Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yet another night of fireworks, when will this insanity of 10 days of this stuff end?

Comments

• Options
    Fumbluff said:

There are probably more important things to worry about to be fair.
    Like maybe vegetarian cuisine?

And adverts.
  • Options
    Or adverts for Quorn even. Oh, hang on.........
  • Options
    2014 had to be the quietest Firework Period for years. Maybe people have finally realised what a complete waste of money they are.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Only just seen this thread, but is it really complaining about too many fireworks?!
  • Options
    My dog is so unscared of fireworks we can't let him anywhere near them because the first year he was with us he:

1: Tried to catch a rocket with his mouth as it shot out of the bottle
    2: Jumped up and tried to grab a catherine wheel where we'd nailed it to a post
    3: Kept trying to grab sparklers.

Bloody hooligan.

Now he just dozes through the whole thing.
  • Options
    So what are the brain donors celebrating tonight in deepest Chatham?

The fact that they are complete and utter CNUTS?
  • Options
    Appallng as ever this year, reporting from downtown BeruitFalconwood
  • Options
    It's funny how much more annoying they get the older you get, the odd huge banger sends my dog into mad-dog mode, can't imagine how loud it must be for her poor girl.
  • Options
    Completely 'forgot' to take little one to a display this year.. He rumbled me tonight. So we watched Danson from the loft

• Options
    And its more like a month.. Myyyrrerr (old git) driving loki bonkers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not read the thread but in my opinion BAN sale of fireworks, organised displays only.

Anyone who has animals would agree to this. Have two dogs, and one is nervous all evening, even when they stop, she is still waiting for them to start again, been going on since Wednesday and will probably go on for another night or two. How I wished for torrential rain in the evening.
  • Options
    I haven't bought fireworks since the kids grew up (well, got old enough to get their own). It's not something I miss that much, but when I hear all the miserable old gits moaning about them it makes me want to rush out and set off a load of bangers - all wired up to a Marshall stack system.
  • Options
    razil said:

And its more like a month.. Myyyrrerr (old git) driving loki bonkers

I back onto Sutherland, thought its been the quietest for years .
    My old dog who died couple years back now was literally in a coma from October to January because of fireworks .
  • Options
    Well, I meantnthenweeks running up to fireworks nights
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Dogs are pack animals, they will look up to their owner as leader of the pack and pick up behavioural traits from you. If your dog is scared of fireworks then instead of letting it cower, stand up in the middle of the room, stand tall, look confident, thump your chest...act like pack leader and they will follow and be ok with it.
  • Options
    He just barks a lot
  • Options

Dogs are pack animals, they will look up to their owner as leader of the pack and pick up behavioural traits for you. If your dog is scared of fireworks then instead of letting it cower, stand up in the middle of the room, stand tall, look confident, thump your cheat...act like pack leader and they will follow and be ok with it.

Thanks for that, so what you saying is if I hide behind my chair I shouldn't be surprised if my dogs do? And if your dogs are not scared, but think every bang, crash or fecking whizz bang is someone coming into the house and are in danger of hurting theirselves protecting us. Then what is your advice?
    ;)
  • Options
    ^ can't help you with that TCE as I have never owned a dog just basically repeated what an expert at the Brockley Park country fair was telling everyone this summer... Lol!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheer up
  • Options

Cheer up

Me?
    All is good here, watching the Dirty Dozen with my wife surrounded by our dogs and even Charlton won. So life in the T.C.E household couldn't be much better.

• Options
    Since I was a child, have always preferred November 5th to Halloween.
  • Options
    Yeah, if I had a dog it would be scared of pumpkins
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Admittedly as a grumpy old man, I have observed a lack of control nowadays. When I was young, bonfire night was on 5 November, whether it be a weekday, raining or clear. We did it properly, making our guy and building a bonfire and letting off cheap fireworks in the garden, followed by sausages and jacket potatoes with a catherine wheel cake for desert. Now everything starts early and goes on forever. Dogs hate it and rather than having to put up with it for a day, pet owners have to put up with upset animals for months. We live in a me me me society, so who cares!

And the most we ever did for halloween was bob for a few apples at school, and watch horror movies on the tv. Nobody knew what trick or treating was.

It is the same with Christmas. It seems to have started already. I remember when companies couldn't show a Christmas ad on the tv until 1 December. Christmas is less magical when it starts in September - that is the sad fact.

Basically, it is about self control. An attribute that nobody today seems to care too much about!
  • Options
    razil said:

Completely 'forgot' to take little one to a display this year.. He rumbled me tonight. So we watched Danson from the loft

Someone tell the Americans that Syria is further south.
  • Options
    Lokis still traumatised this morning, very quiet lying by the tv, grumpy as hell, bitten me once so far - most unlike him
  • Options
    At least Guy Fawkes had the good grace to execute his plot in November and not say June, else fireworks displays would have to start at 10pm.
  • Options
    This "insanity" will probably end when some minority group gets offended by it.

In the meantime, it's an unusual celebration of a foiled attempt to overthrow the monarchy, (driven by religious differences).

The UK is now a country that many want to settle in, to escape the violence in their own countries (driven by religious differences).
  • Options
    No laughing matter when gangs are letting off fireworks next to the bus stop you're standing at. But we are talking Woolwich here. And that was last Saturday.