Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Reckless

Comments

• Options
    Popcorn time :-)
  • Options
    Aye...

• Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

As a UKIP supporter, I don't blame for any MP to come to UKIP because they feel the same as I do with career politicians that look and sound the same and come from the same background. I was a Tory myself and I feel totally let down by the Tories and having looked at their history I realised they won't the party for me.

Anyone that says 'UKIP only picks votes from the Tories' could not be more incorrect. If you have a look at the by-election in South Shields where Labour are pretty strong in that area you will see a difference, let's look at the 2010 election result.

1st Labour - 18,995
    2nd Tories - 7,886

UKIP did not field a candidate

Now let's look at the 2013 by-election, bare in mind Labour are well ahead in the polls at the moment.

1st Labour - 12,493
    2nd UKIP - 5,988
    3rd Tories - 2,857

Funny how Labour lost 5000 votes compared to 2010 so it's a chance that some of those old Labour votes are defecting to UKIP? At a recent meeting I attended a former long-life Labour voter told me he is UKIP as he does not class Labour the working class party anymore. I heard a rumour that a Labour MP may defect to UKIP, now that would be a turn up for the books won't it :)

Fair enough you support UKIP but you can't really say Reckless isnt just another upper class politician. He already an MP, he was private euducated, did PPE at Oxford.meet the new boss

As for South Shields the UKIP/Tory vote is almost the same. Typically low turn outs in by-election so most likely a higher percentage but Labour still way ahead.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

As a UKIP supporter, I don't blame for any MP to come to UKIP because they feel the same as I do with career politicians that look and sound the same and come from the same background. I was a Tory myself and I feel totally let down by the Tories and having looked at their history I realised they won't the party for me.

Anyone that says 'UKIP only picks votes from the Tories' could not be more incorrect. If you have a look at the by-election in South Shields where Labour are pretty strong in that area you will see a difference, let's look at the 2010 election result.

1st Labour - 18,995
    2nd Tories - 7,886

Now let's look at the 2013 by-election, bare in mind Labour are well ahead in the polls at the moment.

1st Labour - 12,493
    2nd UKIP - 5,988
    3rd Tories - 2,857

Funny how Labour lost 5000 votes compared to 2010 so it's a chance that some of those old Labour votes are defecting to UKIP? At a recent meeting I attended a former long-life Labour voter told me he is UKIP as he does not class Labour the working class party anymore. I heard a rumour that a Labour MP may defect to UKIP, now that would be a turn up for the books won't it :)

Funny that the Tories also lost 5,000 and therefore the turnout was about 5,000 less then?
  • Options

Richard J said:

This is Lord Ashcroft's view of the Tory dilemma in the marginals . Well worth reading. I am amazed he has made it publically available.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2014/09/told-tories-birmingham/

There is some worrying stuff there for the Tories - but ultimately the Miliband factor will get them over the line.

Straight choice between Cameron and Miliband? Only one winner there.
    Fascinating reading on that and another pole link supplied elsewhere... Current likely outcome is labour largest party but no majority so they cut a deal with the liberals.
    The labour UKIP thing is an exploded myth. Tories are haemorrhaging support and now MPs to UKIP whereas only a small tory element swinging to Labour.
    Those considering voting Tory don't trust them on the NHS - funny how Milliband led on more NHS jobs just the other day whereas Osborne just announced abolishing tax on inherited pension pots when we are still living with increasing budget deficits.
    The polls will of course move and plenty of time for events and announcements to shift things in the next 8 months.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

DiscoCAFC said:

1st Labour - 18,995
    2nd Tories - 7,886

1st Labour - 12,493
    2nd UKIP - 5,988
    3rd Tories - 2,857

Fair enough you support UKIP but you can't really say Reckless isnt just another upper class politician. He already an MP, he was private euducated, did PPE at Oxford.meet the new boss

As for South Shields the UKIP/Tory vote is almost the same. Typically low turn outs in by-election so most likely a higher percentage but Labour still way ahead.
    I take your point about Reckless but at least he had the guts to lose his job so he can switch to UKIP when he could potentially lose his seat from the by-election.

Oh........here is another policy of UKIP's in relation to Reckless background- they want to bring more grammar schools so even the highly intelligent students with poor backgrounds get a chance for a top job other than those rich people who can afford to send their kids to private schools.

My main point about the South Shields election was given how un-popular Labour were in 2010 to 2013, its funny they still lost seats in one of the most Labour strongholds.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

1st Labour - 18,995
    2nd Tories - 7,886

1st Labour - 12,493
    2nd UKIP - 5,988
    3rd Tories - 2,857

I take your point about Reckless but at least he had the guts to lose his job so he can switch to UKIP when he could potentially lose his seat from the by-election.

Oh........here is another policy of UKIP's in relation to Reckless background- they want to bring more grammer schools so even the highly inteligent students with poor backgrounds get a chance for a top job other than those rich people who can afford to send their kids to private schools.

