Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views - Ipswich vs Charlton - December 2014

Comments

• Options
    Behave, don,t cheese off the rose tinted gang, the shit results against Blackpool and Millwall never happened. We are building for next season in their world. The fact that any decent player will leave at the end of the season is not in their thinking.

We are poor and getting worse ! Is it Bobs fault ? He seems to have turned an average side playing above itself, into an average one playing below !

Glass half empty, will still be playing Millwall next year is my view .
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Typical big Mick set play bombardment and the pressure from corners finally told. We had our chances the best fell to George who failed to convert first half and apparently Igor had a reasonable one second half but it's water under the bridge now and in the end it could have been 4 or 5 when the heads went down after the 3rd goal.

No need to panic but you know what is required Rolly, so if you want to have a stress free second half of the season, get some reinforcements in apart from Mr Watt ASAP.

Not sure whether or not you were there Red? If not, I can assure you that there was little 'bombardment' from Ipswich. Unless, of course, you class putting a corner into the box as bombardment. Ipswich barely needed to get out of third gear and made sure they did enough to win easily. It was grim.
  • Options
    Played some good stuff at times but looked toothless up front. Their CBs had Veto in their pocket & George was a disappointment. Fluffed both his chances & was booked for a disgraceful dive.

JBG was our only threat and I thought we went to pieces after JJ went off. Should be able to defend set pieces better too.

Still think we'll be alright & don't get the relegation mongers.
  • Options
    Wasn't expecting a positive result tonight and wasn't there so can't really comment on the performance. Same problems of not taking chances and conceding goals, only this time against a better side who punished us.

We are about where I expected/hoped we would be. Even with the great start I wasn't convinced we were that good. Would prefer if results and performances were more mixed up though because a run of poor performances and results makes things nervous and can become a bad habit.
    Not convinced by Peeters overall but still early days as a manager and obviously he can't be judged in the same way others have been (apparently).

Ah well. Still think we can avoid relegation, as was this seasons target.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

To be honest I'm not too fussed by losing 3-0 to top of table Ipswich at their ground, it's the dropped points against the likes of Millwall and Blackpool that are going to get us in to trouble. I'm one of the rose tinted optimists and I am getting nervous over brightens visit and if I am then God knows how the team will feel.

This!
    We can chill watching the cup with perhaps an addition or two?
    We have a scouting network which has landed Gudmundsson, Vetokele and Coquelin which several steps up on anything delivered in 2013. But M.Duchatelet is not known for throwing millions at a drowning coach.

There is pressure building which will be eased if we get a jammy win vs Brighton. I don't know when Wiggins is back but I'm fairly sure Solly is a decent left back and I know sweet FA about the technical side of football.

Incidentally, Oddschecker states Pierce, Slade and Holloway are favourites for the next championship manager to get the chop. With Peeters an outsider at 40:1

And re Ipswich - Keene spent a fortune and Mccarthy has simply come in and got the best out of them with the addition of a couple of strikers (hint hint!) They are a similar club to us but they lose £10m a year which is what it takes to be top six.
  • Options
    Listened on the radio. Sounded like we created a few chances but you knew we wouldn't put them away. I don't think I've known a strike force to be so poor at one on one's.

Looks like Watt is coming in and hopefully he will make a difference but we need more. We're in a terrible run and we have decent player's, everyone need's to improve.
  • Options
    Let's be honest, did we really believe we would get anything from this game, we couldn't even beat Blackpool at home, who by far and away the worst team in the division.

Something has to give, if we are to curtail a downwards trajectory.

Wondering if Bobs on borrowed time, if you believe in him Roland , then back him with a new contract and some quality signings in January.
  • Options
    I wasn't at the game so can't really comment on that, but the general trend is not looking good. It's worrying that we're hardly picking up any points at the moment. I'd love to think it was just a blip and that things will work themselves out soon, but I don't honestly believe that. We can still say it's our best season to-date since returning to the Championship, but I fear that come the Brighton match it won't be true anymore. We haven't had back to back wins since August, our only goalscorer is off-form and the defence that people were raving about earlier in the season hasn't kept a clean sheet in six matches. For all that, I agree with the poster above who said that they don't think we're too far off of having a reasonable team, but we are badly paying the price for not being able to score goals. Something needs to be done in this transfer window if we are not in line a for a very uncomfortable springtime. I usually think of myself as one of our more optimistic fans, but if there are any reasons to be optimistic at the moment, I'd love to be reminded of them.

