Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

favorite European City

Comments

• Options
    Love Krakow. Hate any city in the Netherlands and I speak from the experience of having lived there for years.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

braydex said:

Copenhagen & Malmo (they kind of come as one) - great cities, if not a tad on the pricey side, but they are so friendly. Great food. Great beer, women are hot and loads to do!

I can testify that the females are very friendly in Copenhagen.
    Me too (and I'm married to one so I know!)
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Paris - It's cheap, it's clean and the people are friendly and welcoming and they really make an effort to speak English for you as they know you are a tourist.

Not forgetting the fact that they never, ever, turn their nose up at you and shrug their shoulders in an arrogant, condescending way.

Do I trace a hint of sarcasm there Brendan?

Paris is a beautiful city without a doubt - but ruined by being full of Parisians.
    Just a bit. ;o)

I do love Paris, and France in general, but as you say some Parisians are very unwelcoming.

The rest of France don't like Parisians.

• Options
    Edinburgh, would happily move my family there if the circumstances were right.
  • Options

Edinburgh, would happily move my family there if the circumstances were right.

Completely agree - wonderful city and I too could easily live there.
  • Options
    sralan said:

Love Krakow. Hate any city in the Netherlands and I speak from the experience of having lived there for years.

I find that so strange, what made you come to that conclusion over Holland, it's been the most welcoming and helpful place we have worked, I find the people so similar to londoners with their humour and morales

Plus they love football food and beer
  • Options

The guy was Dutch and fluent in all three, maybe we should try harder to learn but when you get past school and you failed, there isn't much you can really do about it

Not strictly true mate. I did o level french but forgot most of it over time. As I began to visit France more regularly I wanted to improve and did 3 years at evening school. Got to a fairly good standard but had to give it up when my daughter was born.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Not an obvious one and not my favourite but a shout for Glasgow. Just had a great weekend there. Great bars,even better alcohol, good food and the best people in the UK.
  • Options
    I flew in from Dublin this afternoon, which is a great city.

Krakow or Paris are my favs though, with honourable mentions for Rome & Florence
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Sheffield.

Nah, not really. Amsterdam for me and not for the supposed obvious, just think it's a beautiful city and not too hectic considering it's a capital city.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Edinburgh, Buenos Aires and Granada for me. Loads of contenders.
  • Options
    Love Tallin and Dubrovnek. Stockholm is a cracking city as well. Liked Oslo but sooo expensive.

In general I am a fan of eastern Europe. Loved Riga and had a cracking time in Bratislava.
  • Options
    Going barca in march and bruges in July. London so far for me though.
  • Options

Loved Riga and had a cracking time in Bratislava.

And Chris Powell too - but Riga kept us up.

• Options

Love Tallin and Dubrovnek. Stockholm is a cracking city as well. Liked Oslo but sooo expensive.

In general I am a fan of eastern Europe. Loved Riga and had a cracking time in Bratislava.

Bratislava's a good shout, a lot of people slag it off but I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Budapest anyone??

going there in june so I hope it's up there in some peoples minds as one of the best in Europe?
  • Options
    Thing is mate I was shit in school except history and don't think I could sit in a classroom now
  • Options
    Oslo, lovely people
  • Options
    Berlin
    Glasgow
    Amsterdam

In that order.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Budapest anyone??

going there in june so I hope it's up there in some peoples minds as one of the best in Europe?

Another cracking place.
  • Options
    Cologne.

A summer evening sitting by the Rhine drinking Kölsch is pretty much my idea of heaven.
  • Options
    Sheffield
  • Options
    Pleased to see a few mentions for Madrid! Other than the obvious, I would say Prague, Berlin, Tallinn and Bruges.
  • Options
    Love Florence, beautiful city.
  • Options

Thing is mate I was shit in school except history and don't think I could sit in a classroom now

How did you manage Hendon?
  • Options
    London (even better as a visitor)
    Rome
    Barcelona
    Edinburgh
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Been to most of the cities mentioned - good choices mainly, puzzled by Bruges, lived in Belgium for a couple of years and spent too much time in the plastic little toytown entertaining guests - Antwerp and Leuven were great
  • Options

I agree that Amsterdam takes some beating.

Went to Berlin back in the 80s when the wall was obviously still up. Would love to go back and see it now and would be interested in hearing from anyone who's been in recent years.

I went to Berlin for a school trip in '79 and absolutely loved it, but I was in the East. Honestly not sure if I loved it so much for what it was like as a city or for the time spent with my Inbetweener mates.

Don't think you can beat London for culture or variety of things to do, but I wish it was a bit warmer.
  • Options
    Dubrovnik

Barca Although these 2 were visited 40 years ago.

Verona Sienna Lucca Florence - Recent visits, just love Italy. This year going to Sicily, - Siracuse & Montalbano country, anyone been there?