Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Gomez (ed. ongoing progress)

Comments

• I was first told about Joe at Sparrows lane from one of the other dads at a development game two years ago that he was the best young player at the club. The first time i saw him at senior level was against Gibralter where it took 5 minutes to concur as he was so comfortable on the ball and seems to glide over the ground.
    we are now spoilt for choice and can play joe at right back if Solly needs a rest or Wilson who is a decent right back, who is very good dove tailing with either Joe or Chris if he plays in front of them. Joe have played mainly centre back but the championship strikers could be more difficult for him at this stage of his career.
  • According to a web site called Football League World, Liverpool and Newcastle are interested in signing Joe Gomez by the end of today. The article goes on to say that Charlton are trying to tie him up to a long term deal. I am not naïve enough to know he will be with us for many years but I do hope he is with us for a few years. He is tailor made for Bob Peeters style of football, as everybody says he is going to be a top class player.
  • I wonder why he wasn't in the squad on Saturday?
  • Brian said:

According to a web site called Football League World, Liverpool and Newcastle are interested in signing Joe Gomez by the end of today. The article goes on to say that Charlton are trying to tie him up to a long term deal. I am not naïve enough to know he will be with us for many years but I do hope he is with us for a few years. He is tailor made for Bob Peeters style of football, as everybody says he is going to be a top class player.

With all due respect, if those two teams are looking to sign him today I can't see him signing a longer contract with us!
  • let's hope he doesn't get dazzled by the big club lights where he rots in the reserves. Hopefully he will stay a season or two and develop into a world class player
  • edited September 2014
    Surely if he had wanted to go he would not have signed a 2 year deal with us in the summer.
  • The thing it, even if you forget the money he will earn you have to assume that he thinks he is more Shelvey than Bostock. The former has been involved with England and he is a regular in the Premier League now.

I think that the graduates of our Academy are better prepared than some other clubs. Even Jenkinson has played a fare few games at Arsenal and but for injury he would probably have played a number of times for West Ham this season. Maybe Joe is good enough, either way if he is offered serious money on a long deal with Liverpool then I think he should want to go. Newcastle - Pardew, not so much!
  • Richard J said:

Surely if he had wanted to go he would not have signed a 2 year deal with us in the summer.

...unless it had a clause saying that he could go if a Champions League Club bought out his contract for "x"..?

• edited September 2014
    Congratulations to Joe, who is in the starting line-up for tonight's game against Germany and therefore wins his first U-19 cap.
  • Chizz said:

Congratulations to Jo, who is in the starting line-up for tonight's game against Germany and therefore wins his first U-19 cap.

Anybody else rather watch this than the Switzerland game?

• Sponsored links:

• Can anyone watching post on here how Joe does?
  • Every time I see a Joe Gomez thread and expect to read that we've sold him.

• edited September 2014

Every time I see a Joe Gomez thread and expect to read that we've sold him.

Transfer Window has closed, so for now
  • Anyone else getting Tour of Spain cycling on eurosport?
  • edited September 2014

Anyone else getting Tour of Spain cycling on eurosport?

It should be on Eurosport 2, Cycling Eurosport 1
    http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/tvschedule.shtml
  • Starts at 4.55 I think
  • Scratch that, think they're showing the end of the racing first.
  • silly men on bikes just finishing then it's u19s
  • That contador is good FFS
  • Sponsored links:

• playing CD number 5
  • is this game a Euro qualifier or a friendly?
  • edited September 2014

is this game a Euro qualifier or a friendly?

Friendly but Germany are the Euro under 19 Champions, they beat Portugal in July
  • playing CD number 5

Good choice.
  • it's all Germany with Joe and the rest of the defence hanging in there
  • England leading 1-0 goal by. the number 9 Huster
  • England just scored 0-1 after 36 minutes
  • Joe playing well, his partner dragging defence deep. Goal made by MKD forward Alli who looks our main threat.
  • Half time. England 1-0 up.
  • German player through on goal, Joe made a tremendous recovery interception.