My main point about the South Shields election was given how un-popular Labour were in 2010 to 2013, its funny they still lost seats in one of the most Labour strongholds.
    *grammar
    *intelligent
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

DiscoCAFC said:

1st Labour - 18,995
    2nd Tories - 7,886

1st Labour - 12,493
    2nd UKIP - 5,988
    3rd Tories - 2,857

Oh........here is another policy of UKIP's in relation to Reckless background- they want to bring more grammar schools so even the highly intelligent students with poor backgrounds get a chance for a top job other than those rich people who can afford to send their kids to private schools.

I want to improve the lives of all people from more humble origins, not just help a few scramble to the top.
  • Options
    Ah Mr Reckless, the nan who was promising to campaign for the Tories and then defected the next day. The man who said he wouldn't join UKIP? Is lying now a gutsy thing to do?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The difficulty is that the main political parties have failed us all too many times. UKIP is set to benefit from that especially as the Tories continue to rip themselves apart over Europe. I agree that the Milliband factor is putting people off leaving the path clear for more charismatic figures like Farage. But there are also many people who would never vote for UKIP under any circumstances so where do these voters go? I have now spent my entire voting life basically wasting my vote. The right to vote was hard won, but is our current system what people fought for? At every level in my life where I continue to fight for various causes nonsultation has taken over. Basically our rulers are saying '' If you are lucky, we will ask you your views and then we will completely ignore you.'
    Throw in corruption and any realignments will also fail for exactly the same reasons as currently exist. I don't find the future interesting, merely utterly depressing.

I'm one of those people I will never vote for UKIP however, having always voted conservatives in the past I've lost all faith in them I am finding myself getting increasingly annoyed with them, but I can't stand Daffy Duck aka ed milliband. I know that labour promise to reinstate lost funding for frontline services and protect a lot of societies poorest that have been damaged badly by government cuts etc all sounds good but at what cost? A bigger deficit? I won't vote lib dem as its a wasted vote so what do I do? Abstain? Then it's a wasted right to vote.
    May I ask why?

They're just not for me, I also find Nigel Farage quite unnerving, I can't quite put my finger on why, also they are half empty, I get the immigration policies and also understand why it is such a deal breaker for so many people, however all other policies have holes in them and are seemingly hollow, I also get the whole out of EU thing and it's one thing I think I want but again there are holes and discrepancies in the finanancial side of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When people are getting poorer and they are working harder for less money when the country is being managed appallingly by a collection of useless untrustworthy fools people will look to blame someone/something and immigration is seen as a massive problem, then extremism takes over and parties like UKIP become powerful.
    You've only got to look back 80 years when a certain Mr Hitler started to blame the Jews for Germany's troubles when in fact the Treaty of Versailles caused the German depression. The majority bought into Hitlers ideas and the rest is history.
  • Options

Ah Mr Reckless, the nan who was promising to campaign for the Tories and then defected the next day. The man who said he wouldn't join UKIP? Is lying now a gutsy thing to do?

Clegg = No tuition fees ?
  • Options

Two wrongs make a right? Why quote Clegg at me? I don't see what point you are trying to make, sorry :-(

• Options
    Is there any chance UKIP could persuade John Redwood to defect? I mean, who does this bloke think he is?
    He's threatening our biggest businesses if they speak up for staying in the EU. `And you Mr Redwood, what have you actually done in your life apart from being a rather weird politician? Dear oh dear, talk about trying to out-UKIP UKIP.
  • Options
    For some reason, I always seem to picture in my mind John Redwood in an SS uniform.

Bit like the Norman Tebbitt's Spitting Image puppet.
  • Options

Is there any chance UKIP could persuade John Redwood to defect? I mean, who does this bloke think he is?
    He's threatening our biggest businesses if they speak up for staying in the EU. `And you Mr Redwood, what have you actually done in your life apart from being a rather weird politician? Dear oh dear, talk about trying to out-UKIP UKIP.

Quite extraordinary even for Redwood.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Although there aren't many of the Vulcan's ilk. He is extremely intelligent and considered by many to be the most intelligent brain of his generation. The problem, as is often the case with these intelligent cold fish, is that they lack any hint of human kindness and can appear as very cruel malicious people.
  • Options
    Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean being an effective administrator. Most MPs went to a top university yet seem to struggle with day-to-day reality outside of their golden palace. The problem we have is that the people who are intelligent enough to actually be effective ministers of state realise they can be paid 10 times as much for half the stress and double the job security in any other role.
  • Options

Typical of his ilk, goes round proclaiming the virtues of free speech - unless people are saying things he doesn't like.

