Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views - Ipswich vs Charlton - December 2014

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Not only are we conceding too many goals at set pieces we are not scoring many from them - might the solution be a bit more practice at them in training?
  • Options
    Reading all these comments still leaves me confused. (I don't think in this instance it is just my age).

Did the team actually play 3-5-2 last night, with Solly and Cousins playing a wing-back role, or was it a straight forward 4-4-2 with Gomez at left back. (Or was it, as I fear, just a disorganised mess).
  • Options

purdis said:

Harsh result.

Ipswich very direct but McCarthy has got a good blend of physical strength, height and Murphy & McGoldrick up front to do the damage.

We started with more aggression and attacking moves than I believe I've seen all season and what a nice change it made ! Our passing on the whole was slick and our forward movement was a sight to behold !

Unfortunately, Town are a better set up team than us at this moment in time & Big Mick has them playing with confidence, strength & as a unit. And of course, they have several players who can score goals for fun and are making a habit of it recently.

All of the above plus the fact that, sadly we have players who cannot score goals for toffee, meant we were ripe for the taking. And, I don't believe we won any balls in the air all match.....

Keep the faith.

Fanny, your posts are always good for morale! Do you (wo)man any phone lines tonight by any chance? Constructively written but may I comment on your emboldened points?

"Ipswich very direct" - I think this is a bit of a misnomer because their manager is McCarthy. I think Charlton tried to be more direct last night, hence your point about not winning any headers. Ipswich were slick and quick at times last night and out passed us.

"We started with more agression and attacking moves......." Totally agree, but the remaining 80 minutes of monotony kind of nullifies that observation. it was really encouraging to start with (yes, for a whole ten minutes) but then we reverted to type. What's so frustrating is that we show in glimpses what we can do.

"I don't believe we won any balls in the air all match" Correct - So why keep lumping it to Vetokele? Pointless also just lumping it to Tucadean as he's always on the floor! Out of interest, what would you score him for his dives? I thought the first (for which he didn't get booked) had far more technical merit than the second!

Oh how we see the games differently!!

Happy New Year Fanny. And absolutely keep the faith.
    Points taken as always, bazjonster. I merely say it the way I see it... with my memory getting worse by the year ! Perhaps I have a selective memory which picks out the good, the bad, the ugly but not the grey areas.

When you ask whether I "man any phone lines " I assume you mean The Samaritans ? Lol.

Happy New Year to you too.

Guess I'm programmed to keep the faith ....

• Options

Reading all these comments still leaves me confused. (I don't think in this instance it is just my age).

Did the team actually play 3-5-2 last night, with Solly and Cousins playing a wing-back role, or was it a straight forward 4-4-2 with Gomez at left back. (Or was it, as I fear, just a disorganised mess).

Yes.

( Says Confused of Dartford )

:-)

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Taken from the BBC website: Charlton manager Bob Peeters: "When you see the stats we should have won a few more games, but football is all about putting the ball in the net.

"We didn't play a bad game but we lost 3-0 and that is hard for the boys. It is all about scoring goals and that is what Ipswich did and we didn't. That has been the story of the last few weeks and the story of our season."

Bob, we, me, all of us know the main problem. Please powers that be at CAFC, do something about from it tomorrow ... you have 31 days to try and put things right(er)
  • Options

Taking into consideration our small squad and injuries, I am baffled by Peeters' decisions to further weaken our options by fielding players "out of position". Cousins' form has worsened by playing left wingback when we all know his best position is central midfield. Gomez, who appears to only have a right foot is now playing (poorly) at left back! Wilson, a competent full back, now not considered good enough to do anything other than warm the bench! It's obvious to me that Solly could temporarily cover at left back with Wilson or Gomez going to right back. Peeters may well be pressurised by Duchatelet into fielding youngsters asap. We know the owner's philosophy is to get them in the "shop window" early in their contracts so as to increase their selling potential/transfer worth. But someone has to use common sense and realise that playing youngsters out of position will only harm their confidence, decrease their transfer worth - and give us less chance of winning a game.

Bob does have a slightly redeeming quality in that he genuinely seems to encourage the young players. He's often seen hugging them, and singles them out for praise. That's good for motivation, but it doesn't transform them into "total footballers" who can play well in any position.

He's also singled out Pope and Fox and publicly criticised them. Not good management.
  • Options

BP: “They have six good headers of the ball and you can’t do anything about it when you only have two or three. They scored their goal and at half time we said we were still in the game and needed to try and score a goal."

Never anything you can do is there Bob? Generally only one player at a time can header the ball, if he is correctly marked he won't get that chance. Zonal marking is the problem in this case, not the strength of our players.. stop outing the players and take some slack yourself. And if they aren't good enough at heading, then get them practicing that during training you do every day. Excuses excuses...

Well if no one can head, then we have just found our second priority in the window, find someone who's good in the air
  • Options

Stats mean jack shit
    You can have 99 % posession but if you don't score and the opposition does in there 1% u have still lost

Said all Norwich fans after our smash and grab.

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Doesn't sound like we were that bad ... Ipswich are a good team and the three goal difference undeserved.

We have the core of a good team and probably need three players to compete in the playoffs.

Even if we don't get them, relegation is not happening.

score flattered to deceive them and stats flattered to deceive us.

we are a proven goal scorer away from being decent enough to scrap our way to 6th ish with steady goalkeeping.

i agree relegation is very doubtful.

also agree with whoever said we will probably get loan players or short term signings. i think we have to understand that with the fiscal realities of running a modern club outside of the prem top 12 this is perhaps the best we can hope for. RD may well surprise us though.

someone the same grade Coquelin but a striker? Coqy was a joy and i reckon we have more to come from Katrien's magic handbag.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We played 3-5-2. They played 4-3-3.

• Options
    ''Well if no one can head, then we have just found our second priority in the window, find someone who's good in the air''

Quote from above, well we have just let them go i.e. Morrison and Kermy!
    These awful decisions will come back to bite us!
    By the way have we signed a striker yet or are we leaving it to 31st Jan?
  • Options

''Well if no one can head, then we have just found our second priority in the window, find someone who's good in the air''

Quote from above, well we have just let them go i.e. Morrison and Kermy!
    These awful decisions will come back to bite us!
    By the way have we signed a striker yet or are we leaving it to 31st Jan?

No, that's usually the day we sell our best players. It's tradition.