Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Derby 1 Charlton 0 - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Feel a bit sorry for Pope now, a rule that every ref ignores and will ignore again at this weekends games has seen him punished and us eliminated.

Ref has done the right thing it would seem but when as a sport will we actually start seeing all officials using the same rulebook every game, rather then picking and choosing their personal "interpretation" seemingly at random each game.

• Options
    Red god's memory is spot on. Also that was the first time it was given as the law had only been introduced the month before and petterson looked bemused,

To Paulie and Fanny, Hamer seeing red at orient after 6 mins for touching the ball outside the area was deemed a goal scoring opportunity. The law was altered for keepers when a certain goalie slid out of his area and was sent off.
    The powers that be decided this was too draconian, and a yellow should suffice.

If on the other hand Pope held on to the ball longer than 10 seconds i would be amazed if he was not warned prior
    as i have not seen this implemented for years when it was a 6 second rule.

• Options
    http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Dream-debut-Calero-late-strike-gives-Derby-County/story-22829728-detail/story.html
    And no mention of the free kick which vexed us so much. I thought it clearly upset our shape and led to their goal.
  • Options
    also the Pope incident is not on the Football League highlights
  • Options
    Headphones Norm was there.
  • Options
    He always is.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Real hardcore and top bloke is Norm, he loves it when he's got his headphones on and you ask him how Charlton are getting on, not :-)
  • Options
    I wasn't there but in theory there should be no confusion over the decision. If it was indirect then it had to be for time wasting, but then it should have been taken inside the box. If it was for handball it would be a direct fk just outside the bx. How can two completely different offences and scenarios become so confused?

Saying that don't really care too much about the result. All part of the ongoing process of change which is still to early to determine how good we are or will become this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    30 seconds in. Free kick is taken from just inside the area, and as it's also indirect then it has to be for time wasting not handball.
    Saying that it wasn't really the main factor leading to the goal. Messing up trying to run the ball out with 3 players around you did.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-J-EysLbA
  • Options
    Was that Igor picking up the charged down loose ball, trying to run with it just outside the box and being closed down? With no outlet, should've cleared his lines in that position or toed the ball into space beyond those 2 defenders and hared after it.

Very strong run by their number 9 to set up the goalscorer.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Had a dream last night that we were thrashed 5-0 by Derby! So I got up this morning feeling very nervous. Disappointed to see that we did lose but I felt somewhat relieved it was not a result as embarrassing as in my dream... Like almost everyone else, I think the league is much more important and I'd be absolutely gutted if any of our players got injured in these cup games.
  • Options
    Swings and Roundabouts. Got away with a pentalty not given against us on Saturday and not had the rub on the green on a referee's decision last night. Part and parcel of football
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Swings and Roundabouts. Got away with a pentalty not given against us on Saturday and not had the rub on the green on a referee's decision last night. Part and parcel of football

Unless you're a Hudder's or Wednesday fan in which case it's a constant conspiracy and you never benefit.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Bob Peeters:

"I don’t think the ref fancied extra-time, I think he needed to go home to his missus!"

While it might be too early to know how he'll shape up as a coach when things get tough, it does seem he at least has a sense of humour!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

WSS said:

Bob Peeters:

"I don’t think the ref fancied extra-time, I think he needed to go home to his missus!"

While it might be too early to know how he'll shape up as a coach when things get tough, it does seem he at least has a sense of humour!
    Hmm... Not that I mind, I think it's great, but don't managers get fined for comments like that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

thenewbie said:

WSS said:

Bob Peeters:

Hmm... Not that I mind, I think it's great, but don't managers get fined for comments like that?
    Don't worry, Roland will take care of that.

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

thenewbie said:

WSS said:

Bob Peeters:

Nailed on certainty, I would have said.

Equally certain is that the "authorities" will make no effort whatsoever to explain the ref's decision to the paying customers, while continuing to decry the average fan's ignorance of the laws.
  • Options

To me Brighton away is far more important than the cup

As oohaah said. How comes last season a cup run was crucial, yet this season it doesn't matter ?

• Options
    Did this what rangers said, concentrate on the cup now we are out of the league
  • Options
    I have seen other keepers given a yellow for time wasting and there be no free kick given. Is the rule different when kicking from hands rather than a goal kick?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Last year a cup run was important for FFP this season not , I mean look at mk dons cashing in on that big tie......

The cup run was a welcome distraction from a nasty relegation battle which threatened to send the club back several years.

On the financial side Winning through to the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds of the FA cup guarantees a televised quarter final and c£1m in TV, gate and prize monies. Plus another £1m+ if you make it to a Wembley semi... even if you lose!
    I haven't looked at the league cup finances but
    I expect they are significantly less, and with more games to play before the real money kicks in. Right now I think we have a better but thinner squad.
    Last week I would have taken three points in the league and a loss last night every time.
    Brighton (a) is important because it comes at the end of what was initially perceived as a tough set of opening fixtures - how many points did fans predict on this site before the start? Between 4 and 7?

From my own observations of three league games (not Huddersfield away), we need playing time but we need an injury to Vetokele or Gudmundsson like a hole in the head...that's why the league cup is, to me, a risk without too much reward.

By January we will know where we are in the table and what the club transfer policy is for that window...if we are just a few points off the play-offs should the club secure the services of more (better) players? Or should they wait until the summer when the youngest squad in the Championship is a year older?

Perhaps this (and the third round draw) will determine the clubs attitude to the 2015 FA Cup.

Personally I've now seen four losing FACup quarter finals - Old Trafford, Bolton ( on the big screen) Boro and now Sheffield Utd....And would love to see CAFC finally win one and then turn out at Wembley.

To me Brighton away is far more important than the cup

As oohaah said. How comes last season a cup run was crucial, yet this season it doesn't matter ?

• Options

I have seen other keepers given a yellow for time wasting and there be no free kick given. Is the rule different when kicking from hands rather than a goal kick?

I think it has to be as the yellow at a goal kick is given before the ball is in play, whereas in kicking from hands it is in play and so I can't see any alternative for re-starting play other than a free kick to the other side.

Incidentally, the ref spoke to Pope as the players came off the field at half-time. Can't think what else he would have been saying other than telling him to speed up.
  • Options
    Had we beaten Derby, it would have been Reading at home. Yawn.
  • Options

Had we beaten Derby, it would have been Reading at home. Yawn.

Yawn? Maybe, but a winnable game. They'll be at least seven teams from outside the Premier League in the last sixteen. Then it begins to get very interesting. No guarantees, obviously, but you need to roll the dice.