Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UKIP win a seat

Comments

• Options
    Shocking story unfolding.
    I hope Steven Woolfe recovers fully as soon as possible.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Reading about this and the turmoil that has engulfed them recently goes to show that they aren't really a party for me. UKIP is Nigel Farage. If Nigel wants out, it seems like their foundations fall apart at the seams
  • Options
    Are you trying to take on America in the "most mental politics sweepstakes?" Because I hate to tell you this but we have TWO more presidential debates.

Seriously though, despite the fact that I deplore UKIP's stances on just about everything, I don't wish harm on anyone and I hope he makes a successful recovery.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Reading about this and the turmoil that has engulfed them recently goes to show that they aren't really a party for me. UKIP is Nigel Farage. If Nigel wants out, it seems like their foundations fall apart at the seams

Slightly awkward phrasing there, mate.:-) Reads like you are flirting with the far right. Not marked you down on that list.

But while we all wish Mr Woolfe a speedy recovery, it shows how close we come to giving power to complete nutters. Remember Andrea Leadsom....

• Options

cabbles said:

Slightly awkward phrasing there, mate.:-) Reads like you are flirting with the far right. Not marked you down on that list.

But while we all wish Mr Woolfe a speedy recovery, it shows how close we come to giving power to complete nutters. Remember Andrea Leadsom....

Psh, you think you've got nutters:
    http://www.senate.gov/vtour/sumner.htm
  • Options
    Another bizarre photo to add to the 2016 collection:

• Options
    olster said:

Another bizarre photo to add to the 2016 collection:

I can see that being used at the end of a HIGNFY in the near future.
  • Options
    UKIP only existed in order to get a referendum on the EU.
    Now that we have had the referendum and article 50 is being implemented on Wednesday they have achieved their goal.
    As they have no other major political aims they might as well disband.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017
    8-)
  • Options
    Another seat for the Tories and Corbyn gets a tilt at 4th place!
  • Options
    Having achieved Article 50 being implemented UKIP have lost their way and can understand Douglas Carswell leaving.As a Clacton resident I would like to defend the 20,000 or so voters who voted for Douglas Carswell. He is the best MP that I have ever encountered and am sure that he will retain his seat at the next election.
  • Options

Having achieved Article 50 being implemented UKIP have lost their way and can understand Douglas Carswell leaving.As a Clacton resident I would like to defend the 20,000 or so voters who voted for Douglas Carswell. He is the best MP that I have ever encountered and am sure that he will retain his seat at the next election.

That's interesting. By all accounts (his political views aside) he seems to be a pretty good bloke. Journalists I know say they like him. And he's always been decent when I've talked to him on twitter. (Wish I could say the same of his party's supporters!)

As a Clacton voter, your view is really interesting @diamondaddick - do you think if he stood at the next election as an independent, he'd win again? Even if Farage, Nuttall or Banks were parachuted in to fight for UKIP?
  • Options

I've got some ex colleagues who live in Clacton who normally vote lib dem... Said they needed Carswell's help with an issue and he couldn't have done more. I could easily see him keep his seat of their view is anything to go by
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Now that we have had the referendum and article 50 is being implemented on Wednesday they have achieved their goal.

But of course they won't, will they? Not while there are greedy, selfish, self-serving, greasy-pole climbers that believe they can continue to con their way into positions of influence.

Ukip's latest defection merely puts them back to where they were before Carswell was elected. A nasty party built to serve a small number of nasty people. And, as Carswell was far from being one of the nastiest, it leaves a vacuum into which Nuttall, Banks, Farage and a few others will try to pour themselves.

They'll be around for some time yet. Because some of their "leading" figures still have battles they wish to fight. And, frankly, no other party will have them.

Ukip are starting their slow, public, painful and terminal decline. And few outside their small and dwindling membership will much mind.
    A nasty party built to serve a small number of nasty people.

Didn't they get a couple of million votes at the last general election ?

Hardly a small number.
  • Options

Chizz said:

But of course they won't, will they? Not while there are greedy, selfish, self-serving, greasy-pole climbers that believe they can continue to con their way into positions of influence.

