Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yet another night of fireworks, when will this insanity of 10 days of this stuff end?

Comments

• Options
    The local yoofs were running down my street firing Roman candles at each other the other night.

Safer than guns I suppose and it was great entertainment for me as I watched from behind my curtain.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Come on now. They're a spectacle and they give people enjoyment, the whole family can get together and watch. Have you ever seen a kid look up at the sky with that look of wonder in their eyes, even if it's just a few crappy rockets? I have such fond memories of watching my Dad let off fireworks in the back garden, and eating a steaming hot, buttery jacket potato that got put in the bonfire, and the smell of the smoke on my clothes.

I'm truly sorry if your dog doesn't like it. But "my dog is upset" doesn't rank high on a list of reasons to ban something that's a centuries-old British tradition, festive and fun.

Don't think anyone is saying ban it altogether, I do them for my kids on the 5th, its just way over the top and needs restricting a bit
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    As a dog owner (love being able to say that bit) I completely agree with the OP.

The fireworks scare the hell out of pets and it's really not fair on them. I just turn the TV right up at the moment.

It's more that it's for weeks at a time that is the issue.
  • Options
    My greyhound has spent the last 6 nights or so in bed shaking, and the border collie has barked non stop from nightfall to late. He will go clean through the window soon. I would stick them in Kennels out in the Kent countryside if it was for the Saturday and 5th, but it just goes on and on. Last night was a rainy Monday 3rd and the fireworks around me were constant. It's not the 5th yet and I am totally fecked off with them.
  • Options

Chunes said:

Come on now. They're a spectacle and they give people enjoyment, the whole family can get together and watch. Have you ever seen a kid look up at the sky with that look of wonder in their eyes, even if it's just a few crappy rockets? I have such fond memories of watching my Dad let off fireworks in the back garden, and eating a steaming hot, buttery jacket potato that got put in the bonfire, and the smell of the smoke on my clothes.

I'm truly sorry if your dog doesn't like it. But "my dog is upset" doesn't rank high on a list of reasons to ban something that's a centuries-old British tradition, festive and fun.

3 o'feckin clock in the morning!!!! I would suggest that rather than a jolly family get together around the fire roasting chestnuts and sampling delicious home baked potatoes dripping in pure creamy butter whilst watching a modest firework display admirably stewarded by Uncle Derek, the little feckers in my case were standing around gormless, pissed off their tiny minds emptying cheap cans of Stella Artois down their neck and being a complete anti social pain in the arse...
    I don't think you fix that situation by banning fireworks. You fix that situation by going full Liam Neeson.
  • Options
    Why do they make the fuses so short with them?

Light them then style it out with a sped-up 'cockney with piles' walk
  • Options
    1905 said:

My greyhound has spent the last 6 nights or so in bed shaking, and the border collie has barked non stop from nightfall to late. He will go clean through the window soon. I would stick them in Kennels out in the Kent countryside if it was for the Saturday and 5th, but it just goes on and on. Last night was a rainy Monday 3rd and the fireworks around me were constant. It's not the 5th yet and I am totally fecked off with them.

My Greyhound's reaction to fireworks is exactly the same as your's 1905. I invested in Adaptil plug-ins, an Adaptil dog collar plus Scullcap & Valerian tablets in order to try & calm him down, all to little effect I'm afraid. I'll be glad when it's all over, whenever that will be.

• Options
    Chunes said:

You know you're getting old when you're starting to complain about fireworks.

No idea how this lot slept during the blitz
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Itll be over just in time for New years eve and then another week of cheap bargain bin fireworks the youths can afford
  • Options

The children always liked a few fireworks in the back garden and I would imagine other peoples children and adults like and enjoy firework parties still.
    I do feel for the traumatised animals but they have to fit in with my world of humans not the other way around.
    When dogs learn to stop fouling the footpath outside my house I'll know they are making an effort to fit in with my world.

Erm, the problem, quite obviously is the human owner not picking up the poop, not the dog and it's same problem as the threads subject about fireworks - those who are thoughtless or simply don't care about anyone else.
  • Options
    Perhaps the dogs need loud noise training.
  • Options
    How about dogs that were bred to assist hunting. Are they more tolerant to the explosions? Presumably gun dogs were bred for their resistance to gunshots as well as fetching ability?
  • Options
    .image
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Anything that scares cats should be made even more readily available and encouraged.

Similar to what I was going to say. If dog owners are unhappy for ten days a year then that goes some way to making up for the grief their animals cause all year round. And don't bother with the usual 'it's a tiny minority' and 'you wouldn't say that if you met my lovely dog'.

This ! Shit on the floor, barking loud when outside in next doors garden. Not being on leads when taken for a 'walk'... The list goes on
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Why do they make the fuses so short with them?

What, the miserable old fekkers on here ?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    shine166 said:

Uboat said:

Anything that scares cats should be made even more readily available and encouraged.

Similar to what I was going to say. If dog owners are unhappy for ten days a year then that goes some way to making up for the grief their animals cause all year round. And don't bother with the usual 'it's a tiny minority' and 'you wouldn't say that if you met my lovely dog'.

This ! Shit on the floor, barking loud when outside in next doors garden. Not being on leads when taken for a 'walk'... The list goes on
    This is a thread about fireworks, not Millwall fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014
    *****HYPOCRYTE ALERT****

Just remembered. We used to let bangers off in the multi-story car park behind Leegate shopping centre circa 1975!

Now that did make a bang...
  • Options
    I can remember getting one of the big bangers you'd get in France on a school trip, light it, drop it in a milk bottle then put it in and old style red phone box and watch it blow the windows out.
  • Options

I can remember getting one of the big bangers you'd get in France on a school trip, light it, drop it in a milk bottle then put it in and old style red phone box and watch it blow the windows out.

Similar with a large chunk of Potassium in the toilets at school - took out 3 cubicles, all the sinks and the windows.
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

How about dogs that were bred to assist hunting. Are they more tolerant to the explosions? Presumably gun dogs were bred for their resistance to gunshots as well as fetching ability?

When I was younger I had a black labrador that came from a long line of working gun dogs and she was a nightmare around fireworks in the fact that she would go berserk in an excited way. Even pulling crackers on Christmas day would set her off.
  • Options
    My son collects the Match Attax football cards , all these fckers are getting stuck to rockets and sent up at the weekend

corinthianseller.co.uk/match-attax-2015-cards-crystal-palace.php
  • Options
    Shag said:

My son collects the Match Attax football cards , all these fckers are getting stuck to rockets and sent up at the weekend

corinthianseller.co.uk/match-attax-2015-cards-crystal-palace.php

I can bring my cat round to piss on them if you like.
  • Options

fattmatt said:

When I was younger I had a black labrador that came from a long line of working gun dogs and she was a nightmare around fireworks in the fact that she would go berserk in an excited way. Even pulling crackers on Christmas day would set her off.
    Must have been difficult for her to grip crackers with her paws.
  • Options
    I've been flagged on a firework thread, sensitive soul whoever you are.