An absolute arsehole of the highest order who wreaked havoc in the Major government purely for his own selfish ends.
    It's astonishing how many politicians claim the right of Free Speech for themselves... but not anyone who dares disagree (or the Press who publish stories that show them in a less than magnificent light). And that goes for both ends of the political spectrum and every point in between.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:

Typical of his ilk, goes round proclaiming the virtues of free speech - unless people are saying things he doesn't like.

An absolute arsehole of the highest order who wreaked havoc in the Major government purely for his own selfish ends.
    It's astonishing how many politicians claim the right of Free Speech for themselves... but not anyone who dares disagree (or the Press who publish stories that show them in a less than magnificent light). And that goes for both ends of the political spectrum and every point in between.
    Everything you write is true, but Redwood's comments seem especially sinister. What exactly is he suggesting will happen to leaders of companies who dare to speak up and make the case for staying in the EU? Sir Martin Sorrell did exactly that the previous day, and doubtless Redwood had him in mind. Sorrell maybe wondering. He is almost certainly a natural Tory voter. But he's also Jewish.

Very, very nasty.
  • Options

Two wrongs make a right? Why quote Clegg at me? I don't see what point you are trying to make, sorry :-(

Could have said Blair = WMD in Iraq, but the double point I was making is that politicians lie or "change policy" whenever they like, and I quoted Clegg because he is in a position of direct power - unlike Mr Reckless who is a mere backbencher.

Reckless has given his voters a quick opportunity to decide whether he still represents them now he has changed his view/allegiance.

Not much honourable behavior left in politics, so always worth pointing out when it arises.
  • Options

thenewbie said:

Everything you write is true, but Redwood's comments seem especially sinister. What exactly is he suggesting will happen to leaders of companies who dare to speak up and make the case for staying in the EU? Sir Martin Sorrell did exactly that the previous day, and doubtless Redwood had him in mind. Sorrell maybe wondering. He is almost certainly a natural Tory voter. But he's also Jewish.

Very, very nasty.
    I agree that these particular comments are more foreboding than most and I do not agree nor condone what Redwood is suggesting. I am just pointing out that every party has its Redwoods and it would be shortsighted and counter productive to label such tactics as Left or Right when the truth is they are pretty much universal.
  • Options

thenewbie said:

Very, very nasty.
    I think it's no more than a rebuff to the familiar "3 million jobs lie" trotted out by pro EU politicians and big businesses who find it easier to negotiate with an unelected bureaucracy rather than the governments of the individual countries they want to rip off.

I'm glad personally to see a supposed Tory Eurosceptic actually give a meaningful bit back.

More power to UKIP's elbow.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

thenewbie said:

Very, very nasty.
    I think it's no more than a rebuff to the familiar "3 million jobs lie" trotted out by pro EU politicians and big businesses who find it easier to negotiate with an unelected bureaucracy rather than the governments of the individual countries they want to rip off.

I'm glad personally to see a supposed Tory Eurosceptic actually give a meaningful bit back.

More power to UKIP's elbow.
    Sorry Len but that definitely wasn't how the CBI rep took it when questioned on the Today programme this morning. It wasn't a rebuff. It was a threat. Read his words. You are a decent man, though I have never met you, and you wouldn't want to be associated with such words, I'm sure of that. It's the sort of talk that encourages the likes of the EDL, rather than UKIP.

he has always been like that. The Nasty Party jibe was inspired by him.
  • Options
    DiscoCAFC said:

1st Labour - 18,995
    2nd Tories - 7,886

1st Labour - 12,493
    2nd UKIP - 5,988
    3rd Tories - 2,857

Those kind of figures are totally meaningless if you don't know the change in turnout. It's much better to look at the shares of the votes.

Labour's share went down from 1.6%
    UKIP up from 0% to 24.2%
    Tories down 10%
    Lib Dems down 12.8%
    BNP down 3.6%

The reality is that there was probably a lot of churn with lots of Lib Dem voters going to Labour and a lot of Labour going to UKIP. But the polls are pretty consistent that the biggest contributors to the rise in UKIP's support are former Tories.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/02/24/where-ukip-gets-its-support/

This UKIP analysis from earlier this year looked at which UKIP voters said they voted for at the 2010 election.

45% said Tory
    15% Lib Dem
    12% UKIP
    11% Labour
    3% BNP

UKIP is really the only reason why such a poor leader as Milliband has a good chance of winning a majority at the next election.
  • Options
    I always think that you can tell which way someone's going to vote by the way they spell the leader of the opposition's surname.
  • Options
    First of all, have you doubters noticed how the word UKIP is beginning to dominate this thread ? I believe some of you are trying to make the situation far too complicated. I am supporting them because a) I am fed up with paying millions into Europe so that they can tell us how to run our Country, and b) I want us to be far more careful about the number and the nature of migrants that are flooding into the Country. Plus, if I was able to invite one of the party Leaders into my house, it would have to be Nigel. Can you imagine getting stuck in the company of David, Ed and Alex ?