Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

favorite European City

Seeing as the whole of Jan I have been working all over Europe, and spending days in 10 different countries

In have decided that Holland is my favorite, great people wicked boozers with atmosphere, stunning women ( no I haven't been in the red light district)

I honestly think I could live and work from here

It's so clean and full of fascinating people and beautiful towns

Where's your favorite and why

Comments

• Options
    London - 'nuff said!
  • Options
    Rome. History, scenery, food, football, the people, nightlife.
  • Options
    Outside of London, it's Rome ...so much to see, beautiful buildings and monuments, fantastic food and wine.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Excluding London - Rome for pretty much the same reasons as RP.
  • Options
    Barcelona and London
  • Options
    I agree that Amsterdam takes some beating.

Went to Berlin back in the 80s when the wall was obviously still up. Would love to go back and see it now and would be interested in hearing from anyone who's been in recent years.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Rome. History, scenery, food, football, the people, nightlife.

This

• Options
    London or Madrid for me, history, people, food, bars, shopping, sports etc.

Haven't been Rome but really want to, Paris lags behind slightly due to half the people being arrogant arseholes

Honourable mention to Krakow, love it
  • Options
    Utrecht in Holand is a great place to visit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol I know that mate I spose where we are right now falls under Amsterdam

I should have phrased it as favorite country and city

London
    Amsterdam
    Milan
    Rome
    Paris
    Prague

• Options
    edited January 2015
    London for me Closely followed by Dublin.
  • Options
    Truro.

Get a decent pint of Skinners' "Betty Stoggs" there.

And it's got a catherdral.

• Options
    Got Madrid in June to do and Budapest

Utrecht is great

We are in a place called noordwjk (spelling) lovely seaside town

Although the weather front has just really changed, got gales, hail,rain right now and had snow earlier

In just find the Dutch a real endearing group of people so welcoming and friendly, it's our third trip to Holland and each time it just gets better
  • Options
    My favourite is always the last I visited so that would be Vienna,,, next up is Madrid
  • Options

I agree that Amsterdam takes some beating.

Went to Berlin back in the 80s when the wall was obviously still up. Would love to go back and see it now and would be interested in hearing from anyone who's been in recent years.

I was there a few months ago for a uni field trip during the anniversary celebrations, they had sections of the wall everywhere and other temporary memorials put in place. It was great we were going all over the place studying the architecture during the day and then going out every night. I loved it.

Apart from London my favourite would probably be Madrid
  • Options
    We have three trips to Germany this year, I spent time there earlier this month but was just a stop gap, never got time to really take it in

Antwerp was good great shout that from skywalker, had a great architecture and shopping for jewellery

Crazy their red light district though signs on the windows 15 at one time and an ob station right in the middle of it
  • Options
    Florence.

Although Madrid is fast catching up with it. Off there next week for my third time.
  • Options
    Agree that Holland is a great place and I absolutely love Haarlem. Just outside Amsterdam, huge town square bustling with bars and cafes, massive church in the square, close to the canals. Only 20 mins or so on the train into Amsterdam.

Also love Bruges and because I have lived there I love Athens. I know it looks rough and there is graffiti absolutely everywhere but underneath is a cool, vibrant, positive and very safe city with loads to do if you look for it.
  • Options
    London
    Dublin
    Amsterdam
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Munich is a great city. I fully recommend a visit. Especially for the beer lovers out there.

London is pretty awesome too, obviously.
  • Options

Paris - It's cheap, it's clean and the people are friendly and welcoming and they really make an effort to speak English for you as they know you are a tourist.

Not forgetting the fact that they never, ever, turn their nose up at you and shrug their shoulders in an arrogant, condescending way.

Do I trace a hint of sarcasm there Brendan?

Paris is a beautiful city without a doubt - but ruined by being full of Parisians.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Paris - It's cheap, it's clean and the people are friendly and welcoming and they really make an effort to speak English for you as they know you are a tourist.

Not forgetting the fact that they never, ever, turn their nose up at you and shrug their shoulders in an arrogant, condescending way.

Do I trace a hint of sarcasm there Brendan?

Paris is a beautiful city without a doubt - but ruined by being full of Parisians.
    Just a bit. ;o)

I do love Paris, and France in general, but as you say some Parisians are very unwelcoming.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more with the attitude, we arrived at 0530 their time to install some equipment and got a lecture from a security guard on our poor french showed us as ignorant, you have to smile and try to make fun of it, but it was common theme, when we were speaking to our main contact he ripped the guy a new one telling him why people hate paris and have such a low opinion of its people

The guy was Dutch and fluent in all three, maybe we should try harder to learn but when you get past school and you failed, there isn't much you can really do about it
  • Options
    Its London for me, but outside of the UK i'd have to say Bruges. Lots of character, plenty of history, great architecture, superb beer, at 4am on a Sunday morning its so serene. Let down only by the food.
  • Options
    Copenhagen & Malmo (they kind of come as one) - great cities, if not a tad on the pricey side, but they are so friendly. Great food. Great beer, women are hot and loads to do!
  • Options
    braydex said:

Copenhagen & Malmo (they kind of come as one) - great cities, if not a tad on the pricey side, but they are so friendly. Great food. Great beer, women are hot and loads to do!

I can testify that the females are very friendly in Copenhagen.
  • Options
    Florence paris Marseille
  • Options
    Berlin, loved it. Although, I was there for the week after they won the world cup so caught it in good spirits