Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ched Evans makes a public statement

Comments

• Options
    It messes with our moral compass this one, doesn't it.
    It is only right that once somebody has paid their debt to Society they be allowed to re-engage with a clean slate.
    I doubt anybody would complain if he got a job as a labourer for example
    However, as a high profile professional footballer he will attract fame and adulation from fans, not to mention a small fortune.
    This is what clouds the issue, as it somehow doesn't seem right to us that having committed that vile crime he should walk back into that position of privilege.
  • Options
    What say Operationpig on this ?
  • Options
    his girlfriend's crocodile tears... I bet it's tough forgiving a man that's a millionaire.
  • Options
    i thought to get out early you had to admit your guilt, or is that just for murder?
  • Options
    Are we still looking for a goal scorer?.............
  • Options
    It's all about money for Evans and his sad girlfriend. She deserves him. Hopefully they won't spoil another couple.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

He got sentenced to 5 years didn't he?

I thought you only got out early for being remorseful, accepting of your crime, adding some value etc - he's done none of these things.

Fuck him.

Never thought I'd see you as the voice of reason ;)

As for bringing up Luke McCormick... And what? Since when has someone getting off stupendously lightly meant everyone should.
  • Options
    Maybe he should be allowed to work but only on national minimum wage for the period he's on licence ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

his girlfriend's crocodile tears... I bet it's tough forgiving a man that's a millionaire.

Apparently she comes from a very wealthy family and her Father has been funding the campaign for Evans' release.

Sure is a strange situation.
  • Options
    First things first. Rape is a hideous crime. End of.

I am obviously no expert in the case, so I have no access to evidence for or against the crime being committed. I don't know what was presented in court.

But he has historically seemed to strongly proclaim his innocence.

Is the justice system perfect in this (or any) country? What if (IF being the key word) he wasn't guilty of the crime he was charged with? I am sure it has happened before (and in rape false accusations are more damaging to future victims than any other crime). Imagine not being able to work and having every football fan in the country hate you?

As I say, I am not aware of the complexities of the case and assuming nobody here was on the jury, neither is this board.

Just another angle to look at it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Badger said:

What say Operationpig on this ?

It's a massive debate here in Sheffield, Pig fans are divided, despite the embarrassing views on TV at Bradford.

He's was found guilty of rape in a court of law, if a teacher, doctor, or most other professional person did this I very much doubt they would be allowed to return, but Football seems to have it's own little bubble that seem to be untouchable.

He shouldn't be allowed to play again until he can prove what he states in the video, by clearing his name (his own words)

On the plus side, he could become an actor after seeing that vid.
  • Options
    He hasn't shown any sort of remorse ffs!! - he's trying to clear his bloody name. All he apologised for was cheating on his girlfriend. Absolutely shocking arguments from his family that critics 'don't even know anything about football' - not sure where that has anything to do with it. Any club employing him should be absolutely ashamed
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Horrible, unrepentant scumbags - him, his girlfriend who thinks he's a role model for not facing up to what a jury and appeal review. judges all agree he did, and his mates for naming and blaming the victim, continuing to negatively influence her life.

He's not rehabilitated, why accept him back into what is undeniably a profession which influences others, in this case the next generation of football watchers? And also back into the environment which led him to commit a crime he sees little wrong with.

He wouldn't be allowed into any other position of influence - lawyer, teacher, kid's football coach etc, I think the FA should stop him doing so on this occasion, let him get a job outside the public eye.

I'm all for serving your time and being rehabilitated, but he's actively fighting that by his actions.

As it is, I hope clubs won't take him, but bet Sheffield United do.
  • Options
    How can he be remorseful though if he thinks he is innocent?
  • Options
    He'll play again - just not in this Country.
  • Options
    Kipper23 said:

He hasn't shown any sort of remorse ffs!! - he's trying to clear his bloody name. All he apologised for was cheating on his girlfriend. Absolutely shocking arguments from his family that critics 'don't even know anything about football' - not sure where that has anything to do with it. Any club employing him should be absolutely ashamed

Looking very likely to be Sheffield United but then again I can't say I'm surprised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a very tricky situation, people are quite right to point out that Evans was convicted in court but he is still strongly protesting his innocence.

