Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top War Films

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Post WW2 -Apocalypse Now
    WW2. - Saving Private Ryan
    No Brits or Yanks. - Enemy at the Gates
    WW1. -  Lawrence of Arabia
    Pre WW1. - The Good the Bad and the Ugly, but pretty much tied with Zulu

And shout out to Pork Sword calling Danny Bhoy. That's Where Eagles Dare, my all time fave as a youth. I even wore the Alistair MaClean book to tatters.
  • Options
    1. Post WW2 film. Full Metal Jacket

2. WW2 film. Patten

3. Film not involving Brits or Yanks. Battle for Algiers (not strictly a 'war film' more a fight for independence 

4. Pre-WW1 film. Waterloo (1970 version)

5. WW1 film- Difficult choice this .. Warhorse
  • Options
    1. Rome, Open City
    2. Bridge Over the river Kwai/From Here to Eternity
    3. Battle of Algiers
    4. Seven Samurai
    5. All Quiet on the Western Front 

• Options
    1. Apocslypse Now
    2. Downfall (though have a soft spot for Colonel Blimp)
    3. Enemy at the Gates
    4. Glory
    5. Paths of Glory
  • Options
    Operation Mincemeat is a great WW2 film.
  • Options

2. WW2 film. Patten

3. Film not involving Brits or Yanks. Battle for Algiers (not strictly a 'war film' more a fight for independence 

One of my all time favourites, ironically was just watching a clip on YouTube when the Prussians arrive

Given they had no CGI back in the 70s, the scale of people used to film the battle scenes were outstanding - I'm looking forward to Ridley Scott's film on Napoleon next year, as there are so few films to choose from in that specific era
  • Options
    Cannot believe no one had mentioned Iron Sky.
  • Options

2. WW2 film. Patten

One of my all time favourites, ironically was just watching a clip on YouTube when the Prussians arrive

Given they had no CGI back in the 70s, the scale of people used to film the battle scenes were outstanding - I'm looking forward to Ridley Scott's film on Napoleon next year, as there are so few films to choose from in that specific era
    Russian director, perhaps he used the Red Army as extras, 15,000 according to wiki, the largest number ever ..  nice foreign currency earner for the Kremlin if he did .. the two main characters, Napoleon and Wellington were played by two of my favourite actors of the era, Rod Steiger and Christopher Plummer .. it was i m o (and yours it seems) a really terrific film .. Ridley Scott's films are usually the biz but he'll need to pull out all the stops to come close to the original, which apart from the battle scenes went deeply into the characters of Bonaparte and Wellington, the man who gets my vote as the greatest ever British soldier .. also there have been a couple of fairly recent documentaries about Waterloo and a very good historical book by Bernard Cornwell, better known as a prolific fiction author
  • Options
    The Siege Of Jadotville whilst not in my top 10 is a bloody good watch (on Netflix).

very interesting as a true historical event, and the only time the Irish (Eire) army has ever seen action.