Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manchester United

Comments

• Options
    Indeed if they finish in the top four he's done his job, Moyes would still be there if they had finished fourth last season.
  • Options
    Should have gone for Mourinho not Moyes - he wanted that job badly IMHO.
  • Options
    I could imagine the squeaky voiced 12 year olds in places like Basingstoke having a fit when the BBC didn't give them an option to vote for one of the millionaires as MOTM...
  • Options
    Last night .. a right good earner for Cambs in the replay ..
  • Options
    Van Gaal was absolutely hammered at their end of season awards night, there's a few videos of speeches that he made during the night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmUxli3XpMg
  • Options
    Hmm, after £250m of expenditure, it's the Europa League for United after they lose 3-2 to Wolfsburg!
  • Options
    Give £250m to Mourinho and put him in charge of Manchester United and he'd win the league
  • Options

Hmm, after £250m of expenditure, it's the Europa League for United after they lose 3-2 to Wolfsburg!

As Owen, Scholes and Ferdinand said - they let better players go and then 'wasted' £250m on players that aren't up to it... shame .... :-)
  • Options
    Awful and the only way to solve it is to throw more money at the problem. Wouldn't trust him with our budget let alone 250m.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Thing is that I rate quite a few of the players they've signed - Shaw, Schneiderlin, Martial and Mata are good players, Blind is an intelligent player/good squad player, and Herrera, Darmian and Depay are good in flashes, they should have more to offer in future too. When they wanted Mane, that would have been a very good signing. They need a centre back alongside Smalling and a decent pacy striker so Martial isn't being relied on at 20 years of age.

Recruitment hasn't been that bad under LVG, they just need a different manager to get the best out of them (and sign a striker to replace Rooney) - LVG is too rigid and too stubborn. I bet their fans are pigsick Klopp went to Liverpool instead or they could have won a soft league this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Give £250m to Mourinho Fraeye and put him in charge of Manchester United and he'd win the league

• Options

Give £250m to Mourinho and put him in charge of Manchester United and he'd win the league

I actually think United will win the League this season. Sad for lovers of football but going out of the CL has helped their cause. Playing like this under VG and with a solid defence and two holding midfielders is rather reminiscent of George Graham's "1-0 to the Gunners" side - 10/15 clean sheets in the League is evidence enough of that.
  • Options
    Oh how we laughed!!

Only the stripey c***s and Smallwall higher in my list of teams I despise.
  • Options
    We could get 312 Polish Petes for £250m.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Oh how we laughed!!

Bob, surely you don't mean Stoke do you ;-)
  • Options
    United's squad is horribly average and the shirt makes them look like more than they are. That LVG has found a way to pick up points is impressive. I agree with Nick; put Mourinho in charge with a budget and carte blanch on signings and they'd walk away with the league (at least until City spend super big, which seems inevitable now).
  • Options
    edited December 2015

bobmunro said:

Oh how we laughed!!

Bob, surely you don't mean Stoke do you ;-)
    I'm indifferent on Stoke - although I have to show willing at times! Peter Coates knows who I support and understands (and sympathises!).
  • Options

If van gaal was in charge of ISIS there would be no more attacks, according to my M U FC acquaintance

Ouch! That's one sick joke. I wanted to lol it but I couldn't bring myself to!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Give £250m to Me and put me in charge of Manchester United and I'd spend it all on Morgan Fox like I do on Football Manager to give Charlton a massive transfer kitty

KM would reject the offer and demand £1.5m plus add-ons for Man Utd Champions League appearances and if he captains Wales to the World Cup title.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    cafc-west said:

As Owen, Scholes and Ferdinand said - they let better players go and then 'wasted' £250m £9m on players that aren't up to it... shame .... :-)
    Sounds kinda familiar...
  • Options

I actually think United will win the League this season. Sad for lovers of football but going out of the CL has helped their cause. Playing like this under VG and with a solid defence and two holding midfielders is rather reminiscent of George Graham's "1-0 to the Gunners" side - 10/15 clean sheets in the League is evidence enough of that.
    They will play in the Europa league, unless they choose to "throw" the first knockout game, will it make that much difference?
  • Options

They will play in the Europa league, unless they choose to "throw" the first knockout game, will it make that much difference?
    I don't think VG (or the fans for that matter) will be worried about resting their better players mid week for this comp in the same way as they would the CL - especially if they do have a chance of winning the PL. Also gives him an opportunity to blood fringe players and he might even find that he has a "Lookman" in reserve!

The irony of United's situation is that they aren't so reliant on one or two players in the same way as City are with the likes of Kompany and Aguero simply because of the way VG sets them up.
  • Options
    Makes me wonder if the top English clubs are doing this deliberately in Europe...

i.e. force the Premier League to lose a Champions League spot, means that one of Arsenal / Chelsea / Man City / Man Utd will lose out on the mega bucks you get from competing in the competition which long terms means that particular team can no longer mount a serious title bid.
  • Options
    Enjoying their demise and hope it continues for years. Keep up the good work, Louis!
  • Options

Makes me wonder if the top English clubs are doing this deliberately in Europe...

i.e. force the Premier League to lose a Champions League spot, means that one of Arsenal / Chelsea / Man City / Man Utd will lose out on the mega bucks you get from competing in the competition which long terms means that particular team can no longer mount a serious title bid.

But then not being in the CL can be very beneficial fora shot at the title.

Liverpool 2 years ago would never have come second if they had been in the CL as well. Leicester won't win the PL this season, but not being in Europe means their players can be kept fresher
  • Options
    I think both Chelsea and Man Utd will take the Uefa Cup seriously as winning it a place in the champions league.

More useful for Chelsea who seem less likely to finish top four.
  • Options
    Think this will make United winning the PL much more likely. What it really does show though is that the overal standard of "the best league in the world" is not quite as good as they would like us to think. I'm sure LVG will continue to do ok domestically but hard to see MU impacting on the Champions League any time soon. I'm sure they will spend at least another £150 million this summer effectively just to stand still. The choice of whoever replaces LVG will be very interesting. Looks like they missed out on Klopp given the Manchester / Liverpool thing. Jose could be their best bet. I suspect Pep will be off to Stamford Bridge quite soon.