Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket World Cup 2015 (and build up to)

Comments

• Options
    All over. Aussies win by 112 runs.
  • Options
    Don't get Woakes selection.
  • Options
    Another hammering .. batting as fragile as a pappadum but not as crisp .. too much bowling tailor made for smacking about .. all in all England are dross ... as @Absurdistan writes .. why Woakes ? a k a woeful Woakes ... why no Hales, why no Ballance and (although not in great form prior to the selection) and why no Ben Stokes ?
    When this next tournament is done there must be a wholesale change to the England set up. Central contracts mean that too many players hang around for too long with a complacent attitude. County cricket is full with talented and aggressive young batsmen with a MODERN approach to the game .. Billings anyone, Roy ? .. jobs for the boys, the Bells, Boparas and Morgans, even the Andersons and Broads must be put under more pressure to justify their selections, although in the bowling department, the English stock cupboard is rather bare so far as I can see.
  • Options

Another hammering .. batting as fragile as a pappadum but not as crisp .. too much bowling tailor made for smacking about .. all in all England are dross ... as @Absurdistan writes .. why Woakes ? a k a woeful Woakes ... why no Hales, why no Ballance and (although not in great form prior to the selection) and why no Ben Stokes ?
    When this next tournament is done there must be a wholesale change to the England set up. Central contracts mean that too many players hang around for too long with a complacent attitude. County cricket is full with talented and aggressive young batsmen with a MODERN approach to the game .. Billings anyone, Roy ? .. jobs for the boys, the Bells, Boparas and Morgans, even the Andersons and Broads must be put under more pressure to justify their selections, although in the bowling department, the English stock cupboard is rather bare so far as I can see.

Thought Jimmy bowled well.
    The worrying thing about today is it seemed men against boys - even when we win the toss in favourable conditions to bowl and then bat in perfect batting conditions , we get blown away - though, must admit, Ali's 'out' delivery was a brute. However, we are not going to come up against a bowling attack like Oz again, yeah, SA have got Steyn and Morkel, but after that its a bit thin.
  • Options
    I think that's the key. We are a promising young side and in the World Cup, I suspect we'll ease through our group. It'll be the latter stages against the top tier, world class bowling attacks where England will be bowled out cheaply.

It'd also help if one of the opening bowlers didn't go for 89 runs in 10 overs. With Ali spinning it well, I'd be thinking about bringing Chris Jordan back into the team rather than Tredwell. 20 overs of spin in Australia is probably too much.
  • Options

I think that's the key. We are a promising young side and in the World Cup, I suspect we'll ease through our group. It'll be the latter stages against the top tier, world class bowling attacks where England will be bowled out cheaply.

It'd also help if one of the opening bowlers didn't go for 89 runs in 10 overs. With Ali spinning it well, I'd be thinking about bringing Chris Jordan back into the team rather than Tredwell. 20 overs of spin in Australia is probably too much.

Ah, but will we ease through ? You would think that Oz,NZ,SL, Eng would get through, however, should England lose to , say, Bangladesh (which is quite possible given propensity to lose to Holland,Ireland etc in past WC's) However, my expectancy would be for us to get through in 3rd (assumption that we lose to Oz and NZ but beat SL), then we will likely face either Pak or India (who will likely finish 2nd in Group A) - now, that might not be a bad gig for us - especially as we seem to have the wood on India at the moment. So, get to the semis and you never know what might happen, say, Jimmy bowling on a green-un (it does happen, even in Oz) - and maybe Oz have been dispatched in the quarters or semis .
    Its a long shot, but its quite possible.
  • Options
    I would have us down as favourites against sub continent teams on the Australian pitches, given how we beat India quite comfortable twice in two games. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself though.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I would have us down as favourites against sub continent teams on the Australian pitches, given how we beat India quite comfortable twice in two games. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself though.

Think you may be Callum - India are going through a crisis at the moment with confidence - their bowlers are not good enough for non sub-continent conditions, however, I wouldn't back against a side that has Dhoni in it - also I wouldn't want to face Akbar for Pakistan (but I've got it in the back of my mind that he might be injured/banned?? - could be totally wrong with that).

Think we might surprise ourselves by going maybe all the way to the Final - lets hope we don't get Oz when/if we get there - coz,aside from NZ and SA's batting, the other sides aint all that .Though for me the clever money would be going on NZ.
  • Options
    Coming back to the current tour, Oz pulled a fast one on us in the Tri Nations Tournament by using Perth as Final venue - knowing that it is Johnsons home ground and always the ground where he demolishes sides (think England, even when we won the Ashes down under) - and they knew that he would be almost unplayable.
  • Options
    NZ posted 369-5 today and beat Pakistan by 119 runs.

Their biggest issue is that they have so many players in form they are going to struggle to big a first X1.

Brendon McCullum, Williamson, Taylor, Elliott, Anderson and Ronchi have all got at least one hundred in the last couple of weeks. Even Guptill, who hasn't done so, averages 33 opening in the last seven innings and hit 76 today so is not exactly out of form.