• Options
    After a flowing move in the first 2 minutes I thought hold up we could be in with a shout here.

Then we just....stopped.

Ipswich are nothing special. They are well drilled and have a good centre forward who holds the ball up and brings others into play (take note Tucadean). A proper Big Mick side.

We enjoyed some good possession but in the last third we look clueless. JBG showed some nice touches but if we are relying on his 35 yard goals every week then we ain't ever gonna win games.

Felt sorry for Gomez as well. He had a stinker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, VG. I did the same as you in your first sentence. It was a quality move, we just didn't sustain it. It's the hope that kills you!
  • Options
    Our players are stupid there defenders won every header so what do we do we keep kicking up to George and Igor at head height for them to lose the ball and it come straight back at us. The couple of times we play it along the floor with fast attacking football we got in.

We also manage to go from attacking to our two centre halves ending up with the ball in our own half that makes perfect sense that's the reason we have so much possession because it always away from there goal with them having 11 men behind it, you are not gonna beat teams from the halfway line, we need to attack and fast driving at them not turning round and going backwards other teams must laugh at us we completely lack ideas and goals, even from corners we don't clear the first man it's a joke.
  • Options
    Like Kap i felt more flat after the games against millwall and Blackpool, than tonight.
    Gomez is a gifted young player, don't play him at LB.

I still wish the CL who are so obsessed with Millwall and Palace and gloating at them
    would spend more time supporting CAFC rather than shitting themselves the 1st time we drop into the
    bottom half of the table.

I agree with Henry because we were in the top 8 at the time Roland decided not to bring in the extra strikers in the loan window.
    Igor has loss form and George is more of a link player who needs a goal scoring forward along side him.

The rub of the green we got at the beginning of the season has gone for now.

We have done the Yann thread to death but the irony is to get a consistent championship goal scorer
    we will have to offer more in wages than the Frenchman wanted. Fact not fiction.

• Options
    The other problem is our lack of a left sided player. Solly drives forward, especially as wing back and he opens so much space. Cousins never made a forward pass all night on the left.
  • Options

Listened on the radio. Sounded like we created a few chances but you knew we wouldn't put them away. I don't think I've known a strike force to be so poor at one on one's.

Looks like Watt is coming in and hopefully he will make a difference but we need more. We're in a terrible run and we have decent player's, everyone need's to improve.

Couldn't agree more about the one-on-ones. Mendonca, Bent, Hales - all quality in this department, but since Bent I'm struggling to name a forward who'd convert these regularly. Sometimes looks like a one-on-one is an out-of-body experience for our strikers.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

RedChaser said:

Typical big Mick set play bombardment and the pressure from corners finally told. We had our chances the best fell to George who failed to convert first half and apparently Igor had a reasonable one second half but it's water under the bridge now and in the end it could have been 4 or 5 when the heads went down after the 3rd goal.

No need to panic but you know what is required Rolly, so if you want to have a stress free second half of the season, get some reinforcements in apart from Mr Watt ASAP.

Not sure whether or not you were there Red? If not, I can assure you that there was little 'bombardment' from Ipswich. Unless, of course, you class putting a corner into the box as bombardment. Ipswich barely needed to get out of third gear and made sure they did enough to win easily. It was grim.
    Wasn't there mate but listened to the radio coverage from start to finish and I used the term bombardment purely in respect of the 16 corners Ipswich had. Although the ball must have been in our final third a lot to keep conceding so many corners. I've seen the goals since on SSN and the first two were avoidable if defended properly. Law of averages says however if you get the ball in the box often enough chances will come your way. I understand the heads went down after the 3rd albeit in injury time and could have been even worse and felt for you hardy soles who made the trip, with less than half the team putting in a shift was just not good enough.
  • Options
    We huffed and puffed and got nowhere. Lots of tippy tappy around the middle but absolutely no bite. Our creativity going forward was none existent. I wouldn't blame it on any one player. I think they were all pretty bad.

I think teams have sussed us now and they know we just can't score. So, they don't have to push too much but score a goal and then there's a bloody good chance we won't get back. Score two and it's an impossible task for us to get back.