So, as far as he is concerned he cannot possibly apologise, seek rehabilitation or atone for a crime he absolutely insists he did not commit.

I just don't think there are any easy answers here at all, although whoever is 'advising' him and his family are complete amateurs.
  • Options
    Rob said:

I'm glad I'm not as bitter or judgmental as some on here. I hope you won't eat your words in the future when something happens to you in life that you regret and want forgiveness for so you can move on with your life. I like to look for the good in people and I think most people are inherently good rather than bad.... but we can all make mistakes.

Ched Evans has served his sentence. He still thinks it was consensual sex, hence the appeal. There are many grey areas regarding rape especially when copious amounts of alcohol are involved.

It wasn't as if he attacked and raped someone in the cold light of day, totally sober. No, they had both been drinking and had met up that night. They ended up in bed. Sound familiar anyone?

I'm not condoning rape so don't put words in my mouth (because I know that's what can happen on here) but I think not everything is as clear cut as some people think it is. And, even though he was convicted of rape in a court of law, I still think that.

I think he deserves a chance but, sadly, I don't think he will because there are a lot of unforgiving people out there.

Just a ridiculous attitude towards rape and exactly the type which
    Leads to such a low rate of reporting. He's been found guilty - there's no grey about it. She was unconscious - not just a bit vague or whatever you think makes rape not particularly clear. In other professions you wouldn't be allowed back and should be same I here
  • Options
    He did try to mount an appeal bobmunro, but it got rejected as there wasn't sufficient grounds to.
  • Options
    There was a case on Crimewatch last week when a woman walking her dog across a park in Mansfield was approached by a man and that man violently raped that woman knowing full well he was harming her and intended to harm her. I think in Ched Evans' case he probably thought the girl had consented when she didn't and never intended to harm her.
  • Options

This is a very tricky situation, people are quite right to point out that Evans was convicted in court but he is still strongly protesting his innocence.

So, as far as he is concerned he cannot possibly apologise, seek rehabilitation or atone for a crime he absolutely insists he did not commit.

I just don't think there are any easy answers here at all, although whoever is 'advising' him and his family are complete amateurs.

dumb idiots say they're innocent all the time. You just have to watch some of the absolute idiots that go on jeremey kyle, say they haven't cheated, taken a lie detector test and been lying. Yet STILL say they're innocent just because they can. I bet Ched is just going on with this appeal business and claiming he's innocent just because he's even convinced himself he is innocent.

I can keep saying that grass is red. That doesn't mean it is red because i've said it for a long time and over and over again.
  • Options
    Last week Nigel Clough said the club had been in talks to bring Evans back to Sheffield United. That tells me one thing. It's definite Evans will go back there. I doubt Clough would have given so much away to the public domain if Evans wasn't going to be re-signed by Sheffield United. In that case I reckon Clough would have dodged the question being asked by that person from the media.
  • Options

How can he be remorseful though if he thinks he is innocent?

Ignorance shouldn't be an excuse - if he thinks there's nothing wrong with turning up to a hotel room where your mate 'has a girl' and forcing yourself on a practically (if not completely) passed out woman, he's wrong. Hopefully one day he'll see that and will be remorseful, but I won't hold my breath.

• Options
    No. Don't. Stop.

No, don't stop.

• Options

There was a case on Crimewatch last week when a woman walking her dog across a park in Mansfield was approached by a man and that man violently raped that woman knowing full well he was harming her and intended to harm her. I think in Ched Evans' case he probably thought the girl had consented when she didn't and never intended to harm her.

He thought wrong though, didn't he?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!