Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

favorite European City

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

This thread has made me want to go to all these places; Europe has just so many fabulous cities.

My 1,2,3s after London are Venice, Rome and Amsterdam (just pips Paris because my wife is part Dutch).

Also love Edinburgh, Oslo, Madrid, Stockholm, Talinn, St Petersburg, Vienna, Salzburg, Bruges, Copenhagen, Florence.

And Prague, and Kraków and loads of others!
  • Options
    London

Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid

Venice, Genoa

Dubrovnik
  • Options
    Amsterdam for me. Then Paris.
  • Options
    Munich for me. Wonderful place.

Loved Bruges & Ghent though, mainly for the beer and the excellent bars.

• Options
    Anyone that's been to paris reciently want to recommend anything? Im going with the mrs in a couple of weeks but i havent been since i was a teenager and she's never been. (Tower already booked)
  • Options
    after London.....then I reckon Prague and Bruges for a 'city break'
  • Options
    Surely its Liege , innit ?!
  • Options

Surely its Liege , innit ?!

Standard!
  • Options

Anyone that's been to paris reciently want to recommend anything? Im going with the mrs in a couple of weeks but i havent been since i was a teenager and she's never been. (Tower already booked)

Take her up the Eife..... oh, just seen that you've already booked it.
  • Options
    Marseille ....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love La Coruña and Madrid (just got back from a business trip- bloody cold in Winter) Apart from London, Paris and Berlin are both great. For me Ámsterdam and Seville are hugely overrated)
  • Options
    London, Berlin, Barcelona
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Another vote for Florence for me, beautiful city and beautiful area of italy. my mate studied out there for 6 months and me and some mates went and stayed with him for a few nights. Best holiday we've had, gorgeous weather, scenery and gorgeous women.
  • Options
    Places I've really enjoyed

Budapest and Reykjavik were awesome

Notable mentions
    Copenhagen
    Oslo
    Florence
    Sorrento
    Dublin

• Options
    Prague ---great weekend break
  • Options

Couldn't agree more with the attitude, we arrived at 0530 their time to install some equipment and got a lecture from a security guard on our poor french showed us as ignorant, you have to smile and try to make fun of it, but it was common theme, when we were speaking to our main contact he ripped the guy a new one telling him why people hate paris and have such a low opinion of its people

The guy was Dutch and fluent in all three, maybe we should try harder to learn but when you get past school and you failed, there isn't much you can really do about it

Love this!! Tongue in cheek right? So, we should go to a foreign country and expect 'them' to speak English!! Really?? That's what I love about the English abroad - no effort to have a go at the local lingo and an inherently flawed expectation that every foreigner should speak cock-er-nee!

Here's a random thought!! Try carrying a local phrase book with you and at least give it a go!! You may find then that their 'arrogance' subsides somewhat, not to mention the self enlightenment and personal development you may benefit from! Everyday is a school day, don't hide from it and use ignorance as an excuse! Just coz you've left school it certainly does not mean that 'there isn't much you can really do about it'!

No, they're not arrogant, it's us lazy English who are sadly!!

Just imagine a French or German national coming to England and giving it:

"Parlez vous Francais" or "Sprechen sie Deutsch"?

Just wouldn't work would it!
  • Options

Couldn't agree more with the attitude, we arrived at 0530 their time to install some equipment and got a lecture from a security guard on our poor french showed us as ignorant, you have to smile and try to make fun of it, but it was common theme, when we were speaking to our main contact he ripped the guy a new one telling him why people hate paris and have such a low opinion of its people

The guy was Dutch and fluent in all three, maybe we should try harder to learn but when you get past school and you failed, there isn't much you can really do about it

Love this!! Tongue in cheek right? So, we should go to a foreign country and expect 'them' to speak English!! Really?? That's what I love about the English abroad - no effort to have a go at the local lingo and an inherently flawed expectation that every foreigner should speak cock-er-nee!

Here's a random thought!! Try carrying a local phrase book with you and at least give it a go!! You may find then that their 'arrogance' subsides somewhat, not to mention the self enlightenment and personal development you may benefit from! Everyday is a school day, don't hide from it and use ignorance as an excuse! Just coz you've left school it certainly does not mean that 'there isn't much you can really do about it'!

No, they're not arrogant, it's us lazy English who are sadly!!

Just imagine a French or German national coming to England and giving it:

"Parlez vous Francais" or "Sprechen sie Deutsch"?

Just wouldn't work would it!
    Agree, I've been there several times and never had a problem (and my french is far from fluent)

I always maintain you should try and learn a couple of phrases, even if it's just, please, thank you, hello and goodbye when you go abroad. It goes a long way. Times ive seen people (often American) who are clearly being ignored because they're too lazy to even say hello in the native language.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    not all done well enough at school to be able to even really understand a phrase book, I didn't want to conversate with the guy just get him to open a door, he spoke English was just to up his own Parisian arse to open it,

Funny how most other countries allow for such things and the french don't
  • Options
    I've always found French people to be friendly and patient when I've been there.

I'm not a fan of Paris or Parisians though
  • Options

Pop down here Dave pal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Berlin is a fantastic city, have been there several times. Also loved Nuremberg, Munich and Cologne. Most people you bump into speak very good English and are more than willing to speak in English with you so no need to be able to speak the local language, can be a bit of a pain if you're trying to practice your German though!
  • Options
    Just today been offered a place at the university of Amsterdam for 4 months starting in September. Absolutely buzzing. If anyone has some recommendations for things to do there (off the beaten track) I'd love to hear em.
  • Options
    Seviile
  • Options
    Istanbul, I wonder why...;)
  • Options
    1. Barcelona 2. Athens 3. Edinburgh 4. London
  • Options
    Krakow, Prague, Venice...Lisbon and Coimbra also, Galway's a good city as well for a weekend visit
  • Options
    Barcelona for me
  • Options

We have three trips to Germany this year, I spent time there earlier this month but was just a stop gap, never got time to really take it in

Antwerp was good great shout that from skywalker, had a great architecture and shopping for jewellery

Crazy their red light district though signs on the windows 15 at one time and an ob station right in the middle of it

No wonder ur going back 3 times
  • Options
    Barcelona hands down
  • Options

We have three trips to Germany this year, I spent time there earlier this month but was just a stop gap, never got time to really take it in

Antwerp was good great shout that from skywalker, had a great architecture and shopping for jewellery

Crazy their red light district though signs on the windows 15 at one time and an ob station right in the middle of it

No wonder ur going back 3 times
    Antwerp central train station was voted the most beautiful in the world. How come not a single soul mentions this, but always goes on telling how great the red light district was ? Hmm ... :)