Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester United

Comments

• Options
    Huskaris said:

As someone who is more concerned about British football than laughing at someone for the team they support (and don't worry, anyone that makes fun of me for supporting Charlton is made to look very foolish) I would actually prefer to see united do well.

In recent years the German leagues have really become impressive, for me, I always want the premier league to be the best league on earth and I think man united need yo be up there for that. We need a good 4 horse race every season in my opinion. Having said that I never smile when they win, I just look at the league table and expect them to be up there.

On another note... Van Gaal. He has lost it all in a month. He had the chance to go down as one of the greatest managers in history. He could have won the world cup with the Netherlands and then gone on to properly steady the ship at united and become the next Ferguson. That bubble has burst pretty explosively for the guy.

The major difference being that in the German Leagues you mostly have German players playing for the top teams, whereas that aint the case in the Prem anymore. TBH, i dont give a damn about the Premier League , as it doesnt produce very many English players of note anymore - the top 4 just go out and buy any old Johnny Foreigner for their teams which stifles home grown talent.
    (taking note that we fielded 9 different nationalities in most of our games so far).
  • Options
    I'm pleased Man United lost...but sad it was to MK Dons
  • Options

Huskaris said:

As someone who is more concerned about British football than laughing at someone for the team they support (and don't worry, anyone that makes fun of me for supporting Charlton is made to look very foolish) I would actually prefer to see united do well.

In recent years the German leagues have really become impressive, for me, I always want the premier league to be the best league on earth and I think man united need yo be up there for that. We need a good 4 horse race every season in my opinion. Having said that I never smile when they win, I just look at the league table and expect them to be up there.

On another note... Van Gaal. He has lost it all in a month. He had the chance to go down as one of the greatest managers in history. He could have won the world cup with the Netherlands and then gone on to properly steady the ship at united and become the next Ferguson. That bubble has burst pretty explosively for the guy.

The major difference being that in the German Leagues you mostly have German players playing for the top teams, whereas that aint the case in the Prem anymore. TBH, i dont give a damn about the Premier League , as it doesnt produce very many English players of note anymore - the top 4 just go out and buy any old Johnny Foreigner for their teams which stifles home grown talent.
    (taking note that we fielded 9 different nationalities in most of our games so far).
    I agree - I don't really support one league over another. I don't really care which league is considered the "best" as that's a completely subjective definition anyway. I got far more pleasure from watching Athletico Madrid almost win the League and Champions League last season than I did from watching any of the "top" English sides.

I probably support most (not all!) English sides against foreign opposition but I wouldn't go as far as saying I want them to be strong teams so that the Premier League is perceived as being better.
  • Options
    I'll say one thing for them.

I think their "match-going" fans have been superb since their fall from grace. Felt they gave Moyes good support when things weren't going well last season (ignore the plane stuff), and those watching last night would have seen sustained defiance singing for their club in the last ten minutes after being utterly humiliated.
  • Options
    The worry for their fans must be despite all the money spent that Man U still look a long way from being a top 4 side for now.

• Options
    I am pleased that Manchester United got thrashed, for which there is simply no excuse. Maybe they will get a bit of humility, and realise they are not the only football club in the entire world.
    I am irritated a bit that it was MK Dons however, Wimbledon and all that.
    But I am also glad, because we have never lost to MK Dons...they have.
  • Options
    Can only see it get worse before it gets better.

LVG ,s biggest liability as a club manager is his inability to delegate. As the Dutch say, what's the difference between LVG and God? God knows he is not LVG.

Most unbalanced squad I've ever seen. Oddles of attacking midfielders yet noodles for ball winners.

LVG isn't winning games whilst he rigidly sticks to a system that hasn't seen much success in our leagues.

ADM won't do anything to change their immediate fortunes as he isn't a ball winner. 60m is robbery, for just a bit more they could have got Kroos, Balotelli and Khaderia. Put those 3 in the team.

Feel sorry for their fans as the Glazers have simply stole their money. As Scholes says himself, wtf is he doing in the team aged 38.

You got to make a team greater than the sum of its parts. United got total rubbish at the bafk and Def midfield if you are talking CL level.

A policy of signing other teams young English players has backfired spectaculary for the last few years. Zaha, Jones, Smalling, Young - would you pay 100M for these plAyers?

United won't rise again - they are locked under a tripled-Glazer glass ceiling
  • Options
    The people (and journos) that are now declaring van Gaal a clown are almost exclusively the same bunch that thought he was a genius after the spain game. Idiots.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Foolish words indeed

Next generation of Chicharito, Obertan, 2 Da Silvas and Smalling. Great!

