Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any Ice Hockey fans?

Comments

• Options
    Or a Habs fan when playing the Bruins..!!!! Now there's rivalry and atmosphere; some animosity remains when its Montreal vs Toronto, but not like the "old days"...LOL.....
  • Options
    Old Hartford Whalers fan but don't really follow a team after we wuz stolen away. If anything Bruins interest me due to my kids liking them but then again they were a Whalers rival! I miss watching live NHL hockey
  • Options
    Canuck fan here. Being my local team here. Haven't been to a game yet this season though
  • Options
    Nug said:

Rangers fan after living in NY a few years back. Saw them win Stanley Cup when Messier was captain, what a leader he was.

Same here, saw them beat Los Angeles Kings back in 2000-2001 season 7-6.
  • Options
    Great sport Ice Hockey. Went to see the team that used to play at the Docklands Arena a few times, been to see Belfast Giants and also pop in to see my local team Chelmsford Chieftains (current leaders of National Ice Hockey League South ) every now and again. They get crowds of about 800-1000 which is pretty good really.

One of the funniest sporting moments I've seen was at Chelmsford. Two players had a massive fight and could not be separated. So the police were called. A PC then arrived and slid on his arse across the ice before eventually arresting one of the protagonists. Seeing the PC in his plod boots trying to drag a hockey player on blades across the ice was a real comedy moment.
  • Options
    With their win the weekend it could also be argued the Leafs can't even do tanking right. It might be a bit of a push to squeeze into the McDavid sweepstake, but a high pick is imperative if we're to rebuild. It's definitely time to tear the team up, just a shame we've locked ourselves into some really ugly contracts, if there's a worse contract than David Clarksons I'm yet to see it.

The Puck Podcast is worth a listen if people like to keep in touch with what's going on in the league. I also listen to Hockey Central @ Noons podcast but that's very Canadian team dominant really.
  • Options

Canuck fan here. Being my local team here. Haven't been to a game yet this season though

Have you met any other addicks in Vancouver? (Not including those in DTES!) how long have you lived here?
  • Options
    The Leafs just find new ways to suck every year. The Clarkson contract is a case in point. You could argue that the Failures signed Lecavalier to almost as bad a contract but at least he had a decent record to point to. Clarkson's record with the Devils was average at best, but the Leafs signed him to a sheet that made it look like he was the second coming of Gordie Howe.
  • Options
    Been to see the Ducks a few times when we are over in OC. Find it very hard to watch live as it takes me a while to get my eye in. I simply can't see the puck. Must say that some of the fights can be vicious!
  • Options
    I went to see the Romford , sorry London Raiders just before Christmas, not quite up their in the glamour stakes, which ice hockey was more high profile in this country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross_cafc said:

Have you met any other addicks in Vancouver? (Not including those in DTES!) how long have you lived here?
    Well there's me at the moment but only until Friday afternoon then back across the Rockies to Alberta
  • Options
    Watching pens v red wings right now on tv. 4-1 pens 3rd period. Comedy keeper fleury having a good game......
  • Options
    San Jose Sharks fan, the perennial regular season achievers, but play off failures....

love gamecentre app as well. Hate those Ducks and Kings with a passion
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I follow the Red Wings and manage to listen to a number of games on internet radio wwjnews950 the local Detroit news station. The Game centre app also works well

Hockey is the sport most compatible to football to my mind, tradition, rivalries, atmosphere and the excitement and speed of the game itself.

I first went to a game through work a few years ago and now get to the Joe at least once a season, I might even throw a live octopus on the Valley pitch as a protest to RD and nod to Rally Al!
  • Options
    Historically been a Wings fan, although I say that it was more when I was younger and got to watch a lot more of the games. Recently been seeing a girl from Vancouver who brought me back a load of Canucks gear at Christmas
  • Options
    hi thecrazyaddick and Ross_cafc Another Canuck fan here, have lived in the greater Vancouver area for the best part of 38 years, now live in Langley. When first came to Canada lived in Montreal area for 4 years so Habs are no.2. Where you guys living?
  • Options
    Life-long Toronto Maple Leaf fan. Interesting to see this thread today and the Globe and Mail piece on how the powers to be in Toronto are trying to fix the Leafs. Food for thought for CAFC?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/kelly-shanahans-scorched-earth-leafs-plan-wins-mlse-support/article22938348/
  • Options

hi thecrazyaddick and Ross_cafc Another Canuck fan here, have lived in the greater Vancouver area for the best part of 38 years, now live in Langley. When first came to Canada lived in Montreal area for 4 years so Habs are no.2. Where you guys living?

Just moved here 2 weeks ago - living downtown in coal harbour for six months and then will reassess depending on jobs etc. went to see the Canucks just after we got here - really enjoyed it and think I'll get into hockey more than some of the other sports here.

• Options
    Another Canucks fan here!!! My local team (8 hours drive away!!). Seen them few times live. Totally love the game, no diving, good honest game. Disagree with the no atmosphere no rivalry suggestion; admittedly sometimes the atmosphere does lack somewhat but doesn't it with footy at times? You will never get the rivalry you get in football for sure but there are some super rivalries about, especially in the east with some of the original 6 teams.
  • Options
    Well, I just went to see Manchester Phoenix with my girlfriend and her kids - they loved it. 5-1 pasting and two quality fights. Can't beat it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @vancouverbcaddick - live up in Whistler, have done on and off for 7 years now!! Though thinking about moving down to the city end of this summer potentially.
  • Options
    Big Rangers fan the only sport I know if an opponent posses you off you can beat the crape out of them take a 5min penalty and be back playing. Bench clearing brawls even better.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    So some finally balanced games in the first round of the play-off. Good result for the Pens last time out.

Massive slice of luck for the Oilers last night in the Draft Lottery, maybe picking up the new Gretzky in McDavid this year - excited to see if this kid can live up to the hype.
  • Options

So some finally balanced games in the first round of the play-off. Good result for the Pens last time out.

Massive slice of luck for the Oilers last night in the Draft Lottery, maybe picking up the new Gretzky in McDavid this year - excited to see if this kid can live up to the hype.

A lot of pressure on Connor McDavid as the new Gretzky/Crosby. Feel a little sorry for Buffalo though missing out- they could do with some help.

Enjoying play offs, 6 of the 8 series are tide up at a game each after 2 games. Not sure who I want to win though. Montreal looking good.
  • Options
    Yeah being the next whoever and delivering on your youthful potential are two separate things. Oilers fans sa round here suggesting its a bit of karma for Buffalo and Arizona for going all out for last place to try a secure the first pick while the oilers kept trying ( and largely failing) to win.

The city is Hockey mad and it deserves a better team than it's had recently, hopefully getting McDavid will help them attract some better players to fill some of the other holes in the squad.

I'm hoping Montreal do it this year, it's been too long since we had a Canadian winner.
  • Options
    Pittsburgh will win the Stanley Cup, mark my words!
  • Options
    Awaiting another vancouver riot if we loose!
  • Options
    Hahaha Sheedy. That's the funniest thing I've read for some time. Much as I would love that to be true, there's more chance of Charlton winning the league... This season! Pens are too banged up to win more than one more game this season, and that slump at the end of the season was horrible. No form going into the playoffs means no chance in them.

I'd prefer McDavid to go to the Oilers too. Proper team, with proper fans,and a proper history. Only problem is, they're such a small market team, he might end up with Alexandre Daigle syndrome and be a Charlie big potatoes
  • Options

Pittsburgh will win the Stanley Cup, mark my words!

Hope not, will have to put up with the Mrs cooing about Crosby for a while. I hear it enough already.