On the fast bowling front they have Boult, Milne, Southee, Mills, Anderson, McClenaghan and Elliott to call on.

And then they have to choose between Vettori and Nathan McCullum.

Oh that we had NZ's problems.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pietersen joining TMS for the knock out stages of the World Cup...
  • Options

NZ posted 369-5 today and beat Pakistan by 119 runs.

Their biggest issue is that they have so many players in form they are going to struggle to big a first X1.

Brendon McCullum, Williamson, Taylor, Elliott, Anderson and Ronchi have all got at least one hundred in the last couple of weeks. Even Guptill, who hasn't done so, averages 33 opening in the last seven innings and hit 76 today so is not exactly out of form.

On the fast bowling front they have Boult, Milne, Southee, Mills, Anderson, McClenaghan and Elliott to call on.

And then they have to choose between Vettori and Nathan McCullum.

Oh that we had NZ's problems.

Of those, i like McClenaghan - top bowler, and the lefty we've always yearned for.
  • Options
    It has annoyed me for a while that England u derived use their part time bowlers in all formats of the game! If one bowler (Woakes) is having good a bad day and getting smash why keep throwing the ball to him when his confidence is shattered! why not give bopara or root an over and see what they can do..
  • Options
    Nz are my pick as well. Kane williamson is going to be regarded as a great one day
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Is Ryder in the NZ squad?

Edit: answer is no, this is the squad..
    Brendon McCullum (captain), Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Grant Elliott, Martin Guptill, Tom Latham, Mitchell McClenaghan, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Adam Milne, Luke Ronchi (wkt), Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Daniel Vettori, Kane Williamson.

If you consider a line-up of
    Guptill
    Williamson
    McCullum
    Taylor
    Latham
    Anderson
    Ronchi
    Vettori
    McCullum
    Southee
    McClenaghan

Then that's not a bad side !
  • Options
    This is the SA squad..

Kyle Abbott, Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock (wk), AB de Villiers (capt & wk), JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Aaron Phangiso, Vernon Philander, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir.

Potentail line-up of...
    Amla
    Roussouw
    Du Plessis
    ABDV
    Miller
    Duminy
    Parnell
    Philander
    Steyn
    Morkel
    Phangiso

Heavyweight batting line-up, but long tail !

• Options

Is Ryder in the NZ squad?

Edit: answer is no, this is the squad..
    Brendon McCullum (captain), Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Grant Elliott, Martin Guptill, Tom Latham, Mitchell McClenaghan, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Adam Milne, Luke Ronchi (wkt), Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Daniel Vettori, Kane Williamson.

If you consider a line-up of
    Guptill
    Williamson
    McCullum
    Taylor
    Latham
    Anderson
    Ronchi
    Vettori
    McCullum
    Southee
    McClenaghan

Then that's not a bad side !

I think Grant Elliott will play instead of Latham.

Elliott recently against SL/Pakistan series had scores of 1, 44, 104*, 21*, 24, 64* & 28 - that's 286 runs at an average of 71.5. He also offers them an extra bowling option.

For all his promise in Test matches, Latham only averages 23.9 in ODIs and this was reflected against SL/Pakistan series where he scored just 91 runs in five innings.

I also don't think that they will go in with two spinners and would expect Trent Boult to replace either Vettori or nathan McCullum.
  • Options
    New Zealand are the 'dark horses' for every bloody one day tournament !!!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

New Zealand are the 'dark horses' for every bloody one day tournament !!!

Not quite so dark for this one 'cos so many of the other countries are coming into the tournament in such poor form.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    England have two warm-up games at the SCG against WI and Pakistan, on Monday and Wednesday morning.

Then first group game against Australia is next Saturday morning at MCG, followed by:

20/2: NZ v England, Wellington
    23/2: England v Scotland, Christchurch
    1/3: England v Sri Lanka, Wellington
    9/3: England v Bangladesh, Adelaide
    13/3: England v Afghanistan, Sydney
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1st warm up game against West Indies tomorrow morning at 3.30am. Don't think it's being televised though
  • Options
    Sky are showing highlights after the game is over.

There might be a stream online somewhere if you're desperate to watch in the morning.
  • Options
    Bumped into Tim Abraham of Sky last Sunday in Esher High Street. Off to Oz last Monday, so no doubt we will be getting his reports on SSN.
  • Options

1st warm up game against West Indies tomorrow morning at 3.30am. Don't think it's being televised though

http://cricfree.sx/watch/live/england-vs-west-indies-live-streaming
  • Options
    WI all out for 122 inside thirty overs.
  • Options
    England won by nine wickets.
  • Options
    Highlights on SS2 from 6:30 until 7:30, and 9:30 until 10:30.
  • Options
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup-2015-preview-all-of-your-questions-about-the-tournament-answered-10034531.html

A nice round up but I think it's overall pessimistic of England's chances.

I couldn't complain if we made it to the semi-final stage but I think "triumph" is stretching it.
  • Options
    Woakes 5/19. That's him starting then...
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Woakes 5/19. That's him starting then...

Yep, unfortunately.