Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester United

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Watched them yesterday vs Bournemouth. I'm of an age where I can't really remember Man Utd pre Ferguson, and I know they had a lot of injuries but it was probably the worst Utd side I can remember watching. Even allowing for the injuries they were just totally devoid of any desire, verve or guile They were utterly listless which is about as far from a Ferguson side as you can get.

It's hard to explain because LVG's managerial record speaks for itself, but it ain't really happening for him in England.
  • Options

United's demise, and Chelsea's co-incide with the poorest standard Premier League I have seen

Because two clubs who were nailed on trophy winners now aren't? I think the PL has if anything, progressed.

As of today you would think there's maybe 4-5 teams who could get relegated. In seasons gone by, this has been nearer to 7, 8 or even 9 who could get into a relegation scrap.

I just don't see that happening in the near future, suggesting the PL is more competitive than ever.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

I was a bit disappointed (although not surprised) when LVG turned down Spurs just before he took over from Moyes.

Am beginning to think Spurs had a lucky escape. Cant believe how dull their football is now.

Definitely a lucky escape in hindsight. Your team has been playing very good attractive football under a manager who seems to like using and developing young talents, which is probably completely opposite to what ManU and LVG have been doing. It's obvious to see which manager people would prefer.
    And I expect the current Spurs manager to be the next one of Man Utd.
    I thought they would go for a higher profile manager than Pochettino? Someone like Guardiola, etc.?
  • Options
    One reason I like the Premier League much more than other countries' top leagues is it's full of surprises, always unpredictable. I don't know if this has anything to do with me having been a Charlton fan for some years but I always enjoy seeing small clubs beat big clubs, like Bournemouth's victories over ManU and Chelsea, Leicester beating ManU 5-2 last year. (We Charlton fans certainly have our own fond memories of the Premiership years as well) The Premier League is full of this kind of games. The title race and the relegation battle at both ends of the table are very entertaining and keep people/neutrals interested.

Another thing (from a relatively selfish point of view) is that as a Charlton fan, I wouldn't want to see the three promoted sides each year get totally thrashed in the top division and have no chances of staying up - that would mean the gap between the first and second divisions was so large that only money could bridge. Maybe you'll argue what that has to do with us now that we're fighting for Championship survival, it probably shouldn't be what we need to worry about, etc. But as I started to support Charlton during the Premier League years, I always hope one day we'll get back there, however unrealistic that dream seems at the moment.... So it doesn't worry me one bit if the top teams appear to be going backwards. This year Watford, Bournemouth and Norwich are all doing okay, especially Watford. Leicester remind me a little bit of ourselves in the 2003-2004 season (not exactly the same I know). I feel jealous but nevertheless I wish them well. (Villa going down would be a shame but from the few matches I've watched they seem to lack the fighting spirit and togetherness those other teams have so it would only be themselves to blame.)
  • Options
    andyg90 said:

United's demise, and Chelsea's co-incide with the poorest standard Premier League I have seen

Because two clubs who were nailed on trophy winners now aren't? I think the PL has if anything, progressed.

As of today you would think there's maybe 4-5 teams who could get relegated. In seasons gone by, this has been nearer to 7, 8 or even 9 who could get into a relegation scrap.

I just don't see that happening in the near future, suggesting the PL is more competitive than ever.
    It's largely more competitive because standards at the top sides have slipped, not because the mid table sides have made huge strides forward.

• Options
    I wonder what odds you would of got before the first game of the season for Leicester to be potentially 20 points clear of holders Chelsea at Christmas? You could of probably picked your own odds.
  • Options
    The standard has gone down in general but the closeness of the teams makes it more exciting but with palace being in it and doing so well I can't watch too much of it
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Can United afford to field weakened teams in the Europa league? The way they're playing they might need to win it to get in next seasons Champions league.

Quite amazing how they've managed to spend as much as they have, yet ended up with such a shambles of a side on the pitch last night and had Smalling up front in the last few minutes.

Hazard, a midfielder who more than any other player last season influenced a team's performance and yet this season hasn't found the net once and had just two assists in his 14 League starts - and yet has scored four goals for Belgium. Why is he going missing for Chelsea?
    ... and who cares :wink:
    Chelsea clearly care ;-)