • edited August 2014
    Vincent Tan has got an amazing sense of timing. He must have been sitting on this whilst he was a national joke last season but chose to wait for his moment. Revenge is obviously a dish served cold in the Tan household. I bet there are a few managers around the leagues who are having a sleepless night right now.
  • Be good to have a serious thread on this and not go off course like the other one.

Pretty serious stuff in this, biggest expose for a while.

So much in football we as fans just never know about. If Roland had secured Malky during the summer for example, every single one of us would have been on cloud nine.

Cheers Colin
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2014

Vincent Tan has got an amazing sense of timing. He must have been sitting on this whilst he was a national joke last season but chose to wait for his moment. Revenge is obviously a dish served cold in the Tan household. I bet there are a few managers around the leagues who are having a sleepless night right now.

Everyone has learned a lesson.

DON'T F1!K WITH VINCENT TAN.
  • edited August 2014
    Although I do not condone what was said, some of the fake outrage in here is quite laughable to be honest.

"Disgusted of Bexley"
  • edited August 2014
    bobmunro said:

Just sent this to the Chief Executive of the LMA - I won't hold my breath for a reply but I'll post it should one materialise

Dear Mr Bevan

I read with incredulity and disgust your associations press statement on Mackay.

Trying to play down explicitly racist comments by one of your members as not much more than banter and when he was under pressure is, quite frankly, a disgrace to your profession. To be frank it doesn't surprise me and I use the word 'profession' reservedly as that word is hardly appropriate to describe the various collection of neadertals that roam football using 'that's what happens in football' as their excuse, as if they are above the law.

Three out of 10,000 texts is ok then is it? Racism is fine as long as it rarely manifests itself?

I repeat, your association is an absolute disgrace.

Yours sincerely

Robert Munro

@bobmunro ~Looks like your letter worked!

Sky News: League Managers Association apologises for wording of Malky Mackay statement saying some of the wording was "inappropriate"

New LMA statement:
    The LMA apologises for some of its wording, in its release yesterday, which was inappropriate and has been perceived to trivialise matters of a racist, sexist or homophobic nature. That was certainly not our intention.

It is beyond argument that any comments that are discriminatory, even used in private, are totally unacceptable. The LMA remains absolutely aware of our responsibility to the game and to promote and uphold the highest standards of behaviour.

The LMA will not be commenting further on the allegations relating to Malky Mackay whilst The FA conducts its investigation, other than to repeat that both the LMA and Malky will be cooperating fully.

We will continue to work with all of the game's stakeholders to address the important issues of respect and discriminatory behaviour in all its forms.
  • Harry Redknapp's view: 'He hasn't murdered anyone, he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile'
  • WSS said:

Harry Redknapp's view: 'He hasn't murdered anyone, he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile'

unfair to only quote that one line

""What I would say is that Malky Mackay has made a big mistake," Redknapp said.

"I don't know the other lad (Moody) but what they have done is not right. Malky is a great lad, a family man and a real football man, he has made mistakes and people make mistakes in life.

"Suddenly everyone is an angel, he made a big mistake the lad but it shouldn't finish his life. He is a good manager and I feel bad for what he has done but I bet no one is feeling as bad as him or his family today.

"I'm not condoning what he has done but show me someone who has ever made a mistake and I will show you a liar. He hasn't murdered anyone, he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile."
  • Fair enough - just copied a tweet from a few of the journalists.

Still a stupid thing to say from his POV regardless of everything else he says.
  • WSS said:

Harry Redknapp's view: 'He hasn't murdered anyone, he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile'

Harry's 3 commandments. Roll up your window and wind your neck in you twat.
  • WSS said:

Fair enough - just copied a tweet from a few of the journalists.

Still a stupid thing to say from his POV regardless of everything else he says.

I agree the oft-repeated defence of racism etc that "it isn't murder, rape or paedophilia so why are you making a fuss" is poor but HR did say what M and M did was not right.
  • Redknapps statement is a lot better than the LMA's!
  • Chizz said:

bobmunro said:

Just sent this to the Chief Executive of the LMA - I won't hold my breath for a reply but I'll post it should one materialise

Dear Mr Bevan

I read with incredulity and disgust your associations press statement on Mackay.

Trying to play down explicitly racist comments by one of your members as not much more than banter and when he was under pressure is, quite frankly, a disgrace to your profession. To be frank it doesn't surprise me and I use the word 'profession' reservedly as that word is hardly appropriate to describe the various collection of neadertals that roam football using 'that's what happens in football' as their excuse, as if they are above the law.