I think questions need to be asked about Bob's approach to the games. As a striker himself he doesn't seem to know how to create chances.

And, also, doesn't Buyens know that it is allowed to pass forwards in a football game.

That was a pretty pathetic performance.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2014
    I've just gone back and looked at the previous posts on this thread after writing my post above. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that we created chances and just couldn't put them away, or that we had a couple of one on ones that we missed. I think it must have been very deluded commentary that they were listening to. I only remember one real effort the whole game that came anywhere near a goal and that was JJ's header that was about a foot over the bar.

This was easy for Ipswich. They never needed to get out of 2nd gear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can people wait to see what actually happens in January before sticking the knife in.

This whole month it's felt that the squad were just waiting for reinforcements to come in, and i'm sure Bob is expecting some new faces in this window.

But there's the rub.

The new faces were needed when we doing well to keep moving forward. They didn't come other than Coquelin who then left.

The "promise" was jam tomorrow if we were still near the top six. But now we're not, largely IMHO because we didn't strengthen when we were doing well.
    That is it exactly, it is a catch twenty two. The investment should have been forthcoming in the August Transfer window. I have been saying all Season that the squad is not strong enough. We are using a small band aid to cover a gaping wound.

• Options

BP: “They have six good headers of the ball and you can’t do anything about it when you only have two or three. They scored their goal and at half time we said we were still in the game and needed to try and score a goal."

Never anything you can do is there Bob? Generally only one player at a time can header the ball, if he is correctly marked he won't get that chance. Zonal marking is the problem in this case, not the strength of our players.. stop outing the players and take some slack yourself. And if they aren't good enough at heading, then get them practicing that during training you do every day. Excuses excuses...

He can be very Pardew sometimes. Takes all the credit when we win but blames the players when we lose.
  • Options

I bet Wilson is wondering who's he's upset
    Our defense is a shambles at set pieces and he adds a bit of experience and willingng to move forward
    And even pops up with a goal occasionally

Agree with this. I reckon he'll be off in January.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

purdis said:

Harsh result.

Ipswich very direct but McCarthy has got a good blend of physical strength, height and Murphy & McGoldrick up front to do the damage.
    Think he has the right mix to get them up but CAFC might have got a point on another day and played some decent stuff - ironically, all the things I've been asking for such as better movement and quicker ball, they delivered but up against a very strong, physical Ipswich back four, that simply wasn't enough.

McGoldrick was a class above and probably deserved a goal on his overall performance - he was their best player by far, as Gudmundsson was ours.

I hope we can keep Gudmundsson next season - he's a player that several Prem clubs would look to poach.

Special mention also for Buyens & Ben Haim who both stood out as quality.

THIS !

Just in, watched Eastenders ( who DID kill Lucy ???) and starting reading people's thoughts on the match.

Reached as far as purdis' post and totally agree with his comments.

We started with more aggression and attacking moves than I believe I've seen all season and what a nice change it made ! Our passing on the whole was slick and our forward movement was a sight to behold !

Unfortunately, Town are a better set up team than us at this moment in time & Big Mick has them playing with confidence, strength & as a unit. And of course, they have several players who can score goals for fun and are making a habit of it recently.

All of the above plus the fact that, sadly we have players who cannot score goals for toffee, meant we were ripe for the taking. And, I don't believe we won any balls in the air all match.....

For me, a positive to be taken was our decision to attack from the off and can only hope that this continues ad infintum especially as our defence has been pretty solid thus far. Not sure why the back four was tinkered with during the game though & wonder what the commentators made of the change...

The negatives were the number of corners conceded, the number of goals conceded( which I feel wasn't a true reflection of our performance) and, no surprise our lack of options/personnel with the required skills in & around the opposition's box.

But there's no denying that Ipswich are a force to be reckoned with this season, believe me.

Just as there's no denying that we need another proven striker. George failed miserably tonight IMO which is disappointing and Igor could not shake off his marker, albeit that few balls were played to his feet.

