Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket World Cup 2015 (and build up to)

Comments

• Options
    Highlights of AB de Villiers on SS2 now.
  • Options

Not WC or even England related, but if you get a chance , have a look at Cameron Whites dismissal today in the BBL Stars v Thunder.
    Outstanding.

Yes it was but I'm in agreement with Cameron White because my understanding is that the feet had to be grounded inside the rope when you actually finally take the catch. Otherwise you could be over the just over the rope when you take it in the air and with forward momentum land inside the field of play i.e. walking in when you take it.

I'm happy to be corrected if someone can find the relevant law which I've struggled to do!
    I finally got to see this catch and I have to say that if Cameron White really is complaining about this dismissal then it shows him in a poor light with more than a suggestion of sour grapes.
    I don't honestly think there's any difference between this catch and any other where the ball is tossed up and recaught to avoid the six. There have been plenty of these in the past and the only reaction they ever get is admiration for the fielder (or fielders in some cases) and rightly so in my opinion.
    Admittedly, he's beyond the boundary (but in the air) when he grabs the ball the second time, but he lands inside the rope - this has always been considered as acceptable and I don't see why it shouldn't be now.

For anyone still questioning it, imagine a situation where a fielder is on the boundary and sees a ball flying towards him, but just too high for him to jump and grab it. If he has the vision and athleticism to retreat beyond the boundary, then take a running jump to catch the ball and allow his momentum to carry him back into play, would anyone really deny that man the right to claim an extraordinary catch? Surely that would go against all the principles of sporting endeavour?

Personally, i think any rule that would negate a brilliant piece of fielding like that coz of a minor technicality is a rule that needs to be dumped.

At the end of the day...I agree with this. (I just waffled a bit more!)
    In the same way would you change the law to not give a goal if a defender made the most spectacular of overhead kicks to deny a goal when the ball is clearly over the line?
    Ridiculous. Completely different sports with completely different rules.
    The laws of football take the position of the ball in mid-air into consideration. The laws of cricket don't.
    You can't just substitute in the laws of football because that's the only way to support your argument.

The only way to make it comparable would be if a player came from being in the back of the net, then making a spectacular diving header from there to prevent the ball crossing the line. Then, yes it would be no goal. No change in the law necessary.

Might be ridiculous to you but I believe that that is what the cricket authorities are saying - that you are penalising a batsman who gets the ball over the line. That is why the feet have to be grounded in the field of play when the catch is taken.

Look at it another way - what's to stop fielder A being over the six feet line and in mid air catches it and throws it back to the fielder B who is inside the rope? The catch is taken by the fielder inside the rope but he is aided by the player off the pitch.

Then i'd applaud fielder A and B for a brilliantly worked and novel dismissal . If anyone is going to create rules in order to lessen entertainment, then they need a Kookaburra up their jacksie.
  • Options
    Anyway, if we're talking about great catches there has been one in the Thunder vs Sixers game currently being played.

It's taken by Jordan Silk to dismiss Chris Green. Simply amazing.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Absolutely unbelievable win for the Sixers. Five wickets down they win it by scoring 56 off the last three overs. Lalor went into the final over having taken 4-6 off his previous three overs and went for 23 of his final six balls!

To put it in perspective £330K was matched at 1.01 on Betfair on the Thunder, £1.88m at 1.02 and £1.47m at 1.03!

Talking about Jordan Silk, not only a great catch but a fantastic innings today with 69 off 43 for the Sixers. First time I've really looked at him but very good hands so can work it round but also capable of the big shots too.

Scores in Big Bash have been 31*, 23, 10, 37*, 29*, 67 & 69* today. That's 266 runs in seven innings at an average of 88.67 which in T20 is some going.

Only 22 and expect to see him on the International stage one day.
  • Options
    Looks like quite some last 3 overs
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Next game is in the morning. 3am start for Australia vs England. Aussies missing some key players.
  • Options
    Lamest blackmail attempt ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Australia win the toss and England bat first.

Warner, Watson and Bailey are out of the team. White, Henriques and Marsh replace them. England unchanged from the win against India.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    England make a subtle but useful change for the first over to combat Starc's inswing that got both Bell and Taylor last week. Ali opens the batting and scores four runs.

4-0, 1 over.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    might watch it for 4 minutes until ITV nightscreen starts

;)
  • Options
    Bell looking to play his shots against Starc. Picks up three fours in an over.

19-0, 3 overs.
  • Options
    More runs in the next over! Bell now 22 from 13.

28-0, 4 overs.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Now Moeen Ali hits three sixes in a row to get himself going.

66-0, 9 overs.
    Ali 29(27)
    Bell 37(27)
  • Options
    98-0, 15 overs.
    Ali 44(43)
    Bell 53(47)
  • Options
    113-1, 17.4 overs.

Ali spoons one up in the air, caught by cover.
    Out for 46(48): c Doherty, b Faulkner
  • Options
    Poor shot selection from MA, especially with Bell firing. Now Taylor gone, just give Bell the strike, no need to play recklessly
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    131-2, 22.2 overs.

Taylor never looked comfortable. Easy catch for mid-off when he was feeling for his first boundary.
    Out for 5(14): c Faulkner, b Henriques
  • Options
    Hadn't noticed Taylor's "trigger" movement previously but, as highlighted, his front foot shifts to the leg side and then goes back again to where it started.

Only issue with that is that a movement like that can unbalance the batsman. It also all depends on whether it's something he's used to doing or something that has only just developed in which case he needs to lose it because it's probably not helping him.
  • Options
    150-2, 25 overs.
    Exactly a run per ball.

Bell 92(81)
    Root 5(8)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bell gets to a hundred from 92 balls.

177-2, 30.4 overs
    Bell 100(92)
    Root 24(30)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    201-2, 34 overs.
    Setting a very good platform here. We've got to start thinking about upping the run rate for the final 10-15 overs.

Bell 108(99)
    Root 40(43)
  • Options

Bell's average of 41.00 when opening in ODI's is right up there.

Bell's real issue has always been confidence and that he has not, until the last few years, believed that he actually belongs in the England team. He is though someone who, unlike Cook, could bat for 40 overs and actually get 120 in that time and set the platform for the big hitters to come in the final 10 overs.

Bell's got his 120 here off 111 balls and in the 38th over and he's given us exactly the right sort of start, all achieved with the minimum of fuss. He is also now the leading run scorer of all time in ODIs for England,

Root is looking in great touch too - 48 off 54 balls.

Having said that, the pitch does look a belter and we will probably need over 320 - even with the Aussies being without Warner, Watson and Bailey.
  • Options
    227-2 off 38.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Bell out for 141 (125) swiftly followed by a golden duck from Morgan.

254-4 off 41.4
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Root out for 69 (70).

275-5 off 44.4

Buttler 9 (10) and Bopara coming in to join him.
  • Options
    Bopara doesn't cover himself in glory in getting just two off the 46th over.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Getting peed off with the slow run rate. It's going to cost us the game after a great first 30 overs if we're not careful.
  • Options
    Buttler and Bopara both look like players who haven't been to the wicket too much recently.

292-5 with just two overs to go.
  • Options
    Bopara out for 7 (16) simply not good enough at the death.

303-6 off 49.4