Three out of 10,000 texts is ok then is it? Racism is fine as long as it rarely manifests itself?

I repeat, your association is an absolute disgrace.

Yours sincerely

Robert Munro

@bobmunro ~Looks like your letter worked!

Sky News: League Managers Association apologises for wording of Malky Mackay statement saying some of the wording was "inappropriate"

New LMA statement:
    The LMA apologises for some of its wording, in its release yesterday, which was inappropriate and has been perceived to trivialise matters of a racist, sexist or homophobic nature. That was certainly not our intention.

It is beyond argument that any comments that are discriminatory, even used in private, are totally unacceptable. The LMA remains absolutely aware of our responsibility to the game and to promote and uphold the highest standards of behaviour.

The LMA will not be commenting further on the allegations relating to Malky Mackay whilst The FA conducts its investigation, other than to repeat that both the LMA and Malky will be cooperating fully.

We will continue to work with all of the game's stakeholders to address the important issues of respect and discriminatory behaviour in all its forms.
    I'm sure mine wasn't the only email he received!
  • Sponsored links:

• Say what you like about Redknapp but he is an equal oppurtunity crook, as long as your willing to pay his dogs fair share then your signed no matter where your from. ;-)
  • WSS said:

"I don't know the other lad (Moody) but what they have done is not right. Malky is a great lad, a family man and a real football man, he has made mistakes and people make mistakes in life.

"Suddenly everyone is an angel, he made a big mistake the lad but it shouldn't finish his life. He is a good manager and I feel bad for what he has done but I bet no one is feeling as bad as him or his family today.

"I'm not condoning what he has done but show me someone who has ever made a mistake and I will show you a liar. He hasn't murdered anyone, he hasn't raped anyone and he is not a paedophile."
    Henry is that a typo. did he say ever or never?

In the grand scheme it doesn't matter but it does make the statement a little silly if he got that word wrong.
  • WSS said:

Henry is that a typo. did he say ever or never?

In the grand scheme it doesn't matter but it does make the statement a little silly if he got that word wrong.
    cut and pasted from the Independent so not sure.
  • edited August 2014
    Redknapp is spot on. For those saying they hope Mackay should be "unemployable" are going way over the top - I hope you never make mistakes in life.

Paul Mortimer speaking live on Sky Sports about this.
  • edited August 2014
    cafctom said:

Redknapp is spot on. For those saying they hope Mackay should be "unemployable" are going way over the top - I hope you never make thousands of racist, homophobic and sexist comments over a period of several years.

Fixed it for you
  • cafctom said:

Redknapp is spot on. For those saying they hope Mackay should be "unemployable" are going way over the top - I hope you never make mistakes in life.

What's he saying/said?
  • cafctom said:

• re moody/mackay behaviour

maybe theres some kind of comparisons to be drawn here with the english game and foreign coaches ... we are still so far behind other countries as far the number of coaches in the game and comparable mindsets ...could you imagine Arsene Wenger caught up in something like this ? but really the texts expose such a puerile mindset from 2 supposedly responsible men near the top of the game (not to mention earning vast salaries)

can anyone confirm what kind of professional qualifications/memberships these 2 hold ? the point being that their behaviour should be compliant with same (I guess LMA doesnt have some kind of membership code of Ethics)

this is just all leaving me a little sad for our Game but unfortunately not suprised

• edited August 2014
    cafctom said:

I think the sentiment is unemployable in a management position, not in any job ever. In my opinion that's right, since as a manager he's being entrusted with peoples livelihoods and has demonstrated that privately he's not just judging them purely on ability etc.

Saying he's unemployable now doesn't necessarily have to do with a moral judgement either - the fact is that even if he gets "rehabilitated" some players and staff simply won't respect or want to work with him, which impacts how well he can his job.
  • Chizz said:

cafctom said:

Redknapp is spot on. For those saying they hope Mackay should be "unemployable" are going way over the top - I hope you never make thousands of racist, homophobic and sexist comments over a period of several years.

Fixed it for you
    As far as I understand, he hasn't made thousands of such comments. The fact that he has made a small handful doesn't take away from the fact that it is wrong before anyone suggests that.

By saying he should be "unemployable", it is implied that the man should never work again and his family should consequently suffer for the rest of their lives as a result. Malky should have thought about that beforehand, but I still think statements such as "he should never work again" are a bit far fetched.