Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top War Films

Comments

• Options

stonemuse said:

TV series- Tour of duty..

Brilliant series ...wish it was available on DVD ...update, now available in uk
    I've been waiting years for this!
    Used to love sat nights, pub, motd then Tour of Duty. I watched a couple of episodes the other day still enjoyed it mainly for the nostalgia, its a bit cheesy & dated 20 years on
  • Options

stonemuse said:

TV series- Tour of duty..

Brilliant series ...wish it was available on DVD ...update, now available in uk
    I've been waiting years for this!
    Can get it on amazon and eBay, region 2 DVD
  • Options

or Band of Brothers

Have to say I preferred BOB to Pacific although the relentless grind of the Island hopping and ferocity of the fighting is conveyed very well in Pacific. These films are endlessly fascinating as they serve so many purposes, often this purpose changes with subsequent generations. I remember watching The Cruel Sea for the first time and being frustrated by the pace of it and being told by my Dad to watch myself if my uncle heard me saying similar. He'd been on Arctic convoys. No idea how many times have seen it now.
  • Options
    The Thin Red Line.
  • Options
    Glory (OK I'm a Civil War buff) and Hollywood usually fuck up films on the subject.

Zulu (has to be)

Lawrence of Arabia

The Cruel Sea
  • Options
    The duellist.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Glory (OK I'm a Civil War buff) and Hollywood usually fuck up films on the subject.

Zulu (has to be)

Lawrence of Arabia

The Cruel Sea

They certainly fucked up Gods & Generals
  • Options
    The killing fields
    The great escape
    Enemy at the gate
    Zulu
    Gallipoli
  • Options
    1. Funeral in Berlin (hopefully the Cold War counts!)

2. The Way to the Stars or Battle of Britain

3. Downfall

4. Waterloo or Zulu

5. Paths of Glory

There is a new Falklands War film in production. It is called 'Destroyer' and is the story of the sinking of HMS Coventry.

• Options
    Zulu ...justifiably ...seems to come out top in this thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Post WW2 film. Tricky category, I'm going with the hurt locker

2. WW2 film. saving private ryan, mostly for the truly astonishing opening scene, watching that at the cinema was amazing

3. Film not involving Brits or Yanks. das boot. one of the best films of all time, definitely in my top 10, deserves more love

4. Pre-WW1 film. zulu, ainec, again one of the best of all time

5. WW1 film- all quiet on the western front
  • Options
    Taking a liberty here as it’s definitely not “Post WW2” but have just watched the excellent and award winning Darkest Hour starring Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill.  It was like watching the great man himself.
  • Options
    Hacksaw Ridge is a brilliant film!
  • Options
    Black Hawk Down
    Saving Private Ryan
    The 9th Company
    Zulu
  • Options
    rina said:
    1. Post WW2 film. Tricky category, I'm going with the hurt locker 2. WW2 film. saving private ryan, mostly for the truly astonishing opening scene, watching that at the cinema was amazing 3. Film not involving Brits or Yanks. das boot. one of the best films of all time, definitely in my top 10, deserves more love 4. Pre-WW1 film. zulu, ainec, again one of the best of all time 5. WW1 film- all quiet on the western front
    Dear god it took me far too long to understand your post - I read it at first and thought "Zulu didnt come out before WW1, it came out in the 60s" 
  • Options
    Enemy at the gates is a cracker.
  • Options
    Went the Day Well
  • Options
    Dunkirk (the first one with John Mills)
  • Options
    Taking a liberty here as it’s definitely not “Post WW2” but have just watched the excellent and award winning Darkest Hour starring Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill.  It was like watching the great man himself.
    Except the bit when he was on the London Underground talking to "Marcus". Fuck me...
  • Options
    1. Apocalypse Now
    2. Enigma
    3. The lives of others
    4. Zulu
    5. Carry on up the Kyber
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    Black Hawk Down
    Saving Private Ryan
    The 9th Company
    Zulu
    About time Black Hawk Down was mentioned. Amazing film, the action is relentless. 
  • Options
    A massive cast as well, like a whose who of Hollywood
  • Options
    Good Morning Vietnam Bridge on the River Kwai Life is Beautiful Zulu All Quiet on the Western Front
    Life is beautiful is a great film.
  • Options
    Lawrence of Arabia - full version. 4 hours I think.
    Zulu
  • Options
    Enemy at the gates is a cracker.
    I watched it again during the week, cracking film
  • Options
    Not a film but highly recommend the HBO miniseries Generation Kill about Marines at the beginning of the invasion or Iraq. Excellent show. 
  • Options
    Has “Empire of the Sun” been mentioned?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
     My all time favourite, which I’ve not seen mentioned ……..”The English Patient.”
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Not a film but highly recommend the HBO miniseries Generation Kill about Marines at the beginning of the invasion or Iraq. Excellent show. 
    That was excellent, an easy 10 of tnen. Read Ficks book as well as Evan Wrights and it very accurate depiction 
  • Options
    Soldier Blue
    Quite controversial at the time for its take on the US Indian wars.