Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ched Evans makes a public statement

Comments

• Options
    A very interesring one and I have opinions split on both sides regarding what I think about whether he is guilty or not but I am 100% sure he should be allowed to play again.

Effectively people that don't want him to play stems from a jealousy of his large pay packet. If he was Chedwyn the carpenter no one would bat an eyelid.
  • Options
    Basically just reading out a statement someone has prepared for him. I bet he couldn't tell you what he said in it and I doubt he means what he's saying. It's a means to an end.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

He has done his time, let him play. The case against him seemed dubious. People will love getting offended that I have and others share that opinion.

Lee Hughes, on the other hand, should never have been allowed to play again. What he did was truly horrific.

I think what Evans did was worse. Lee Hughes got in a car drunk, yes that is wrong - but he didn't set out to deliberately run someone over and kill them. Ched Evans was found guilty of consciously raping a woman.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

A very interesring one and I have opinions split on both sides regarding what I think about whether he is guilty or not but I am 100% sure he should be allowed to play again.

Effectively people that don't want him to play stems from a jealousy of his large pay packet. If he was Chedwyn the carpenter no one would bat an eyelid.

Or abhorrence at the crime and a belief society would be better without him in the public eye?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

No. Don't. Stop.

No, don't stop.

?????
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I believe he has all ready had one appeal turned down.

On 15 July 2014 Ched’s new legal team David Emanuel of Garden Court Chambers London and Shaun Draycott submitted an application to the Criminal Cases Review Commission which is the first step to a second appeal.

The review of his case is being fast tracked, it usually takes upto eighteen months for cases to be reviewed by this commission.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

He'll play again - just not in this Country.

Is he permitted to live outside the UK until he's finished his period on licence ?
  • Options
    Huskaris - if he was Chedwyn the carpenter he wouldn't be cheered on by kids and looked upon as a hero every time he fixed an architrave.
    I agree he should have the right to play again, but pray that no club would employ him and allow him to exercise that right unless he is cleared on appeal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob said:

I'm glad I'm not as bitter or judgmental as some on here. I hope you won't eat your words in the future when something happens to you in life that you regret and want forgiveness for so you can move on with your life. I like to look for the good in people and I think most people are inherently good rather than bad.... but we can all make mistakes.

Ched Evans has served his sentence. He still thinks it was consensual sex, hence the appeal. There are many grey areas regarding rape especially when copious amounts of alcohol are involved.

It wasn't as if he attacked and raped someone in the cold light of day, totally sober. No, they had both been drinking and had met up that night. They ended up in bed. Sound familiar anyone?

I'm not condoning rape so don't put words in my mouth (because I know that's what can happen on here) but I think not everything is as clear cut as some people think it is. And, even though he was convicted of rape in a court of law, I still think that.

I think he deserves a chance but, sadly, I don't think he will because there are a lot of unforgiving people out there.

They didn't really "end up in bed" in some casual fling after pulling at some bar. She came back to the hotel with one of his mates, Evans showed up some time later, procured a key to the room from the night porter and let himself in.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

No. Don't. Stop.

No, don't stop.

?????
    Stop.

Do not not stop.
  • Options
    I suspect that he can appeal all he wants but unless the young lady who was the victim states that she did consent after all, then Evans is wasting his time and his money
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I read that too. Evans says he is innocent because he believed she had said yes to him joining in with sex when he arrived at the room. The jury must have thought otherwise.
  • Options
    Footballers are paid to play football like I am to play with electrics I've been through the courts for something not rape I may add but it didn't stop my career and so I shouldn't his, he has done what the courts asked of him and so should be able to resume his life. If he was an accountant would people be moaning no, I think people are jealous because he earns more money than they do, shoot me down I don't care
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Footballers are paid to play football like I am to play with electrics I've been through the courts for something not rape I may add but it didn't stop my career and so I shouldn't his, he has done what the courts asked of him and so should be able to resume his life. If he was an accountant would people be moaning no, I think people are jealous because he earns more money than they do, shoot me down I don't care

Its an interesting point raised here: How does conviction of a sexual offence legitimately preclude someone from earning a living as a professional footballer? Which convictions should be considered OK and allow you to carry on playing professionally and which should preclude you from playing? Who gets to decide this and how?

In other - genuine - 'professions' such as medicine, law or accountancy then a criminal conviction would probably preclude you from further pursuing your career - largely because you would not be considered fit and proper to conduct yourself in an environment where 100% trust and integrity is required.

It would be very hard to make the same case about professional footballers whose meaningful societal contributions - outside the narrow confines of the playing field - are largely negligible.
  • Options
    He's still on licence is he not? Which means he hasn't actually served the full sentence ...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Redrobo I don't see how that is relevant in this instance.
    However it does highlight why it is estimated that only 15% of rapes are reported
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Apart from the line "But you would have been hard pushed to see progress from reports at Charlton last weekend, when a handful of Sheffield United fans struck up the refrain: "Chedwyn Evans, he does what he wants."

I assume they meant Bradford.

