Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ched Evans makes a public statement

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:

If you do a google search for "filming rape", you'll find there's a surprising number.

there's no way I'm doing that!

• Options
    There is indeed still a long road to travel but we have improved and as a country we have a generally more enlightened approach than say in the 60's. I would like to think that males like Jimmy Savile would not get away with their foul crimes in our society today. Much remains to be done as recent events in Rotherham have shown and I would also like to see male rape highlighted a lot more than it is. But as a woman I have been very heartened by the responses of many CL'ers.
  • Options

There is indeed still a long road to travel but we have improved and as a country we have a generally more enlightened approach than say in the 60's. I would like to think that males like Jimmy Savile would not get away with their foul crimes in our society today. Much remains to be done as recent events in Rotherham have shown and I would also like to see male rape highlighted a lot more than it is. But as a woman I have been very heartened by the responses of many CL'ers.

The conviction rate is still shockingly low - I'm not sure anyone has a workable idea as to how to reflect the prevalence of the offence with a sensible conviction rate.
  • Options
    The relatively low conviction rate is of course a concern. I suppose in many rape cases, when there isn't supplementary evidence like witnesses, evidence of force being used, bruising, use of a knife, say, you are left with maybe DNA evidence that sexual activities took place and then it's down to a question of who the jury believes: the victim's allegations or a defendant's assertions to the contrary.
    As we all know, for conviction, the jury must be sure beyond all reasonable doubt that an offence has taken place. However the CPS see it differently. They have two tests: the first is evidential sufficiency; the second public interest. (In rape cases the second test is a no-brainer.) Prosecuting counsel will advise on whether, in her/his opinion, there is more than a 50% chance of a successful prosecution. In rape cases, in particular, it may be that this gap between "more likely than not that the prosecution will succeed" and the jury's requirement to be of a view that there is near 100% certainty that a crime was committed is just too wide and that's why there are so many failed prosecutions. I'm not sure there is an answer to that dichotomy. It's clear, that there would be public outrage if the CPS raised the threshold for prosecution of rape cases in isolation.

If anyone is interested here are the CPS guidelines: cps.gov.uk/publications/prosecution/rape.html
  • Options
    I have always wondered how they know 85% of rapes (or anything) don't get reported. How do they know if they don't get reported ?
  • Options
    somehow i just dont see myself "googling filming rape" ----thanks for the suggestion though FFS
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I have always wondered how they know 85% of rapes (or anything) don't get reported. How do they know if they don't get reported ?

I imagine there is some statisical scraping on those who have admitted that they are a victim in confidentiality (e.g. to a charity or helpline (Samaritans for example) or a friend). The data-gatherer would probably approach charities (who probably themselves keep stats of the numbers of people approaching them but then deciding not to go to the police, as well as canvassing focus groups over whether they know someone who has been a victim but did not go to the police. Some people may even admit to a data-gatherer that they are a victim.

One thing though, it is pretty impossible to determine how many attacks are not included because the victim themselves is currently unaware that they were attacked due to being unconscious or not in a fit state of mind at the time of attack.

This thread was originally regarding whether Evans should be allowed to return to his former role, but it has descended into the far less savoury discussion of whether Evans is really that bad or whether certain attacks shouldn't be classed as attacks because of either the victim's behaviour and actions or the intention of the attacker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For those not familiar with normal behaviour of professional footballers staying at hotels, they probably wouldn't understand why Evans' mates see this as a little jape that went wrong. There is no lack of groupies to oblige, hanging around in the hotel lobbies when footballers play away, and most of the time would assume it must be consensual. My nephew was a pro footballer and met up with him at the Chelsea Harbour Hotel once before a game, and any red blooded male would only dream of having those opportunities (consensually).

Doubt if Evans was used to having to ask for consent and probably assumed it was just his turn, another night, another hotel, another drunk slag. Many footballers must be thinking there but for the grace of God....

The "normality" of this behaviour in the footballing world might explain the lack of condemnation and the focus purely on the legalistic rights of an offender to work. If Evans was stopped from playing for his lack of moral standards, where would it end, wouldn't have many players registered with the leagues. Like it or not, I think it's the legal rights that should be applied, or we just sanction hypocrisy.
  • Options
    WayneK said:

Why did the woman go to the hotel room in the first place? For a chat and a cup of tea?

So a woman checking into a hotel room means that she is somehow inviting rape?

Stop trying to blame the victim. The person responsible was Ched Evans.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

How many other intending rapists get their mates to film it , I mean I'm sure they want us much evidence as possible to be available

Missing the point, since the defendants didn't realise what they were doing was actually rape.
    Why are you defending a rapist and his accomplices?
  • Options
    IAgree said:

Fiiish said:

How many other intending rapists get their mates to film it , I mean I'm sure they want us much evidence as possible to be available

Missing the point, since the defendants didn't realise what they were doing was actually rape.
    I don't think he was - I thought he was highlighting the ignorance and recklessness if Evans et al ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

IAgree said:

Fiiish said:

I don't think he was - I thought he was highlighting the ignorance and recklessness if Evans et al ?
    Apologies if I got that one wrong.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

For those not familiar with normal behaviour of professional footballers staying at hotels, they probably wouldn't understand why Evans' mates see this as a little jape that went wrong. There is no lack of groupies to oblige, hanging around in the hotel lobbies when footballers play away, and most of the time would assume it must be consensual. My nephew was a pro footballer and met up with him at the Chelsea Harbour Hotel once before a game, and any red blooded male would only dream of having those opportunities (consensually).

Doubt if Evans was used to having to ask for consent and probably assumed it was just his turn, another night, another hotel, another drunk slag. Many footballers must be thinking there but for the grace of God....

The "normality" of this behaviour in the footballing world might explain the lack of condemnation and the focus purely on the legalistic rights of an offender to work. If Evans was stopped from playing for his lack of moral standards, where would it end, wouldn't have many players registered with the leagues. Like it or not, I think it's the legal rights that should be applied, or we just sanction hypocrisy.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen because occasional news stories over the years paint that picture but your disturbing description is not something I recognise.

I often stay in hotels for away matches and sometimes, by chance, I end up staying in the same hotel as Charlton's players. My observation is that they are generally on a tight leash, don't drink, and are much quieter and better behaved than I have been while attending various courses, seminars, etc. They are polite, friendly and approachable. They are also under the watchful eye of the manager and coaches and sometimes a director or two. They are also away straight back home after the match having checked out of the hotel at lunchtime. The only time I have seen a sports team cause issues in a hotel was many years ago in Cardiff when the New Zealand All Blacks got a bit lively - let's face it no one was going to tell them to shut it were they? (Although I did recently have an issue with Plymouth Albion RFC who were in Rotherham on the same day as us - in that the bastards ate all the bacon at breakfast).
  • Options
    IAgree said:

se9addick said:

IAgree said:

Fiiish said:

Apologies if I got that one wrong.
    Apology accepted in good faith, se9addick got it spot on.
  • Options
    One story going round involved a player who later joined Charlton, but he was young and single and nothing illegal. Accept it may just depend on the club culture.
  • Options

. I would like to think that males like Jimmy Savile would not get away with their foul crimes in our society today. .

I'd like to think that too, but sadly I don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really good feature on This Week with Charlie Webster and Alan Johnson both saying he has no place in the game. would think you can still catch this on Iplayer.

• Options
    Back in training at United. PFA asked for United to let him train there!
  • Options
    A disgrace.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Back in training at United. PFA asked for United to let him train there!

Thanks Colin :-)
  • Options
    See other thread
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!