Ukip's latest defection merely puts them back to where they were before Carswell was elected. A nasty party built to serve a small number of nasty people. And, as Carswell was far from being one of the nastiest, it leaves a vacuum into which Nuttall, Banks, Farage and a few others will try to pour themselves.

They'll be around for some time yet. Because some of their "leading" figures still have battles they wish to fight. And, frankly, no other party will have them.

Ukip are starting their slow, public, painful and terminal decline. And few outside their small and dwindling membership will much mind.

Hardly a small number.
    Even more than that, actually.

At the height of their popularity, in 2015, they polled nearly 3.9m.

But the "small number" of people to whom I was referring is nothing to do with voters. I was referring to the people Ukip serves: its leaders.

It's a vanity project for Banks, a cash cow for Farage and a stepping-stone to respectability for Nuttall. And, until yesterday, a flag of convenience for Carswell.

They have no MPs, yet they'll keep going as long as Nuttall and/or Farage can keep persuading Banks to throw his money at their project. Whatever that might be.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Hardly a small number.
    Even more than that, actually.

At the height of their popularity, in 2015, they polled nearly 3.9m.

But the "small number" of people to whom I was referring is nothing to do with voters. I was referring to the people Ukip serves: its leaders.

It's a vanity project for Banks, a cash cow for Farage and a stepping-stone to respectability for Nuttall. And, until yesterday, a flag of convenience for Carswell.

They have no MPs, yet they'll keep going as long as Nuttall and/or Farage can keep persuading Banks to throw his money at their project. Whatever that might be.
    The problem is two of their biggest sources of income will dry up when we leave the EU. First of all, all the donations that came from those who wanted us out of the EU will dry up as they will no longer fund a party which has achieved its raison d'être. Secondly, the EU itself - UKIP's creative accounting was very adept of using money that were meant to fund its European Parliament obligations to fund domestic operations. When we leave the EU, not only will all their MEPs be out of work but they will no longer receive any money from the EU.
  • Options
    One of their prominent leaders, was her name Atkinson, called Oriental looking people 'ting tongs'.
    For that reason I would never support a party where the internal cultural currency is one of casually accepting racism.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    there should be a bi-election, otherwise old slit mouth will hold the Clacton seat under false pretences
  • Options

there should be a bi-election, otherwise old slit mouth will hold the Clacton seat under false pretences

A bi-election? Blimey! You obviously know more about Carswell's private life than most people.
  • Options

Carswell is incredibly popular with his constituence. Even if a by election was required, he'd win it easily
  • Options
    seth plum said:

One of their prominent leaders, was her name Atkinson, called Oriental looking people 'ting tongs'.
    For that reason I would never support a party where the internal cultural currency is one of casually accepting racism.

cant believe a ukip leader said such things, they are usually so good at bringing cultures together
  • Options
    shine166 said:

seth plum said:

cant believe a ukip leader said such things, they are usually so good at bringing cultures together
    A Diane Abbott moment, some would say.
  • Options

Carswell is incredibly popular with his constituence. Even if a by election was required, he'd win it easily
    Judging by the comments I've read here and elsewhere it would appear that Carswell might well win an election standing as an independent. The problem for all independents though is parliamentary longevity. Without the party machine and spin and endless exposure that comes with it, winning second time around becomes much harder than that first foray often on principled ticket.

• Options

Judging by the comments I've read here and elsewhere it would appear that Carswell might well win an election standing as an independent. The problem for all independents though is parliamentary longevity. Without the party machine and spin and endless exposure that comes with it, winning second time around becomes much harder than that first foray often on principled ticket.

So, in summary, you think he'll be there until 2025, at which time he may find it hard to be re-elected?
  • Options
    Will Farage ever be elected as an MP?
  • Options
    edited March 2017

in any case there should be a rerun.. if any MP/local councillor swaps party's this should always be the norm .. we always hear 'people vote for the party not for the individual' .. Goldsmith (e.g.) was kicked out from his constituency, this shows that however 'popular' a representative might be, he/she still needs to prove his/her mandate to those who elected him/her