We are not the fourth worse team in the Championship and the aim must be to finish outside the relegation places....tell us something we don't already know, Fan ! Time will tell whether the squad will be strengthened in January - if not, I feel we do have the players & the manager to ensure we remain in this league. We need to win our home games from now on - end of and that's why we, the supporters must try to stay positive and get behind the lads. Anyone at The Valley last Saturday will testify that we were the 12th ( or in that case, the 11th) man/woman. The support at Ipswich was brilliant until the 3rd goal went in so well done to all who travelled & made some noise.

If a strong team is put out on Saturday, it will be interesting to see how we approach the game from the start....lessons must have been learnt from the disastrous start at Ewood Park. A win is a win, whether it be in the Cup or for the 3 points on offer and the confidence gained from a job well done could be the springboard to the rest of our season.

So, let's put tonight behind us, trust that Big Bob will work on the weaknesses he saw and come out fighting on Saturday.

And that's not just the team.......

Keep the faith.

Good post.
    I think CAFC were forced to play football as Ipswich are so strong in the air as you pointed out. We had 57% possession which was a real positive and we played the ball around nicely and often quickly which again is a positive.

Ipswich defended in numbers and recovered as a team and in depth when losing possession.

The first two goals were avoidable and the second was very fortunate - the rub of the green for Ipswich on this occasion.

When we went more three at the back near the end we left ourselves wide open to their long ball/direct game.

This was actually a better Charlton performance than I expected and it will have shown Bob a few things.
    Firstly, you need strength - physical players, to get out of this division.
    Look at Stoke when they went up, look at Watford and now look at Ipswich.
    We have strength in defence in Bikey & Ben Haim.
    We don!t have it up front - George was eaten alive last night and that put more pressure on Igor and by 65 mins he was knackered.

Against lesser teams we will have enough to win games by playing football.
    Igor & George were up against Mick McCarthy's carefully chosen centre backs last night and they really are very, very good - there won't be many games more where they'll come up against that quality.

So, Bob now knows that he needs a decent striker so his decision on Watt will have now been made certain - whether there are others in the pipeline, time will tell.

Secondly, I concede, we probably do need a couple of Championship journeymen like Ipswich have got, who know the ropes and all the tricks at this level - question is who and are they available? Hopefully the scouting team are on with this and Bob has his budget/funding already in place from RD.

As for the defensive changes last night.
    We lost Onyemi to a hamstring injury before the game.
    Gomez was having a mare at left back so Bob swapped him to RB where he was a lot better.
    We went more 3 at the back near the end along with the players' heads had dropped.

The difference between the two teams, imho, was only when going forward - Murphy and McGoldrick big, physical lads - good in the air, good on the floor and can cope with strong defenders.

Yes, it was very disappointing to lose 3-0.
    No, it should not be the end of the world - this Charlton team is decent - just needs tweaking (for some reason I nearly wrote 'needs twerking"!').

Let's hope Big Bob has things in place for early January recruitment.

• Options
    Rob said:

I've just gone back and looked at the previous posts on this thread after writing my post above. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that we created chances and just couldn't put them away, or that we had a couple of one on ones that we missed. I think it must have been very deluded commentary that they were listening to. I only remember one real effort the whole game that came anywhere near a goal and that was JJ's header that was about a foot over the bar.

Chances or opportunities that I can remember were;

Ball flashed across goal after 2 mins
    George sliding and the keeper saving when he should of stayed on his feet.
    George completely messing up the 3 on 2
    Near post flick from corner that went straight across goal
    JJ header that went tamely over the bar
    JBG near post shot that keeper pushed over

That's as good as it got I think. We never really had many clear cut chances at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Rob said:

That's as good as it got I think. We never really had many clear cut chances at all.
    Late on didn't Bikey put a good header across the box from a decent JBG delivery which Igor failed to get enough on with his head to trouble the keeper?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Rob said:

Late on didn't Bikey put a good header across the box from a decent JBG delivery which Igor failed to get enough on with his head to trouble the keeper?
    I left at 87 mins so missed that!!
  • Options
    Was at the game don't think we played that bad.Ipswich full of confidence and the 2 up front are a real handful.Start of second half we were knocking the ball around and even the Ipswich fans were moaning because they couldn't get the ball.What was a concern was that every corner they had we looked like conceding a goal.The back four were solid Gomez looked really good George im afraid that summed him up last night poor first touch and never looks like scoring and booked for diving really hope Igor gets help up front with him soon.