Their stinky policy of buying any young player who bursts onto the scene with 20 good games has always pissed me off. I mean Nick Powell from Crewe? Who does that benefit? Neither the player nor the club. Same with Zaha, they buy these players just so they don't go to an Everton or Spurs and potentially make Uniteds rivals stronger.

I realise it's a policy which might work with enough cash thrown out it but it is skanky and does nothing for a good domestic competition.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I love charlton, but my late dad was a united fan ever since he landed in England in the sixties. It breaks my heart to see them do badly, but also makes me smile seeing a united thread on charlton's page. Hated adored but never ignored.

What hurt me the most was the lack of passion and commitment the young players as well as our seasoned pros had. This charlton team could've easily scored six!! Vetokele would have a field day.

The youngsters especially did a disservice to themselves. They embarrassed the club, the fans and themselves. Most of that team won't play for united again...

Can't believe my first post is about united lol. They'll be back against Burnley.
  • Options
    I agree with the above post. I thought MKD played an average League 1 game & Man U played like a non league team.
    I'd like to think Charlton would have put 6 past them and said so last night.
  • Options
    As bad as having tons of plastic fans, isn't that part of the incentive for teams to become big.
  • Options
    Is DMC at the top of this page David Moyes Cavorting, aha aha
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I am pleased that Manchester United got thrashed, for which there is simply no excuse. Maybe they will get a bit of humility, and realise they are not the only football club in the entire world.
    I am irritated a bit that it was MK Dons however, Wimbledon and all that.
    But I am also glad, because we have never lost to MK Dons...they have.

If by we you mean Charlton we lost to them in 2011
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Feel sorry for their fans

Hilarious.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    'll say one thing for them.

I think their "match-going" fans have been superb since their fall from grace. Felt they gave Moyes good support when things weren't going well last season (ignore the plane stuff), and those watching last night would have seen sustained defiance singing for their club in the last ten minutes after being utterly humiliated.
    As much as I've always detested them they've always had a cracking away support which I actually believe is harder when you expect and do win every single game nearly.

I bet a lot of them are actually loving it now. I worked with a match- going manc and for about 5 years he was desperate for them to not make the champions league to reduce the "shit support they have accumulated the last 10 yrs and travel to different places"

I never actually believed it would happen and now don't bloody work with him. Typical.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    se9addick said:

sam3110 said:

Benatia, Mangala, Luiz all central defenders that have moved this summer, a position Manure are desperately short of, and they've done nothing about it (Rojo and Blind, if he signs, didn't even play CB in the WC)

Ah well, we still have a prominent top 4, this season it reads Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal

I'm astonished they didn't at least go for Vlaar, would have cost 1/3 the price of of Di Maria and improved them much more.
    Ron Vlaar of Aston Villa? He's an average defender, no better than what they have already. And he wouldn't cost 10m, let alone a third of the price of Di Maria!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The defenders always seem to cop a lot of flak (with good reason) but how the fook does Darren Fletcher get anywhere near their starting eleven, when they were brilliant I always thought he looked a weak link. Now they are average he is getting shown for the more than limited player he is, I can't think of another team in the Prem (outside the 3 promoted teams) where he would get a starting place.
  • Options
    Hate doesn't even come close. They need to do a Leeds,and take all their useless plastic crap fans with 'em
  • Options
    Van Gaal has been in charge for three games - it may be just a touch premature to write him off just yet.
  • Options

Van Gaal has been in charge for three games - it may be just a touch premature to write him off just yet.

Well he's been there a while now.
    Spent silly money but hasn't improved the team much imho.
    Struggle to get his tactics.
    Just shows Moyes wasn't as bad as people reckon.
  • Options

Well he's been there a while now.
    Spent silly money but hasn't improved the team much imho.
    Struggle to get his tactics.
    Just shows Moyes wasn't as bad as people reckon.
    Imagine the stick Moyes would have got if that was him in charge tonight
  • Options
    What was the Man U result tonight?
  • Options
    They drew 0-0.

Van Gaal is leading them to Champions League football. That's a success for them.
  • Options
    0-0 wow, cheers Callum.
  • Options
    01 de Gea
    25 A Valencia
    04 Jones
    05 Rojo
    17 Blind (Shaw - 86' )
    16 Carrick
    31 Fellaini (Herrera - 67' )
    11 Januzaj
    07 Di María
    09 Falcao
    49 Wilson (van Persie - 67' )

Not exactly a bad team that they sent out either.