But yes, that piece has it spot on
  • Options
    I think this whole thing is despicable, and it's hard not to get riled up when discussing it. Unfortunately we all know he will play again at some point so the very least the FA can do is follow the IPOC's lead from the Pistourious case. No football til the full sentence is complete.
  • Options
    If he was the world's best player, his crime would be water under the bridge and clubs would be failing over themselves trying to sign him. Mike Tyson was convicted of the same crime and nobody ever mentions the fortunes he made after prison. We live in a world of hypocrisy unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    As a convicted rapist isnt he now on the sex offenders register?

IF so isnt there an argument for other clubs not allowing him to play at their ground/in their ground ?

• Options
    Nothing to do with money for me, rapists and peado scum child killers and cold blooded murderers shouldn't be able to live any sort of life that anyone who doesn't commit such acts should

I know that's not the way things work but it should

How a rapist or murderer peado etc can then grace a football pitch to adulation and admiration shouldn't be allowed ever, football should have a code of conduct and licence do any if those things and you lose your licence to be a pro footballer

It's not the only way to earn money,

• Options
    Ormiston Addick said: "In other - genuine - 'professions' such as medicine, law or accountancy then a criminal conviction would probably preclude you from further pursuing your career - largely because you would not be considered fit and proper to conduct yourself in an environment where 100% trust and integrity is required.:
    I came across one case involving a solicitor who was struck off for murder but the disciplinary body stated that they had not taken into account his PREVIOUS conviction for murder!!
    I started to to give my opinion but have decided not to do so except to say that the argument 'what if it was your sister, daughter etc' is misconceived on a rational level. On that argument one might insist that EVERY person convicted of any imprisonable crime which adversely affects someone should never be released from prison or if released, should never be employed.
  • Options

Rob said:

I'm glad I'm not as bitter or judgmental as some on here. I hope you won't eat your words in the future when something happens to you in life that you regret and want forgiveness for so you can move on with your life. I like to look for the good in people and I think most people are inherently good rather than bad.... but we can all make mistakes.

mistakes is one thing, being convicted of rape is another. I guess if your mother, sister or daughter got that drunk, went home with a man and then another man turned up to have sex with her when she was basically passed out I guess you'd shrug your shoulders and say "well, it was a mistake, oh well". Right...
    If there were copious amounts of alcohol involved then, in the cold light of day, who knows what I'd think. And, incidentally, neither my mother, sister or daughter drink in copious amounts to the extent that they pass out. They tend to be more responsible than that.

I'm not saying that her being drunk would give Ched Evans the right to rape her, but what I am saying is that judgment will be greatly affected if you're paralytic. And, I'm not only talking about his judgment. That's why, in my opinion, there are grey areas.

At the end of the day, he was found guilty and has served his sentence. I don't think it falls into the same category as child molesters though.
  • Options
    what he did is reprehensible. The young lady concerned has had her life shattered and she will never fully recover. She was forced to take on a new identity and leave her home town because someone on the net revealed her identity. Now, her new identity has been revealed and she will once again be forced to assume a new name and start again elsewhere, maybe abroad so that she may be able to rebuild her life. Evans was found guilty by jury and a appeal was refused as there were no grounds. Unless new evidence comes to light then a review of the case will refuse a appeal. Evans knew what he was doing. He didn't have a key to the hotel room concerned and begged an employee to give him access. He then proceeded to have sex with a drunken girl who had just had sex with his friend. What a lovely chap.

I can see the argument for him working again but I don't see why he should be rewarded by returning to football and a luxury lifestyle.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Rob said:

mistakes is one thing, being convicted of rape is another. I guess if your mother, sister or daughter got that drunk, went home with a man and then another man turned up to have sex with her when she was basically passed out I guess you'd shrug your shoulders and say "well, it was a mistake, oh well". Right...
    If there were copious amounts of alcohol involved then, in the cold light of day, who knows what I'd think. And, incidentally, neither my mother, sister or daughter drink in copious amounts to the extent that they pass out. They tend to be more responsible than that.

I'm not saying that her being drunk would give Ched Evans the right to rape her, but what I am saying is that judgment will be greatly affected if you're paralytic. And, I'm not only talking about his judgment. That's why, in my opinion, there are grey areas.

At the end of the day, he was found guilty and has served his sentence. I don't think it falls into the same category as child molesters though.
    you cannot give consent if you're paralytically drunk. There are no grey areas.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/rape_and_sexual_offences/consent/
  • Options

Rob said:

Rob said:

you cannot give consent if you're paralytically drunk. There are no grey areas.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/rape_and_sexual_offences/consent/
    We're going round in circles but, what if it was only later that she was so paralytic that she passed out? Then it would be evident that she was paralytically drunk. What about if, earlier, she was drunk but 'seemed' to know what she was doing? Maybe it was then that Evans thought there was consent. I seem to remember that was brought up in the case. To me there are grey areas.

And I for one can still remember (believe it or not) what it's like to be out on the Saturday night lash after having had a few.

At the end of the day he was found guilty so that's that unless it is successfully appealed. I don't necessarily think he should be treated like a social pariah though, even if his rape conviction stands.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!